Thread: Dillion RL550 reloading press

Default Dillion RL550 reloading press

I have been looking at this and would like some info on how it works and durability of the product any info appreciated

been using a 550 for years, I share it with a buddy who puts me to shame - that Dillon loads the bast darn ammo you will ever see - I was EXTREMELY skeptical prior to owning one - a tech at Dillon (Dillon customer service is the best in ANY industry I have experienced)shared that the 3 top long range competition shooters in the world, one in South Africa, used the 550 for all their practice ammo (they ALL understandebly single load their competition stuff) We load 270 & 300 WSM, 308, 338 win mag, all my 1000's of varmint stuff, .45scp, 9mm & 44 mag - I'll never again be without one - hope this helps
    (forgot to add 45/70)

Absolutely great equipment. I've used one since the 1990's, when they were first introduced. Loads anything and the company has the greatest customer service in the world. I've made ammo with the 550 that I've shot in world championships.....It is the best progressive available to us.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I've had mine for over 15 years without any problems. I don't know how you could improve it. A little cleaning and a bit of grease once in a while and it just keeps on going. Short of taking a club to it I don't think you can break one. And even that is covered by warrenty.

I got mine third hand. I live about 50 miles east of the Dillon facility and took it down for a tune up. They looked it over and upgraded a few components and gave me a hand full of spare parts and a manual, no charge. I'm currently loading 19 different cartridges with it. It's very versatile.

I have 3 Dillon 550B's, I seem to collect them. A friend passed away and his wife gave me his, I had one at home and one at the shop, I have lots of the removable die holders for caliber changes. Quick and easy, I have loaded up to 650 rounds per hour. I preload my primer tubes, have the low powder and low primer alarms, Just crank em out. You can go to the loading bench for just a few minutes before dinner and put out 100 rounds, enough to shoot the next afternoon. I have an RCBS Rock chucker, 2 little partners, and a 50 BMG press also. You cannot have to many presses. I use the Dillon's a lot more than the rest of them.

I have had a 550 for only a few years, but I really like it so far. It takes a bit of getting used to. At first glance it looks like some kind of overly complicated contraption with pieces and parts sticking out all over the place. So far I have only used it for my high volume production, e.g., 10MM, 45ACP and 223. It pumps out finished products fast, and the load consistency is definately there if you follow the instructions and recommendations from Dillon. For example, I have only used spherical powder rather than extruded, and I use a crimping die. I always disliked the single stage press for high volume handgun loading, and the Dillon can crack out stuff in one hour that would take me multiple hours to do on a single stage.

I am the 3rd owner of a 20+ year-old Dillon 550. When needed, which isn't very often, Dillon treats me like I just bought it yesterday. Their products and customer service are second to none.

like the others indicated, their customer service is outstanding. i had one issue that required me sending the press back to dillon and they replaced the whole frame assy. and had it back in a little over two weeks. with the smaller pistoll powders it drops charges very accurate. you can really load the pistol ammo fast and it will be quality loads. i hand measure my rifle rounds so they are a little slower but if you want to shoot practice rounds you could probably use the powder dropper and crank those out also.

18 years in, I love mine. I lost a part once, called to buy a new one, the guy asked "you broke it during reloading, right?" "No, I lost it." "No, you broke it during reloading, right?" "No I lost it." "Um, YOU BROKE IT DURING RELOADING, RIGHT?" "Uh, yeah, I broke it during reloading." "OK, we'll get a replacement out to you no charge!" Questions?

They dont seem to show up on the used market very often. I think it says a lot that guys dont want to part with them. I know Ill never get rid of mine!

I'll chip in too, they work like no other and their customer service is outstanding! I had a powder bar that I thought was acting a little funny. I called them, they said they would send me a new one. I asked if they wanted the old one back they said nope. I fiddled around with the old one and got it working, called them up and said that I had fixed the problem where do I send the new one back to. They told me to keep it in case I ever lost the other one.

My dad and myself, have used the same 550 for over 25 years. Dillion is a great outfit to deal with.

Just bought one (literally) at my lgs. Got 40 S&W dies which will also load my 10 mm ammo. Can't wait to get it set up. Like all the post above, my buddy swears by Dillion and their customer service. That made the purchase easy. I read this thread before going to the gun shop by chance which primed the pump. Nice looking stuff.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

you are so right about Dillon and their customer service. After reloading for over forty years I finaLLY
    broke down and saved the money to purchase a Dillon 550. This set up is incredible to say the least. I had one problem with it and it had to do with the primers I was using. For some reason the press doesn't do well with CCI primers and I was going crazy until i called Dillon and they actually sent me at no charge a full set up for priming and all the tubes and it ran great. The people there are unbelievable!!. I use the press for >45 acp and the .460 S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead315 View Post
    For some reason the press doesn't do well with CCI primers and I was going crazy until i called Dillon and they actually sent me at no charge a full set up for priming and all the tubes and it ran great.
    Strange, CCI is all I use and never an issue. Keep an oil free tooth brush around your press and keep dust and powder away from your moving parts.

I use mostly cci primers as well and have no problem. I also keep a tooth brush handy to keep things clean. The only primer problem I had was with a shell plate that was indexed wrong and didn't line up the primer with the pocket quite right. Dillon gave me a new one and all was good.