Thread: Slow bullet for less fur damage

Default Slow bullet for less fur damage

Any of you slow your bullet down to get less fur damage? You can change the size of the exit holes in fur a great deal sometimes by slowing down the bullet.

Like How Slow are you talking? Seems there is a tremendous amount that can be done with the Velocity factor,
    I'm up for learning what everyone is doing,
    And, how slow is too slow?
    Wish I could find those numbers somewhere reliable
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

My 80grain 6mm is slowed down to travel right around 2852fps. Minimal damage with the FMJ on a 40 yard coyote broadside.

When handloading for my 22-250 I always slow the loads down for coyotes, I hate blowing them apart. First and foremost you want deep penetration ammo, you want the qualities next to the FMJ, minimal expansion, but not zero expansion.

The worst bullets in the world for coyote are the max expansion bullets, the VMax and ballistic tip and such, nothing worse than the cheap Winchester Double Hollow points. These bullets are fine on perfect hits and do not exit, but blow the living feces out of coyotes on less than perfect hits.

If you are calling and are a very disciplined shot, shooting only perfect face front shots into the body, you can be happy with max expansion, anything less and give me a Nosler Partition or other hard ammo, but no FMJ!!!

What speed to slow down to? With a .22 centerfire, 3400 fps is good or less. Any more and you start blowing fur apart. This is for coyotes but not bad on red fox too. Wolves, I would want a .22 centerfire warmed right up!

BB Bob is right on the money there.

I only have fox to call so I shoot a couple 17 cal rifles. I have had the very same results (but smaller), the right velocity with a good quality bullet makes all the difference between a nice hide and a blasted bloody mess.
    I like a Hp type bullet with sturdy construction and a small hp, they penetrate better than the V max, yet still deliver the hydrostatic shock where needed. Same here with the Vmax in 17s, perfect shots are great, but sometimes they blow up on fur it seems. I have found the 25g Hornady HPs or Starke hp does much better, still frangible but not as explosive. The small HP looks more like a match bullet than a varmint bullet.
    3000fps-3300fps with a good 17 cal bullet is Great fox medicine, never exits and drops them in their tracks.

Slowing things down a bit will definitely save you pelts.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Like How Slow are you talking? Seems there is a tremendous amount that can be done with the Velocity factor,
    I'm up for learning what everyone is doing,
    And, how slow is too slow?
    Wish I could find those numbers somewhere reliable
    Too slow is slower than the lightest listing in your reloader manual - doesn't matter which one you use. using smaller amounts of a recommended powder can result in EXCESSIVE pressures.
    Check various manuals - Speer used to list some SLOW loads for popular calibers (don't know if they still do or not.
    Be careful.