Thread: How much?

Question How much?

How much is too much? I keep reading posts about premium ammo being too expensive to hunt with. I understand this for target and varmit shooting, but as I see it, the bullets is the least cost and can make or break a hunt. Cheap insurance as I see it, but maybe I just don't get it. Maybe they wouldn't be so expensive if nimrods weren't hosing down the mountainsides. I'm "NOT" stating that everyone should use them...be kind, keep that in mind when you're hammering me on a $1000-2000 computer, cause I'm only curious.

Interesting question. Along the same lines, I know guys that have over $50,000 in their boats yet keep using cheap rods and reels. I've seen guys spend thousands on fly-in fishing trips show up with reels frozen by corrosion. Go figure.

I will not buy a box of shells that costs over $60. I would rather spend $300 getting all of the reloading equipment needed to load my own before I would spend $100 on a box!

- Clint

I'm betting that premium ammo prices won't have to rise much more, and we'll have a whole new crop of reloaders, Alaskacajun! Heck, I've got good guns I didn't pay $100 for. Last year, not fifty years ago!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

It sounds like a pattern. Like when buying Printers, and Ink cartridges.
    Smitty of the North

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'm betting that premium ammo prices won't have to rise much more, and we'll have a whole new crop of reloaders....
    Yup, and I'm one of them. I bought 4 boxes of ammo for my 325wsm last July for 42 bucks a box. Now its 50 bucks a box. With the new Kimber 325 there wasn't much need to pick up the ol 06 so I sold it and bought reloading equipment. 100 rounds of factory ammo 200gr Accubonds will cost me 250 bucks. I figure I can load a 100 rounds of 200gr Accubonds for about 75-80 bucks. 20 bucks or so more to load Barns TSX's or A-frames, 20 bucks less to load 220gr GameKings. Not counting brass which I have some of. But, brass and bullets are going up since the price of metal is going up. A month ago I could buy 50 rds brass for 21 bucks now it's 25.

Plus I want shoot my 44mag more anyway so I took on the new hobby. I figure I can reload 44 mag 240gr lead cast loads for about .15 each. A little more for 300gr gas checks. Probably load for the 38sp evenually to.

It's only going go up more like everything else. I figure I'm going to stock up on bullets, powder and primers while we still can. If the dems get more power we may end up getting regulated like crazy for some of this stuff.

In my humble opinion lol, forget premium factory loads that are made as a "one size fits all" load. If you do any amount of shooting other than the 4 bullets you shoot to make sure your gun shoots straight right before hunting season, reload your own custom bullets made specifically for your gun. Your accuracy will improve and a whole world of different types of premium bullets will open up to you. And hunting takes on a new meaning when you use the custom bullets you made for your rifle.

If you are the person who only shoots a few rounds a year, buy and practice with the best cartridges you can afford. If your not hunting and just out to shoot at targets for the fun of it, again buy the best you can afford. Its a lot more fun to target shoot and make a group you can cover with a quarter than a group you cant cover with a 5 gallon bucket.
    Well maybe a one gallon bucket hehe.

My two cents
    Mike

I built up a load for my .300 Wtby last year using 200 gr Nosler Partitions. Right before moose season I went to Rabbit Creek Shooting Range and set up my target at the 100 yard mark. The guy next to me asked if I wanted him to spot my shots since I didn't bring a spotting scope. I said "sure!"

First shot he said was 2" high. Second shot he said I missed! Third shot same thing, total miss!

I went a retrieved my target and laughed all the way back to the bench. Somehow I put 3 rounds almost in the same hole. It was a total fluke though..... I'm alright but I ain't that perfect!

I showed him the target and his eyes almost fell out of his head. He asked me what caliber I was shooting and I told him. Then he asked what brand of factory ammo I was using and I told him I loaded them. He was sold! Said he was gonna start reloading.LOL

I told him I guess that'll be good enough for moose huntin'.... he just shook his head and said "I guess..."

- Clint

Default Yea

There is a sense of self accomplishment when we load a box, or a 100, or a 1000 rds of accurate ammo. The using of this ammo to harvest a quality animal is priceless.
    With the increases in ammo prices, the pursuit of reloading becomes a more reasonable hobby all the time. The use of reloading helps bring costs into line allowing the use of premium bullets at near normal ammo costs.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !