Thread: Better snow conditions and some birds

Default Better snow conditions and some birds

Winchester and I climbed up to a big east-west running valley at 2200 feet yesterday. The snow on the south side was fairly decent for the pup. After a half mile or so his nose took across the valley floor and up the north side. The snow up from the valley floor on the north was bad, I was over knee deep with 9X30 snowshoes and Winchester was plowing most the time. But he found birds. He found, and I shot three singles, lots of tracks in the thickets but after three birds (two whitetails and a willow) I had enough and we pulled the plug. The athleticism and stamina of these dogs is amazing. While in the field he never stops except to point or I make him pose for a picture. Won’t eat, won’t drink, he is just completely driven and it is a joy to watch.
    I've been using vaseline between his pads on his feet and it works great, never get iced up and doesn't bother him bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good for you two! Thanks for sharing.

Jim

Thanks for sharing. How much new snow are you guys getting down that way? I'm afraid this new snow on top of already bad conditions is going to make it tough to find a place to "play" this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    Thanks for sharing. How much new snow are you guys getting down that way? I'm afraid this new snow on top of already bad conditions is going to make it tough to find a place to "play" this weekend.
    The weather folks have been saying snow for a couple of days but we actually just got a bit of a dusting so far. There hasn't been any new snow in the Cooper Landing area for weeks. I am heading back that way today for other business, I'll let you know if that changes. Dang, season is coming to a close way to fast this year!

Good for you...it is amazing what a dog with desire will accomplish. I hope to find some "reasonable" conditions before the season closes.

thanks for sharing, thats one great dowg you got there.
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

By last night there was about 1-1/2 inches of new snow in Cooper Landing, just a dusting from the Seward Y south to Seward and about 3 inches outside of Sterling.

Thanks again for the info. As of last weekend the spots I tried North of A-town the snow was sugar with a slight crust on top. Meaning the birds can run and me and Nitro where sucking. I might have to try a new spot down that way somewhere this weekend. I know it won't be the best but time is running out. I'll be stuck in a big sandbox next year and wishing I was out hunting.

Thanks again for the info. As of last weekend the spots I tried North of A-town the snow was sugar with a slight crust on top. Meaning the birds can run and me and Nitro where sucking. I might have to try a new spot down that way somewhere this weekend. I know it won't be the best but time is running out. I'll be stuck in a big sandbox next year and wishing I was out hunting.
    I was having the same problem. Scared up a couple but my pup is two little (8 months) and I didn't want to hurt her so we called it a day and just went for a hike on the trail.

I went out yesterday and found 10 inches of new snow...we stuck pretty much to snow machine trails with a few forays into cover. Those side trips were pointless (pun intended).... Swimming dogs and I sunk to my naval a couple times, even with snow shoes. We were on the trail before anyone else so it was trackless and my Britt was up to her belly when she was on the packed trail.

Ember came out with a limp...she seems better today, still not baring full weight but I think she is out for the weekend at least.
    Last edited by Burke; 03-18-2011 at 12:56. Reason: add

Burke,
    Sorry to hear about your dog. I'm afraid I push my pup a little a too hard sometimes. I hate to see the season end with the snow like this.

Burke,
    Sorry to hear about your dog. I'm afraid I push my pup a little a too hard sometimes. I hate to see the season end with the snow like this.
    have you guys been to the Wrangells at all? I'm going to head over that way looking for some hard snow this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    I went out yesterday and found 10 inches of new snow...we stuck pretty much to snow machine trails with a few forays into cover. Those side trips were pointless (pun intended).... Swimming dogs and I sunk to my naval a couple times, even with snow shoes. We were on the trail before anyone else so it was trackless and my Britt was up to her belly when she was on the packed trail.

Ember came out with a limp...she seems better today, still not baring full weight but I think she is out for the weekend at least.
    Dang, I thought we had it bad down this way, that sounds fairly awful. Hope your pup gets along okay.

I'm jealous! Sounds like you guys are getting at it pretty good! Winchester is looking great!

when does the season end?