Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Move afoot to eliminate 3rd class medical requirement

  1. #1

    Default Move afoot to eliminate 3rd class medical requirement

    Under 6000 lbs. I spoke to Dave [the petitioner] on the phone yesterday and he expected results within a month. He seemed very optimistic-when I asked if he expected positive news he said "O yes-they are going farther then I asked and may eliminate the 3rd altogether "

    http://www.potomac-airfield.com/3rd%...%20release.pdf

  2. #2
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    That would be awesome, it is the reason I can't fly.

    Thanks for posting.

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  3. #3

    Default

    His name is "Wart-Of-Sky" and his E-mail is "BigCheese"...

    Keep your fingers crossed! ha ha

  4. #4
    Member tboehm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Soldotna AK
    Posts
    2,407

    Default

    How long is it going to take to hear something or for them to actually do something?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

  5. #5

    Default

    I wonder if a pitts S1S is under 6000 lbs, I would fly without a medical anyways. It takes half a life time just to be in a financial situation to fly as it is and by that time thats when medical things start to happen. I would never let a medical keep me from flying when its something I spent my whole life working towards. But if they are not going to require it for what ever I happen to want to fly then thats a plus.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    chugiak, ak
    Posts
    630

    Default

    yeah a pits is WAY under 6000lbs. my 185 is 3600 lbs gross take off

  7. #7

    Default

    It would also save the 50-100$ every couple of years, of course you would have to have another little card for all your solo endosements and such, it would be nice if they made thoes not expire either.

  8. #8
    Member RocketRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    410

    Default

    Wonderful Idea. Lets all get behind it and contact our folk in Washington.

    I almost didn't pass as BP was borderline. Since got it down tho.

    I believe the FAA is/has been out of control just like the majority of our Fed Gov. A massive massive bureaucracy that basically has to answer to no one & wastes money coming and going.

    I was at Lake Hood Sat talking to a CFI there. He worked for the FAA for a year but quit because of the waste of money and time. He said they had a party or some sort of event in Juneau or somewhere in SE. He said they needed some sort of bread rolls for the get together. Well instead of buying the bread there they, the FAA, flew all the way from Anchorage using Fed monies and delivered bread rolls for the event. Jeezzz...enough already huh?

    Rick
    Last edited by RocketRick; 03-16-2011 at 13:00. Reason: spelling

  9. #9
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sunny Florida
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Hello to all board members, I have lurked for some time, living vicariously through members experience's & stories of your beautiful state thank you to all. I flew experimental for years then being forced to adhere sport limits 1460, will eliminating the medical allow sport Lic pilots with more time in larger class, be given the same considerations as private ? Thank in advance Regards

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RocketRick View Post
    Wonderful Idea. Lets all get behind it and contact our folk in Washington.

    I almost didn't pass as BP was borderline. Since got it down tho.

    I believe the FAA is/has been out of control just like the majority of our Fed Gov. A massive massive bureaucracy that basically has to answer to no one & wastes money coming and going.

    I was at Lake Hood Sat talking to a CFI there. He worked for the FAA for a year but quit because of the waste of money and time. He said they had a party or some sort of event in Juneau or somewhere in SE. He said they needed some sort of bread rolls for the get together. Well instead of buying the bread there they, the FAA, flew all the way from Anchorage using Fed monies and delivered bread rolls for the event. Jeezzz...enough already huh?

    Rick
    Oh I can top that. 4-5 years ago I went to take flight at Merrill. As soon as I walked in I knew something was up-the place was full of tanned long hair types all grinning and yapping away like they where excited about something.
    I went out back and lo and behold whats sitting by the fuel pumps but a Beech Starship. I never dreamed I would see one.
    Well it turns out the FAA wanted to make a video on runway excursions, so they chartered a Starship to bring a film crew from California to Alaska to make it.

    1 Why Alaska? No airports in California?

    2 Why a charter? Cameramen to good to fly scheduled airlines?

    3 Why a Starship? I can't even imagine what the lease rate would be.

    Probably the most expensive 5 minute safety video ever made.

    Tboehm-David Wartofsky told me [on 3/13] he expected news in a month.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Semi-retired in Florida
    Posts
    483

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    I wonder if a pitts S1S is under 6000 lbs, I would fly without a medical anyways. It takes half a life time just to be in a financial situation to fly as it is and by that time thats when medical things start to happen. I would never let a medical keep me from flying when its something I spent my whole life working towards. But if they are not going to require it for what ever I happen to want to fly then thats a plus.
    Flying without a medical certificate? That's scary . . . . .

