Thread: Responsibilities of a charter fisherman. What are they??

Default Responsibilities of a charter fisherman. What are they??

We have a great thread going on about what makes a good charter and there is some great info on it. My question is this. What are the responsibilities of a charter fisherman? The charter operator is only one part of the operation. The people he is taking fishing for the day or week are important as well. We talked about what they us when we pay them to take us out but what do we owe them and also what do i owe the other people on the charter that are not with our group if we dont charter the whole boat. I have a few to get us started but i think we have responsibilities to them as well.

1. I owe it to EVERYONE to be on time and ready to go at the preset time.
    2. The charter operator paid a lot of money for his boat and gear. Treat it with respect.
    3. I owe it to the captain to tell him about my ability to tolerate rough seas at the time i book the charter not on the way out of the harbor.

To add...
    Don't come onto a charter vessel with a big attitude of being "JOE FISHERMAN".
    If the fish aren't cooperating, don't tell the crew that they don't know what they are doing.
    Show up sober.
    and for god's sake Girls, don't wear your fashion jeans!!!

He darn well better get me my limit of Halibut. I don't care if it's "one of those days" where the good fish are hiding where ya can't find them, you should be able to get 12 chickens (6 people) at the least.
    Last edited by pike_palace; 03-16-2011 at 09:29. Reason: darn*
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Don't bang the rod on the gunwhale of the boat an lazily reel it sideways AFTER getting a shark on it for 3 minutes before reeling and tangling up the other 5 lines on the boat - then the sideways lazy reeler bound up the ball of line on the reel so that it couldn't reel.....

This coming from non-other-than a Lifelong Bush Dwelling Alaskan Joe Bloe fisherman teacher know it all done it all works harder than anyone ever thunk'd......

Whew - I feel mo betta now...

If the captain hadn't of strung 20 pounds of lead to his ankle and threw him overboard I durn sure was about to....

Did I mention that I don't have the utmost respect for my elders on occasions like this?

Another customer responsibility - Do your research before you book the charter. This helps to set expectations. If a captain goes after chickens, is willing to be flexible, or is fishing for monsters only, this is good information to have before you book the trip.

Be dressed for the conditions & prepared for changes

Be physically capable of the demands of the trip. Deep sea fishing is strenuous.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I always like to bring the Capn a banana or two.... They like that. Also if you get sick don't bother to yak over the side most Capn's like it better if you spew on their electronics!!

I always like to bring the Capn a banana or two.... They like that. Also if you get sick don't bother to yak over the side most Capn's like it better if you spew on their electronics

If it's a six pack, charte the whole boat and fill it friends and family so you aren't fishing with folks that have totally different expectations (perhaps quite unrealistic)

My biggest thing is to show everybody the respect you want to be shown. Be greatful to be there, you paid for it. I tell the meat mongers, buy a side of beef before you come, if the "meat' is that important to you. Then we can have fun and catch fish... no pressure.
    Bananas are great... they're full of Potassium so you don't cramp up, and not bad Ling cod jig skirts.
    Please have fun, if not make it fun!

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    He darn well better get me my limit of Halibut.
    Boy, i'll tell ya, if you posted your picture as an avatar it'd get you a spot on the charter "86" list like a card counter in Vegas.
    You fail the attitude test with this....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Boy, i'll tell ya, if you posted your picture as an avatar it'd get you a spot on the charter "86" list like a card counter in Vegas.
    You fail the attitude test with this....
    I'm sure any guide will back me up on this.... Nobody wants to catch fish, more than the Captain and Crew. It's what we do!

One I have NEVER done but was told as a little boy not to do

Do not sit down and rest the Charter Boats expensive rod on the rail waiting for a bite. Especially Do NOT do it when you have a large fish on cause the rod is too heavy to hold up
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1