Thread: How to skin out the head???

Default How to skin out the head???

I have never removed the hide of an animal other than to get to the meat, so I don't know how to skin an animal for a mount. Any taxidermists or DIYfers out there have some hides they still need to detail and don't mind showing me how to skin around the face? If so, drop me a PM with the time and your favorite beverage. Thanks!

Grizzly Man- If you don't get your answer here, look at http://www.mckenziesp.com/ At the bottom of the page, there is a how to section which has some good info.

This is more what I was looking for. Thank you, YOUTUBE!! http://www.youtube.com/user/HelpingH.../5/smz5e8A_1HY
    However I would still like to see this in person if anyone has anything they are going to skin out

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Man View Post
    This is more what I was looking for. Thank you, YOUTUBE!! http://www.youtube.com/user/HelpingH.../5/smz5e8A_1HY
    However I would still like to see this in person if anyone has anything they are going to skin out
    Time to go meet a Taxidermist. Many will gladly let you watch them do an animal in their shop. Spring should be a good time to talk with one as well since they should start getting a parade of black bears coming in from the baiting season around the end of May. This is the time of year to find "your" taxidermist and when you do you will be able to ask lots of questions and make sure you bring your animal out the way that they want it.

I'll be skinning out a fox here shortly once it thaws out all the way, prepping a lynx for the tannery also. I have lots of capes and forms I could instruct you on at the moment.. As for raw heads.. Things are too big here in ak, they get caped, fleshed turned and salted the day/night they come in. As one mentioned, bears will be Comming in shortly. 17 April is when I started getting brown bears last year. Drop me a line or pm and we can work out a time if you wish

Hoytguy

Just trying to find a good taxidermy to show me how they cape out an animal, and cape care before drop off. Are there any suggestions for the anchorage area near Ft Rich?

I'll be Skinning, fleshing, turning, spliting and salting a wolf tonight.. Starting at 6pm.. did one last night as well.

I work at Knight's in ANC and do a lot of the skinning. Pm me with phone # and we can work something out. I've done the same thing many times in the past.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Visiting a taxidermist is a great way to learn. However, this Wilderness Taxidermy video shows you how to do it and much more, on bear and caribou. 3-disc DVD set full of information.

Rich Hamilton of Brow-Tine Taxidermy does a great job demonstrating.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...=&filter_id=12

larry