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,293

    Default

    LSA provides a pilot category that eliminates FAA medical certification providing you have not failed an FAA flight physical. That was a great victory for aging pilots. Especially with some of the planes that have been introduced that comply with LSA standards, like the 180hp Carbon Cub. The EAA is working to expand on the LSA limitations for private pilots in heavier airplanes but it isn't expected to happen soon. For the FAA to remove the medical requirements up to 6000#? Don't hold your breath.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    south of the AC
    Posts
    194

    Default

    MrPid, you are right, and when have we seen the FAA move on ANYTHING quickly, unless it was to hurt and individual (like Bob Hoover). And as for flying without a medical,... thats not just scary, it's down right STOOPID!

  14. #14

    Default

    I also agree...flying without a medical is not a bright idea.

    I too think there are many aspects of aviation that don't make sense, including some of the DQ's for class 3 medicals.

    However, sorry to say, I would much rather that the 20k hour pilot be grounded with high blood pressure than stroke out or suffer a myocardial infarction and crash into a house/school/car/store/etc. Passion should not get in the way of common sense or good judgment. Especially in aviation.

  15. #15
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by knie0012 View Post
    I also agree...flying without a medical is not a bright idea.

    I too think there are many aspects of aviation that don't make sense, including some of the DQ's for class 3 medicals.

    However, sorry to say, I would much rather that the 20k hour pilot be grounded with high blood pressure than stroke out or suffer a myocardial infarction and crash into a house/school/car/store/etc. Passion should not get in the way of common sense or good judgment. Especially in aviation.
    Just an observation from a non pilot but I would hazard to guess that a 20k hour pilot would be much less likely to kill someone while flying than while driving to the airport.

  16. #16
    Member greythorn3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chasin the ladys! away!
    Posts
    2,507

    Default

    this is great news! more people in the sky is a good thing!
    Semper Fi!

  17. #17
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Thought I would run this old thread back up,, there has been some movement on this and I ask all interested to contact Don Young and show your support. Even you healthy folks should get behind this, old age and health issues can effect us all.

    Here is the response I received today from Senator Young.




    Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 3708, the General Aviation Pilot Protection Act. I am a cosponsor of this legislation, and appreciate having the benefits of your thoughts.

    On December 11, 2013, Representatives Todd Rokita (R-IN) introduced H.R. 3708 in order to expand the exemption for pilots to operate under certain conditions without a Third Class Medical Certificate. Specifically, the bill would significantly revise the Third Class Medical by replacing the compulsory medical examination with a requirement that pilots possess a valid driver's license as proof of health. The bill would limit pilots to flying with no more than five passengers, not above 14,000 feet and at no more than 250 knots, and in aircraft that have a maximum takeoff weight of 6,000 lbs. The flights would be limited to visual flight rules only, and must be within the United States. Compensation for flights would also be prohibited.

    General aviation is the only mode of transportation that requires a medical examination to operate a vehicle for private and recreational use. By way of comparison, large sport utility vehicles are larger than the small aircraft that would be operated with proof of a valid driver's license under this legislation. The Third Class Medical takes the decision of whether a person is fit to fly out of the hands of the pilot and his physician, and places it in the hands of a bureaucratic FAA doctor. This bill eliminates a duplicative and unnecessary medical certification regulation that drives up costs for pilots, and I am proud to be a cosponsor.

    H.R. 3708 has been referred to the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, where I am a senior member. I will work to ensure this legislation passes through the Committee, so that it can be considered on the House Floor.


    Once again, thank you for expressing your views on this issue. If you haven't already, I would encourage you to sign up for my e-newsletter at http://donyoung.house.gov/Forms/EmailSignup/ and my YouTube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/RepDonYoung. Doing so will allow me to provide you with updates on this and other important issues. If I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.
    Sincerely,
    (signed)
    DON YOUNG
    Congressman for All Alaska
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  18. #18

    Default

    I think the bill has 140 senators and reps co sponsoring it now, and pushing for a quicker review of it. If you haven't already EAA and AOPA both have links to send emails to Congress.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,293

    Default

    Those bills are going to go backwards with the new congress and that new congress has bigger problems to tackle. The FAA has crafted their proposal and it's made it through DOT review and is currently in the OMB for final review before being made public. Assuming that proposal represents a compromise position to the congressional versions, and assuming the FAA's version makes it through the comment period? The congressional bills will die a swift death. Most pilots believe the house and senate proposals were just a tactic to pressure the FAA to respond to the EAA/AOPA petition, anyway. If you don't remember, the petition asked for the LSA/no-3rd class category to be expanded to include up to 180hp and 4 passengers. Essentially that opens the LSA category up to 172s, Cherokees, Aeronca Sedans, etc at their traditional gross weights. I'm hopeful that we get that compromise. The OMB is supposed to be finished with their review in January.

  20. #20
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BQuad View Post
    I think the bill has 140 senators and reps co sponsoring it now, and pushing for a quicker review of it. If you haven't already EAA and AOPA both have links to send emails to Congress.
    Yes Sir, I'm a member of AOPA.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •