Thread: Dm 774

Default Dm 774

Well I was lucky enough to draw a moose tag for DM 774, Yanert CUA. What does the Controlled Use Area mean for hunters? It is an any bull area and 85 tags were awarded. I will assue that this is a area that there are more moose that it can support and the F&G want some animals taken. Is it also open to others without a draw tag? How difficult is it to access? Are there good trails for wheelers in the area? Thanks for any information

Quote Originally Posted by akpolaris View Post
    Well I was lucky enough to draw a moose tag for DM 774, Yanert CUA. What does the Controlled Use Area mean for hunters? It is an any bull area and 85 tags were awarded. I will assue that this is a area that there are more moose that it can support and the F&G want some animals taken. Is it also open to others without a draw tag? How difficult is it to access? Are there good trails for wheelers in the area? Thanks for any information
    Read up on it in the big game hunting regulations. There is a description on page 93. According to that, it is CLOSED to any motorized vehicle for big game hunting.

All the information is right there in the regs under unit 20. Here is a link to the online regs: http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...s_complete.pdf

Please note that these are last year's regs, the new regs have not come out yet, but will be very similar to what you see now.

thank you very much

No homework before you applied? Interesting!

Good luck! I drew that tag last year, and I shared a lot of area with a guide that runs horseback and thinks he owns the place. He's also a huge fan of buzzing the treetops with his plane...and buzzing people that didn't hire him. There are moose to be had, but you have to put in the effort to find them. Your best bet is to charter a plane to fly you in. I highly suggest bringing a pair of waders with you as crossing the yanert can be a bit tricky in some places.

Quote Originally Posted by akpolaris View Post
    People like you never cease to amaze me. I will never understand why people continually put in for draw hunts without doing any research on an area or the specific hunt. It's like they print out the draw supplement, hang it on the wall and throw darts at it. It's as if they say "F it, if I get drawn i'll just ask everyone else the hunt details and if it's too tough or I can't get there I just won't hunt". But just so you know, the DM774 is accessible by helicopters for moose hunters, shotgun only.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Most "Draw" hunts up here in Alaska are to keep the number of hunters down, without completely closing the "Area" due to lack of game! Just because it's a drawing, doesn't mean it's an easy hunt, let alone a "Trophy" hunt. More than likely, that population is struggling. There ARE Exceptions though. DM774 not being one of them......

Hope you have horses, a plane, or sufficient funds to pay for your hunt. Lot's of folks did, and knew the access issues before applying. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCub View Post
    Most "Draw" hunts up here in Alaska are to keep the number of hunters down, without completely closing the "Area" due to lack of game! Just because it's a drawing, doesn't mean it's an easy hunt, let alone a "Trophy" hunt. More than likely, that population is struggling. There ARE Exceptions though. DM774 not being one of them......

Hope you have horses, a plane, or sufficient funds to pay for your hunt. Lot's of folks did, and knew the access issues before applying. Good luck.
    Here we go again.... If everyone who applied and won permits for all these hunts knew everything about the hunt ahead of time and went out and hunted it, they would have a significant overharvest. They plan for a certain percentage of people to not even attempt the hunt when they figure how many permits to offer. If it was only people who would hunt it applying, they would end up having to issue far fewer hunts since the overall success rate would increase dramatically. The odds of winning a permit for those who were so well prepared would not go up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Here we go again.... If everyone who applied and won permits for all these hunts knew everything about the hunt ahead of time and went out and hunted it, they would have a significant overharvest. They plan for a certain percentage of people to not even attempt the hunt when they figure how many permits to offer. If it was only people who would hunt it applying, they would end up having to issue far fewer hunts since the overall success rate would increase dramatically. The odds of winning a permit for those who were so well prepared would not go up a bit.
    +100 We have discussed this to death, the system is set up with issues like this in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    +100 We have discussed this to death, the system is set up with issues like this in mind.
    So, then by correlation the system is set up for people to throw darts at the drawing permit list and apply. Sounds good to me. Baloney Sugar.

Hey!!! I told him Good Luck!

Agreed, the system is set up for guys without a clue. Been that way forever. But, thanks to the WWW and Forums, we now know who they are.

Have a safe and successful season.

Here is the harvest stats from last year. 105 Permit winners, 44 Hunted, 14 Bulls killed...

2010 DM774 Moose Y Y Male 20A 6400 6 5
    2010 DM774 Moose Y Y Male 09/14 20A 4750 3 3 6 7
    2010 DM774 Moose Y Y Male 09/15 20A 3500 1 2
    2010 DM774 Moose Y Y Male 09/16 20A 4500 3 2
    2010 DM774 Moose Y Y Male 09/16 20A 3488 3 2
    2010 DM774 Moose Y Y Male 09/18 20A
    2010 DM774 Moose Y Y Male 09/18 20A 4925 3 2
    2010 DM774 Moose Y Y Male 09/18 20A 4650 2 2
    2010 DM774 Moose Y Y Male 09/19 20A 4200 3 2
    2010 DM774 Moose Y Y Male 09/20 20A 5225 4 6
    2010 DM774 Moose Y Y Male 09/20 20A 3706 2 2
    2010 DM774 Moose Y Y Male 09/22 20A 4613 2 1
    2010 DM774 Moose Y Y Male 09/22 20A 5300
    2010 DM774 Moose Y Y Male 09/22 20A

I also drew the tag but will not be able to go due to work , so am i just wasting it ? maybe but guess what i drew it not you . if people want to put in for a draw thats there buisness not yours