Thread: Question for .45-70 shooters.

Default Question for .45-70 shooters.

A close friend of mine is doing some R&D work for some possible cartridges to manufacture in the future.

His question was this.

Would any of you that shoot .45-70's see a use/market for cartirdges that contained 4 or so buck-shot balls in a .45-70 case? Obviously these would be for close encounter, sort of "in-camp" type loads not intended for bear defense or anything of the sort.

What do you think? I still am unsure whether they would be useful or not.

That sort of round is usefull, in a 12 gauge shotgun. Not sure what you mean by "in camp, not intended for bear defense". How would he try to market these? What are there purpose?
    Tennessee

I shoot a lot of 45/70's and I wouldn't have a use for the "buckshot" 45/70 loads.
    Not sure what they would be used for?
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Buck and ball loads in the 45-70 are differant.from what I have read you need to use a 45-90 case and crimp a gas check over the top of it . I might be wrong on the case size because it's been a while since I read anything on this topic . No I would not use buckshot for close range gallery loads I would either purchase gallery bullets from western bullet company or if I was going to shoot a lot of them I would get a bullet mold from Brp products LLC. Two differant styles of bullets But thay would be easier to do load work up and still be able to use 45-70 cases and be able to relialbly cycle through a lever action.

Brian

Well that's what I thought too. I guess "in camp" was the wrong choice of words. I just meant not for hunting. He's thinking more along the lines of defense against humans. The main product he is working on is for the Judges/BFR's, and thought about working up a similar load for the .45-70.

Not for me,prefer one big pellet in camp as in the field plus you know where its going
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I think the rifling would throw the patterns so wild that it would be useless....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I think the rifling would throw the patterns so wild that it would be useless....
    Agreed. You can put a .410 shot shell in your .45/70 if you want. I might do that with bird shot if I saw a grouse and really wanted it.
    As far a buck shot goes, IMO, it makes a perfectly good gun useless. You would be lucky to hit anything outside of 5 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    . You would be lucky to hit anything outside of 5 yards.
    Inside of 5 yards a Marlin 45-70 should make one heck of a nice club.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

kenaikid

Default triball

I've been loading a triball load for years in my old marlin gun they work great.Three hard cast .458 balls cast from a RCBS double cav mold sittin on top of 8.5 grains of uniqe throws them balls very nice indeed,I usem for rabbits sittin or running or birds on the fly they keep a 10 to 12in pattern out to 40yrds or so,with very little recoil givem a try i think you'll like.crimp the case in the middle of the top ball.
    Good shootin KK.

Well, he did quite a bit of testing/experimenting with the rounds this weekend. He felt like it was more of a 20 yd and in cartridge. At that range all three balls were staying in about a 4" group. They started to open up pretty quickly past 20 yds.

Of the "benefits" he sees for .45-70 cartidges loaded with 3 balls, one is that if you're out with say your family or perhaps anyone who is not familiar/comfortable with full house .45/70's and something happens to you to make you unable to shoot the rifle, these rounds would still offer some level of utility and/or defense for your wife or child.

Again, I am not sure yet there would be a market for these. But my friend is developing some similar rounds to get in on the popularity of the Judge revolvers and had the idea to try the same thing with the .45-70. I hope for his sake that they would sell wonderfully. I just knew you guys up there in AK use a lot more .45-70 than anybody down here so I thought I would get your opinions.

kenaikid

Evan,What rifle is he using for testing,I use an old marlin with the micro groove riflin,my mold drops at .4585 with lino lead and then i dunkum in ice water,rollem around in alox with a small dab between balls,i found with just straight old pig lead they deform and groups start to open up quickly.I also goofed around with diffrent powders and found that the pistol type worked the best,and don,t pushem to fast.
    KK.

The rifle is a Marlin of some ilk. I haven't seen it. He was gettting good performance from IMR-4227 I think. They were going around 1100 fps. He also had good luck with Trail Boss though they were much slower.

Thing about bears is you never want to wound one and then say good he is gone
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Sounds like a fun project. I'd say keep the velocities low though. Last thing you'd want to do is lead up the barrel while in the woods. Nothing says fun like a leaded barrel.