Thread: FAA CFI data base

Default FAA CFI data base

Does anyone know if there is an FAA CFI data base, I have been searching for CFI's doing random google searches and it only comes up with CFI's that are attached to some sort of business (ie it seems like independant CFI's are getting dropped off) and the AOPA list is giving me people that dont even have a CFI. I will call the FAA today and see if I can get a comprehensive list with contact info and general location.

AOPA has a pretty good list for Alaska. Thats how I found mine to teach me in my brothers plane last year.

Who did you use and how much was their rate, I found a guy but he charges 100$/hr that seems a little steep but from talking to him it sounds like he is going to get me squared away ASAP.

Where are you located?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Liability is the biggest problem with doing independent CFI work. If your flying a plane owned and insured by someone else the owners insurance seldom covers the instructor. You can go through the process of having the insurance company name the instructor as an additional insured person but many times the insurance companies seem to drag their feet getting that done. An instructor can buy his or her own insurance but it's pretty spendy and not profitable for only one or two students. It's also a big commitment to take someone on to train toward their private certificate or instrument rating. Most of the time the student is working full time with limited availability for training and then they do the last minute cancellation when work of family problems come up. For what you make instructing part time it's almost not worth the hassle. I suspect that's why that instructor told you $100 an hour. It's usually easier to find a CFI to do flight reviews, currency training or maybe a tailwheel endorsement. You might check with the Medallion Foundation in Anchorage to see if they know of anyone. I would also check the bulletin boards at the airport pilot shacks, plane part stores etc. Good luck.

EAA has a data base of instructors and the area they are in.

Yea I just talked to a friend about flying in my own plane his dad and my dad are also friends and both have super cubs and he thought a free plane and gas what a deal but he said he would just to go land and sea aviation or somewhere at merril and get it done if he had to do it over again, that way your not horsing around with the insurance conundrum and not to mention the super cubs have less than basic instrumentation and it would cost alot of money to get them up to training plane standards. I just looked at land and seas web site and they seem to have really reasonable rates even with the plane rental tacked on, MUCH better rates than the rates of 2005 and 2006 which was what forced me to quit before finishing, I got soloed from a family friend but when I had to do my solo cross countries the price just exploded at aeroteck just to finish up a few solo cross countrys, if I had been smart I would have just tested for my recreational licence and picked up my private when prices came down and that way all my writen and oral exams would not be expired I would just have to do the cross countrys and maybe a simple check ride.

Not to mention the car gas and time to get to where the super cub is. I am located in Anchorage.

Land and Sea is where I ended up finishing at. I used Suzy Rebich, she started out training me in my plane then went to work for Land and Sea. Not sure what the confusion is on Insurance? I insured through Avemco and expressly told them it would be for flight training and I needed everything covered. It was no problem. Land and Sea is a top qaulity place with good instructors, they even have a citabria for tailwheel. Good Luck and have fun!

FYI - Land and Sea, Mike, just purchased Take Flight.

rick

"Not sure what the confusion is on Insurance? I insured through Avemco and expressly told them it would be for flight training and I needed everything covered."

The problem is not for the airplane owner. If there is an accident the insurance company pays the owner then sues the instructor to recover their loss.

Since my plane is missing critical instruments I have a meeting at land and sea to finish up in their C-152, since I work mid town that will be easiest. I can then get my tail wheel endorsement right after.