Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Super light jigging setup

Default Super light jigging setup

Last couple of days I have been dreaming of bottom fishing, and I have been toying of a "super light" jigging setup. Unfortunately I live in a landlocked region, but I get out to the west coast of B.C. yearly, where I do my salmon and bottom fishing. I fish in the Gulf Islands, which is inside the Straight of Georgia. There is no halibut there, so when bottom fishing I generally target lingcod. Of course all the other usual suspects are down there as well, and you never know what you are going to bring up.

My current setup is a shimano trevala 58xh rod mated with a pfleuger level wind reel + 50lb braid, so this setup covers the heavy end. I have been thinking of getting a light japanese style jigging rod, and a light reel loaded with 30lb spectra. I want to try japanese style jigs with this setup (butterfly, madai, etc.). I think this would be really fun when the currents aren't ripping. I usually drift fish parallel to kelp beds in water >100 ft, sometimes out to 150 ft.

This is what I am looking at for a setup:

Rod:
    Jigging master 150g power spell rod ($$$): http://www.jiggingmaster-ag.com/on/i...id=117&lang=en
    Jigging master 100g saber light game rod ($$): http://www.jiggingmaster-ag.com/on/i...id=117&lang=en

Reel:
    Avet sx 2 speed + 30lb spectra

The 150g rod seems to be a bit more versatile, but its about double the price of the saber game. The saber game is really affordable and has had good reviews, but I cannot seem to find it in stock in NA.

What are everyones thoughts on this? Anyone here have experience using a similar style setup? And if anyone has experience with japanese style jigging for bottom fish, please chime in!

Guess I should add that I have been browsing these forums for a while, but this is my first post. I am a big fan of the site, there seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people on here!

What species are you planning to target with it? I haven't (yet) setup a dedicated lightweight jigging rod. I have however used my salmon rods, which are 8 1/2' medium weight shimano's setup w/ shimano 1000 charter specials with 30# braid. I've used them to take rock fish, cod, pollock, small halibut and silver salmon. The reels are set for 7# on strike and 10# max drag. The rods bend parabolic with 10#'s hanging on them, so no reason for more drag. I use a variety of 3-6 oz jigs, butterfly copies, point wilson, cripled herring, and occasionally an 8 oz lead head, but the rods really aren't stiff enough for the heavier jigs.

The advantage of a longer salmon rod is there is more rod to load up and keep tension on the fish, which is more important on salmon as they run, but still not a bad thing. But, not having used one of the shorter butterfly style rods, I haven't been able to do a fair comparison, and might have to get one to try that this summer.

The avet sx is a great little reel, but I wonder if a 2 speed is really an advantage or not. Since you'll be using lighter jigs, IMHO the low speed isn't needed for winching heavy jigs off the bottom. I'd personally go for the lighter weight, simplicity and lower cost of a single speed.

I will be targeting lincgod, rockfish, greenling etc. with this rod. I agree with your assessment on the avet sx, a one speed is probably all that is needed. I already have a 9' salmon rod in a mooching setup; so I am looking to try a short, light dedicated jig rod.

I haven't heard of anyone using one of these light setups yet for bottomfishing B.C./Alaska, so I am not expect a lot of responses. I personally think it would be a blast to use, this would probably be my go to setup when I take friends out on my boat. I have two other jigging setups that I lend out, one being that trevala I described in the first post. I imagine those setups will be a lot easier for others two use, and if they get damaged it wouldn't hurt my feelings as much.

Thanks for the response!

Well I just got an avet sx off of e-bay, couldn't pass it up for $109 Now I need to figure out the proper rod.

I know some of the guys at BJ commercial in Anchorage have used the avex for lingcod, but I don't know what type of jigging rods they've used. I'll have to ask Tom next time I'm there.

One of the Daiwa Saltiga Conventional SA-JG 510MFB Jigging Rods might do the trick, only a bit over $100 so you're not out too much if it's not what you wanted.

That is a pretty good deal for an sx! Now I am going to have to look on ebay to see if I can score a deal like that...

That Daiwa Saltiga seems like it might fit the bill. Have you used on before? I am curious how sensitive the tip is (I hate pool cue like sensitivity rods), and I wonder how the backbone is on that. The length and price are definitely right though.

Here`s a pick of a buddy running a baby Avet/Trevala combo hooked-up w/a 180# halibut. Patience is a virtue.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I have been using a 2-piece heavweight ugly stick with 20 lb. braided line on an open face Penn for years. It is quick, dependable, I'm always first down, and as to the terminal I use a weighted pencil stick and then bottom jig. I keep the drag correct, and I've yet to break. Then again, my heaviest has only been 65 lb. of what bit.

I have had plenty of great runs in this type of presentation for over 10 years...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

I have a 6'6"Shimano Trevala rated for 75-200 gram jigs and 30-80lbs braid with a Avet SX 2speed loaded with 50 pound braid. I wouldn't call it ultralight but it feels like its half of the weight of a "NORMAL" halibut setup. It's lighter in weight than any of my other Kenai River King Salmon gear. Haven't caught any monsters on it but its a blast and you can fish it all day. Doubles up as a decent bottom bouncing rod for Kings on the Kenai.

Good to see the rod holding up to a #180 pounder in the post by AK2AZ.

I have two of the Trevalas like the one Fonz is using, but I put older LX 4.6 reels on. Got 'em cheap off eBay too! Awesome light jigging rods. Haven't had the pleasure of fighting a toad like that yet!

I did originally consider a lighter trevala. I do love my current trevala (58xh), its light and sensitive. I think shimano over rates the capabilities of these though, the backbone just doesn't seem to be there for what it is rated. I have had braid cut into the grip on my current trevala, which is rated for 80-200lbs and I'm sure more drag then what my pfleuger lever drag reel should be able to put on that stick. Not sure if the lack of backbone will come into play in the smaller ones.

I want to keep this jig stick between 5'-6'. I already have a lighter jig rod in the 7' range (its an older shimano, and honestly not that great), but I am looking to try something shorter. It doesn't seem like any NA manufacturers produce a jig stick that meets all my criteria, but Japanese and NZ companies do have some rods that purpose built for what I want. Only downside is that they are more cash.

Quote Originally Posted by kthomas View Post
    Anyone here have experience using a similar style setup? And if anyone has experience with japanese style jigging for bottom fish, please chime in!
    I only started using the butterfly jigs last year and I can say it out fished everything including bait for rockfish, cod, small halibut. I even managed a chum salmon as I was reeling the jig up. I was amazed at how often and how well the fish stuck to the single assist hooks I used. Its always down first, its in the strike zone longer, and fish hit it when others on the boat have bait down.

I am a HUGE bait kinda guy but I am a believer in the shimano butterfly and williamson benthos and abyss jigs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    I only started using the butterfly jigs last year and I can say it out fished everything including bait for rockfish, cod, small halibut. I even managed a chum salmon as I was reeling the jig up. I was amazed at how often and how well the fish stuck to the single assist hooks I used. Its always down first, its in the strike zone longer, and fish hit it when others on the boat have bait down.

I am a HUGE bait kinda guy but I am a believer in the shimano butterfly and williamson benthos and abyss jigs.
    I like hearing this! What has turned me on to the butterfly style jigs is the versatility of the system, the speed of which these jigs get to the target zone, and I believe they should hang up on the bottom less then conventional jigs due to the assist hooks. If they happen to catch fish like a house on fire, then there really is no downside. I guess the price can be construed as one, but if you lose less jigs then these will more then pay for themselves.

What size of jigs did you find to be the most productive for lings?

Lings aren't picky.

I did catch this one

With one of these

They used to be cheap on e-bay, but all the ones I got were lost to the rocks. The benthos are nice jigs, and I picked up a few more from a mixed assortment of jigs off of craigslist.

roughly 3-9 oz and covers most applications

Thats a nice ling paul! Yes, lings definitely aren't picky creatures. You could probably put a treble hook on a beer bottle and catch a ling. In fact, I may just try that!

I'm going to keep my eye open on ebay for some good deals on these types of jigs.

Check out the fishincomfort folks, they're the ones I got those jigs from, and he'll knock off a few bucks if you get them in qunatities.

This thread is getting me more and more stoked to get back out on the water and catch some fish!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Check out the fishincomfort folks, they're the ones I got those jigs from, and he'll knock off a few bucks if you get them in qunatities.

This thread is getting me more and more stoked to get back out on the water and catch some fish!
    Thanks paul, I'll check them out.

Tell me about! This past week I have been craving big time to get back out on the water...

This is another great thread. I'm with you Paul and kthomas. I can't stop thinking about getting back on the water and hopefully quick. Keep the info coming.

You guys are KILLIN' me to get on the water to try my new 58xxh trevala, and some williamson jigs bought at B-n-J's. Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!

Usually a soaker myslef, but excited about doing a lot more jigging this year. Anything different would likely improve my results.

Thanks for the great insight guys!

Avet MXJ w 80lbs spectra, 5'10" Saltiga Jigging Rod.

This isn't a super light jigging setup, but I have found it to be VERY versatile for Alaskan waters. The rod is sensitive enough to use smaller jiggs and sling rockfish, but also has plenty of backbone to use 12-16oz Mudrakers chasing flatties. My only complaint w the Saltiga rod is that the reel seat is a little small, but for most reels thats not a problem.

Be careful dedicated "soakers" cuz once you start jigging you'll never go back!!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast