Thread: what should we fish for with kids?

Default what should we fish for with kids?

I am vacationing in Alaska, and would like to take three nephews 17,16, & 12 fishing. on July 30th we would have time for a 1 day trip. What should we fish for? we are staying in Anchorage. My dad of 70 is also going to be with.

Don't know what your budget is but I would think about a fly in trip for silvers out of Anchorage. Otherwise, get out of Anchorage and drive either to Seward for saltwater fishing or go to the Kenai for red/king fishing. I don't think there will be a whole lot going on right in Anchorage at the end of July (Ship Creek maybe?).

That is no problem to drive out to Seward. Is the king fishing still decent the end of July? what about Silver Salmon? The halibut fishing would be fine to. which species is the most likely to have the best action?

The end of july the Silver action should be the best at Seward.... /John

If you want your kids to catch fish until their arms fall off and go to sleep with a permenant smile on their face, take them to Valdez in July. The pinks are in during that time. It is simple bank fishing. All you need is a rod, and waders help when the tide is out a ways. Go to Allison Point or fish off the rocks at Otter park. Put on a Pixie on light-medium tackle depending on their fishing skills and let them have a ball. Recommend you tie on an 18" steel leader to prevent prevent loss of lures as the lures run deep and the bottom is full of jagged rocks. The leader will save you money. If you chose to not use the leader, I recommend you retie the snap swivel after a few fish. Pinks get pretty thick in the Bay and start to roll the first week in July and get thicker as the month progresses. The Silvers will start to roll in at the end of July and Beginning of August. Some years, you could almost walk across their backs they are so thick. They are pretty good to eat fresh, but they don't freeze well. Don't waste your money to get them vacumm sealed, flash frozen and sent home. Save that for Silvers, Kings, Reds, Halibut etc... Canning them is the way to go. They run-4-6 pound average and like to jump. You can take them to Seward, but to be honest, fishing on the bank can get pretty slow in Seward during that time, as the silvers really are not in yet. If you have a boat or take a charter, its a different story but it will be spendy. Then again, its a trip of a life time. Not sure on your budget. Anyways, I hope they have a blast.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default A Party Of 5 On the End Of July

Rand
    The end of July is the finish of King season.Sometimes that is when the most Kings are in a river (Kenai).With the bunch you will have with you ,a combo for Kings and reds would be a lot of fun and you could bring home a lot of fresh fish as well.If your nephews have never been up here,and you can get into a bunch of sockeye,they will have a ball.Often when escapement goals have been met,the state will up the daily limit from 3 to 6 fish per person per day.Whatever you do,have a blast......

Valdez is a great place but if you only have a day and you're in Anchorage and I'm not sure you would want to drive there. It's about 300 miles each way. Driving hard it will take you 6-7 hours to get there, 6-7 hours to get back. Sure doesn't leave you much time for fishing.

If you have a day and you're in Anchorage you'll want to travel no more than 3 hours each way. That puts you in the Valley or the Kenai Peninsula and my preference is the latter.

Have fun on your trip!

With bait that big you should be able to fish for whatever you want....DUUF - er uh - you have some good advise above!

Great, thanks for the help, was able to get hooked up with Jerry at Alaska fish on, fishing the Kenai. We will just go with the flow if yah know what i mean. I have to say the Valdez sounds like an awesome time! Next Time.

I think your best bet in that time frame for a inexpencive day trip would be to go to Hope and fish resurection creek for pink salmon and there may be a couple silvers and chums mixed in. As stated earlier pinks are not the best table fare but there should be lots in the creek that time of year and should be a blast for everyone!