Thread: What fish could you catch right now near Whittier?

Default What fish could you catch right now near Whittier?

So I went to Whittier and admired the open water last weekend. The water was glass calm and I was kicking myself for not bringing the kayak down.

So do you think you could catch something...anything, fishing out of a Kayak right now close to Whittier.

I didn't catch anything casting from shore but thought maybe there was something lurking deeper that I could access with a Kayak right near port.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to catch flounder, irish lords and greenling and possibly a halibut.

You might catch some dollies under the waterfalls. I bet you'd tie into some dandy kings if you wanted to paddle out to Pigot. Herring are starting to mass so the kings will be getting fidgety about now...good luck
    Last edited by fullbush; 03-16-2011 at 15:07. Reason: you need to find where the birds are

The rockfish are always there. I've caught copper and quillbacks near the entrance to the tunnel. Look for steep dropoffs from shore and start there. I'm not sure if the processor is operating, but if they are, there's always fish near their discharge hose.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Okay. If I get all the gear I think I am going to get and the weather cooperates, I may give it a go. Seemed awful quiet and barren last weekend from the shore. But hopefully fullbush is right and a few herring are starting to mill about. The waterfalls were still frozen solid but I think I am going to take his advice about possible dollies and troll small stuff during transit.

I guess I will watch the sonar and start deep if I don't mark fish. Fortunately deep is about 2 minutes after launch. An Irish Lord is going to look and feel awful good I am betting after limited ice fishing trips this winter. I can't even imagine if I latched into a five pound halibut. At minimum its going to let me try a few things like the camera and mounting methods.

Place your kayak adjacent to some sheer cliffs and fish for the rockfish there.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Darn. Alaska Raft and Kayak didn't get the order of drysuits they were thinking they were going to get. Not going to risk riding on 9 ft piece of plastic without a drysuit in March in Passage canal. But I am sure they are going to get them in fairly soon. Really helpful service. I'll wait till they get them. The gentleman said they were going to be selling the Hobie Kayak's soon. Arghh...they are going to take more of my money. Probably shouldn't complain about that.

@Fishgod thx for the tips. This is going to be a problem if I can catch decent rockfish in the winter out of my kayak. The "problem" is going to be I am going to be using my ice fishing gear a lot less. And then I am going to get questions like "How much was that auger? the portable shack? etc..." I suppose only a few days are conducive to Kayaking in the winter time.

I always had a blast on nice winter days in Ketch in the yak. Lots of rocks, always a few lingcod as well. Nice warm sunny 38 dgree day was the best. But don't go out without the drysuit.