Thread: Grizzly 20D

Default Grizzly 20D

I am looking into a grizzly hunt in the 20D area (Coal Mine Rd area). I was wondering what everybody's thoughts were on bear numbers, ease of hunting, amount of bears we might see, hunting tactics etc. I'm thinking glass high on south slopes, but anything else to keep in mind? How far off the road system should I expect to be going to get into a huntable area. We would be hunting end of April, beginning of May. I have an ATV, but I'm not sure it would do much good at this time. Thank you for any suggestions or information you might be willing to suggest. Feel free to PM.

Andrew

Has anybody hunted this area?

specific details on areas are not given due to lazy hunters. If someone post that that area is good and any specifics the area will get alot of added pressure from people not willing to scout. For instance ptarmingan hunted last year and the area was really good, the next week someone posted it and their was ten cars in the area that was only one or two the week prior.

Andrew,

While there may be a bear in the area of Coal Mine Road, opportunities are much better in 20D North......North of the Tanana River. But, the terrain is harder to hunt.

Glassing the high country is a good plan. Might think about the little gerstle as well. I have not been there in a couple years, the numbers were not overly high then. If you spot one better not be to picky on color phase you may not see another.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Andrew,
    I have hunted that area for 4 years now and never once seen a single bear track, Griz or blackie. Good luck to you. I will be in that area looking for sheep all summer so maybe I will see ya there.
    PS IF I see a griz I will tie it up for you!
    Steve

Thanks for the help and ideas everybody. Steve_O just send a lasso around his neck and I'll meet you there.

yeah hunted in there for 2 yrs never saw a bear track... So good luck! I head to unit 13 if I was you!