Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting a new gun.

Default Thinking about getting a new gun.

Here is the deal, I am a kid, so I never have a bunch of money to spend on a gun (maybe 350 tops)

I was looking into the 17 HMR (180 bucks average, bolt action, very plain, but I don't care) My grandpa has the same one, and I really like it. BUT, I want a multi purpose gun, and I've seen what a 17 HMR does to squirrels and grouse.

SO, I was thinking about teh 17 HM2, What would the max effective range be on that?

But, my 32 is getting really old and the rifleing are getting screwed up, So I was looking at the negants (sp?) (7.62X54r) My understanding is they are inbetween the -06 and the 308, I know the 308 is a popular coyote and fox round, so, what would a FMJ outta the 7.62 do to a fox? (plus it has open sights, I HATE scopes)

OR, I was thinking about the 243, now, a 243 puts out more energy at 300 yards than my 32 does at 200, and it puts out 1200Ft Lbs of energy at 200 yards, SO, I would be using it for moose, caribou and bears.

I currently am hunting with a 1100 that I shoot slugs and buckshot out of, but I would love to get a new gun, all my own!

What are you guyses thoughts?

is there any other round that would be a good MULTI purpose round? Mainly I am looking for a prredator rifle, but I would love to be able to use it for big game.

I am also looking for one that can effectivly take predators out to 150 yards. last fall I called in a few fox, and seen some running, at 100-150 yards, never got any closer and a 22 LR just don't cut it for that range!

Thanks in advance!

Oh, I forgo to mention the 22 MAG. I was also looking into that for the wide range of bullets.

if you are looking for somthing for predators and possibly big game i would recomend the 243 50gr or so fmj. the 204 would be a good choise also. when it comes to fox and stuff the 17 or the 22mag is the way to go.
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Thanks! I am leaning towards the 22 mag (over the 17, more bullet selections)) in a single shot

Savage stevens model 200 in .22-250 or a similar Savage Axis(formerly edge). They run around $300 or $375(SMwarehouse) with a mounted scope.
    Super accurate, respectable, inexpensive guns, with easily inter-changed barrels. The caliber will be good for a young/new shooter, too.
    They are available in .243 or .223, also. (If you want a .223, get an AR.)
    Good luck, your askin' the right questions...

I would look at the 25-06 that is a great rifle for an all around gun you can load it down and take predators and they also pack enough punch to take out a moose if you wanted to. I have a friend that uses one for bear and elk down in the states and he swears by it. I seen him take a backie last year and dropped it on the spot. I took my first moose with a 243 and they work but now i would prefer something a little bigger especially if you want to shoot a big moose, and I wouldnt think twice about taking either a moose or coyote with the 25-06 just have to use the right bullets for each.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    Savage stevens model 200 in .22-250 or a similar Savage Axis(formerly edge). They run around $300 or $375(SMwarehouse) with a mounted scope.
    Super accurate, respectable, inexpensive guns, with easily inter-changed barrels. The caliber will be good for a young/new shooter, too.
    They are available in .243 or .223, also. (If you want a .223, get an AR.)
    Good luck, your askin' the right questions...
    Thanks! my brother has the edge,

Could I get a new barrel in, say, 243?

BTW, I couldn't afford an AR.

Would a 22-250 be good for hunting at all?

.22-250 posts energy numbers similar to a .243. It uses bullets in the 40-70 grain weight, at velocities from 3300-4000 fps. That being said, the .22-250 would not be as effective as a .243 on medium game(deer).

You could easily get a new barrel on that action, either from a gunsmith or the factory. I would only do that if the old one needs to be replaced, if it is in good condition, just go buy a new one in the caliber you like and have 2 guns! Even better!
    Many wildcatters buy this action for rebarreling.

What about a 25 wssm or a 25-06?

223, 22-250, 243, 7mm-08, 308, 25-06, 270, and 30-06 are available in the Axis(edge). Some are short action, some are long. Something for everyone there. I would definitely recommend the 25-06 if you have your eye on it. Has the edge on the .22-250 and the .243 for larger game.
    The .270 would be good choice, too. 3000 ft/lbs of energy is a serious cartridge. Big Bear medicine there. Depends on what you want.

how about a .220 swift?

personally i hunt with a 30-06....with it you can handle anything in alaska and even shoot light fmj's for minumum damage to fur animals.....

