Thread: Nenana River

Default Nenana River

Could have posted this in several forums but I knew this one has the most veiwers.
    Just wanted to go some where new this summer. Can anyone tell me anything about floating the Nenana river from the Danali Hwy to where it crosses the Parks. Water conditions, fishing oppurtunities, number of people, how long of a float.
    I am sure it gets hit hard in the fall for hunting but just wanted to see new country with the family.
    thanks for the help in advance.

While the hunting forum does get the most views, we do like to keep the posts in the most relevant forums. Thanks for your understanding.

-Brian

Default Thanks

I orginally was going to post it here but figured a lot of people float it for hunting also. That wasnt my intent but thought they would have the info.
    Thanks BM

Thumbs up Upper Nenana River

A buddy and I floated this stretch a couple summers ago, a fine trip. He on an 18-foot Aire and his 2 boys (9 & 10 years old), me on 16-foot NRS cataraft. We put in at Brushkana Creek Campground on Denali Hwy and took out at Parks Hwy bridge. We took 2 days to float it although we could have taken another day. The fishing conditions for us were not that great (in May). Brushkana Creek was running really high and just getting through the rapids was enough of a thrill without worrying about catching fish. The grayling fishing here is supposed to be great though. Once you hit the Nenana River, the fishing drops off due to cloudy glacial-fed water. Stopping at the many tributaries is worth it for the grayling fishing. Aside from Brushkana Creek the float was Class I, lots of scenery, lots of moose and swans, also some bear and wolf sign. Pretty quiet river, activity-wise until you get within 8-10 river miles or so of Parks Hwy, then the big tour jetboats appear and wreck an otherwise serene float. Their activity wasn't too extreme though, just a few brief interruptions per day. I want to take my kids on this one when the youngest gets a little older. A great trip. You may consider extending it along the Parks Hwy to McKinley Village if some splashy (but not too big) water sounds fun.
    Have a great float.

Default rilasp12

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know if salmon go this far up the river? No big deal but just wanted to bring the right gear. Grayling are one of my favorite fish, so it sounds great.

I did this over 40 yeas ago with my brother and father in a 12-14 jon boat. We had no idea what we were doing, and once dad got swept out of the boat by an overhanging tree. I guess that's why they call them "sweepers."

We did it in one day, two days in a row, and got two caribou, but the best hunting is always *after* you get off the boat.

Default nenana

i've floated everything from the denali hwy to the totlanika camp grounds, its a nice float up there though, all flat water, class 1 at the worse. i'd let the jet boat charters know when you float so they can be on the look out for you though. we usually do that section of river in 2 or 3 easy days (no hunting, heck didn't even know i could up there) just a leisure float to mahay's landing. if you put in in the morning i'm sure it could be done in one day.

btw never fished it either. just one of the parts of the river i bring visitors or new people to alaska on.

Default sbiinc

Thanks for the info. It looks like not to many people do this. Should be fairly quiet except for the boats.
    Still looking for any one who has fished this section.

I have been thru Nenana many times and I seen fish wheels in the river near town, so yeah there is salmon, but that river is very silty like chocolate milk, I know they catch salmon, not sure but probably chums...K

Default Fish

Salmon that run in the Nenena tend to run late. You will find Silver, and some Chum Fishing in Sept. throughout the drainage. You will also find Dolly's and Grayling. Fishing for the Salmon is tuff at best and to be honest they are beat to death when you find them. Once you travel below Healy you will find more Salmon fishing but again in the confluences of the small feeder creeks, such as June and Bear not even close to the area you mentioned.

Tight lines