Thread: Mud slinger paddles for Argo?

Default Mud slinger paddles for Argo?

Has anyone ever tried using the Mud Slinger paddles for better propulsion in water. I was thinking a set on the rear tires of my Conquest might push me alot better then my tires alone.

I wonder if they can be removed while driving and then deployed before entering the water?
    Here's the link http://goodoutdoors.theshoppe.com/atv_mud_paddles.html

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Fireman View Post
    Has anyone ever tried using the Mud Slinger paddles for better propulsion in water. I was thinking a set on the rear tires of my Conquest might push me alot better then my tires alone.

I wonder if they can be removed while driving and then deployed before entering the water?
    Here's the link http://goodoutdoors.theshoppe.com/atv_mud_paddles.html
    Looks interesting, but at $250 per pair, a small outboard isn't much more.

Then you can do things like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

$100 dollar trolling motor...Problem solved

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    $100 dollar trolling motor...Problem solved
    Has anybody tried electric trolling motors on Argos?

I thought about it. The reason I didn't try it was because the biggest electric trolling motor available for a 12V system is 55 lb. I thought that was too weak, even for just crossing bigger rivers.

I'm just about to buy a 7 HP Merc outboard. All I need it for is crossing rivers.

Am I going wrong? Does a 12V trolling motor have enough power?

I don't know about on an Argo but we built an 8'X10" floating dock, loaded it with lumber for our cabin and crossed the lake with a 36 lb/thrust trolling motor. Took 2 trips to get all the lumber across. It wasn't the fastest but it sure beat rowing.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    I don't know about on an Argo but we built an 8'X10" floating dock, loaded it with lumber for our cabin and crossed the lake with a 36 lb/thrust trolling motor. Took 2 trips to get all the lumber across. It wasn't the fastest but it sure beat rowing.
    No doubt.

Sounds like two heavy loads, but no current.

Anybody out there put an electric trolling motor on an Argo?

Mark,
    I run them on my Argos, But I'm not crossing any fast water ,What rivers are you thinking about ? I use them for small streams and ponds,

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Looks interesting, but at $250 per pair, a small outboard isn't much more.

Then you can do things like this:
    I have a 2hp outboard that I haven't tried yet. The problem is that I will have to climb into the back to operate it.

Remember this price is Canadian.

I think it would work because the rear wheels tend to float higher in the water because of the forward weight.

Mark

Mark,
    I run them on my Argos, But I'm not crossing any fast water ,What rivers are you thinking about ? I use them for small streams and ponds,
    Fairly big rivers (25 yards wide and deeper than a swampbuggy can ford) with currents in the 5 mph range.

It's the only way to leave the crowds behind.

Question

How well do they steer in the water? Would you be able to run the outboard and use the tires for steering or are they to slow?

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    How well do they steer in the water? Would you be able to run the outboard and use the tires for steering or are they to slow?
    They do not steer in water without a motor, I useto use my body weight to shift from side to side to turn before the trolling motor.My buddy has an outboard on his and it does great.In some cases where we go if I'm loaded and its only chest high I'll put my chest waders on and walk it across, Now this fall when we were in moose hunting the creeks cam up so high and were so fast we thought we were going to have to camp out till the water went down. But I waded across with the winch and an extra 100 ft of rope and we let the current drag us up to the other bank and then winched us in. Would I do that again ONLY IF I WAS BLEEDING TO DEATH !!! But all turned out ok.

Mark

....But I waded across with the winch and an extra 100 ft of rope and we let the current drag us up to the other bank and then winched us in. Would I do that again ONLY IF I WAS BLEEDING TO DEATH !!! But all turned out ok.
    I've done it that way. In those cases I don't think an outboard would have been much help, anyway.

Some of the reasons I liked the trolling motor idea was because of it's light weight, compact structure, no need for fuel tank, and an ability to steer it from the front seat with the mounts available on bass boats.

I just don't know if they have enough power to justify the expenditure of setting mine up to try it.

I'm certain 55 lbs of thrust beats the mud tires I have on in terms of propulsion and control, but will it have enough to offer some control in a 5-7 mph current?

How many "pounds of thrust" does a 7 hp outboard provide?