Release Lake Trout

I am looking for a "do it all" cartrige, I wasnt to hunt moose and bears with it and shoot fox and coyotes too, (with little fur damage)

I am starting to think about getting a 17 HMR or 22 MAG and a negant......

the advantage to a, say, 243, would be I could carry lighter bullets when I am hunting moose, and if I see a fox (and I usually see quite a few fox every year) I could drop a shell or 2 of the lighter ones in there and pop it.

or, in the spring, I could take along a few heavy bullets for when I'm fox hunting, and if I saw a bear, I could go after it.

My kids started out with a .243. My son has taken 2 moose with it, and he and my daughter have taken several caribou with it, and I've taken coyotes with it with very little pelt damage. I like that choice. But if you're changing bullet weights around, just make sure you know what each do so you can compensate.

Furfishgame,

I recently went through this. 223, 22-250, 243 debate myself. Bought a 22-250 a couple years ago for predators. Then I began wondering if I wouldn't be better served shooting lightweight 243 stuff for varmints (55 grain or the ilk) and 100 grain for caribou and moose, and deer.

I bought a Marlin XS7 in .243, which can be had for just over $300 with a simple scope or less if you buy yourself a different scope. Anyways it puts 58 grain Hornday V-Max's inside .75" in 3 shot groups at 200 yards so hard to argue with the accuracy of that $300 gun. I know the savages can be had for a similar price and they are known for their accuracy at a great value price as well.

Being not too far removed from the poor high school/college kid game if you would like to meet up this weekend and shoot my 243 I'd be more than happy to let ya, planning on heading to the range anyways. I also have a couple spare $50-$60 scopes with rings that I would just give ya once ya found what rifle you wanted to get ya started.

Good luck in your search.

With a 30-.06, you can drop down to 55 gr accelerators, or up to 220 gr (heaviest stock ammo I've seen). It truly is the all-purpose caliber, with readily available stock ammo. I know Remington makes the 55 gr accelerators. I don't know that I've seen anything lighter than 120 gr by anyone else.

You have to pick the caliber that you will be most comfortable with, and sized primarily for the game you will be pursuing. If you are looking for a single caliber for multiple alaskan species, don't overlook the .06. You'll have it forever, and you can take anything from fox to bison (and brown bear, as many people on here will tell you, but that's for another thread).

I plan to build my kids an AR15 in 6.8SPC because it will grow with them and even my youngest can shoot it without having to make any modifications to go from Adult to child shooter. That said if I was on a tighter budget then I would jump on the Marlin XS7. HEck I may anyway just to have one for the truck. I strongly encourage you to get out with Alaska_Lanche and shoot his rifle! He is also an ok guy to hang out with as well and I have had the privilege of sharing a camp or two with him over the last few years. I also have friends that use the .243 and have put many bou and moose on the ground with it. The .243, like the .223, 308, and 17HMR just seem to be inherently accurate and easy to shoot.

Wow, you are looking for a rifle for everything from fox to moose... that's a huge range...
    I think you'll eventually work yourself into a battery of some number of rifles, perhaps 3 to 5 rifles.
    From a battery of .22lr, .223, and .300 win mag I can select an appropriate caliber for any animal I'd be hunting. Throw in a .44 mag pistol for bear country when you won't be carrying a rifle and that might be the only 4 guns you need to own. Perhaps instead of one gun that does it all, think about what you'd like your battery to be and then add one of those guns to it.
    I'd stay away from the really fast moving bullets, especially the .204 and 22-250, they destroy a fox.

The only one weapon for all Alaskan/North American game is a Bow.,

Lightbulb 30-06

Well Its hard to beat the 30-06. You can load it up for the larger game 220g and use the lighter loads for small game Remington 30-06 Accelerator Ammo 55g PSP. The best all around bullet for the 06 is the 165g btsp. Ammo for the 30-06 is available almost everywhere.
    Now go and have a great time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast