Thread: favorite "fur loads"

Default favorite "fur loads"

i was just wandering what most of you 223 shooters use as a "fur load"? i have been reasurching the v-max and A-max bullets for a good hide saving load. i would rather not shoot fmjs and risk a non leathal or inhumane hit. also has anyone ever had any expireance with the varmit grenade on predators?

let me know,
    thanks,
    joe,
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

I am shooting the Nosler BT 40 gr. Using IMR 4198 powder at 23.0 grains and WSR primer. Caution this is a max load. I have only shot 3 criters with this load so far and have not had one to exit yet. On smaler game this might be to much fur damage. I did shoot a red fox facing me and the bullet did not exit.

This is one of the first rounds that I have used for fur with a hot load. I usually slow my bullet down to help with fur damage.

I've had some horrendous damage from the 223 Vmax bullets. FMJ's in the 223 haven't been an issue and have dropped them dead on the spot. I have a friend who kills a ton of coyotes in the states and has had excellent luck with in the .223 50grain Sierra Blitz King's. It's tough if you're looking for a caliber to save fur on all the critters. Either slower FMJ's to minimize holes or trying to keep the bullet inside is the solution.

Now I haven't shot my favorite bullet in the 223, yet. I have been shooting a Speer 52gr HP out of my 22-250 for 25 plus years. I get 3760fps and this rarely exits. Usually stays inside. I have worked up some loads for my RRA AR but haven't had a chance to shoot them yet. Haven't shot anything but coyotes with it and some dogs that were chewing on our goats.
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

joefish,

did you get my PM?
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

The Varmit gerenades will tear the hide up, in my experience

FMJ are pretty much the only way to go.

Lots out here have went to the "grenades" and they worked well. seen quite a few with just a small hole in and no exit. Were shot with a 17 though.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

I use a 50gr nosler ballistic tip with 26.5 gr w748 at 3260 this load works with no fur damage
    also a 50gr nosler ballistic tip with 24.2gr of reloader 10 at 3389 works good exit hole is not to bad
    this is what i used to take many coyote and bobcat in oregon with great luck

no stanly i didnt recieve a pm,

at first i was all for fmjs but the last coyote i shot had a apple sized hole on the exit. i barly nicked the shoulder and even that small amount of bone made a huge hole. what is the smallest grain bullet you guys have tryed? and to clear things up i mean fur load for fox, lynx, and coyote. i dont relode yet, i have a freind who dose so im trying to figure out what load to for. are the hotter loads worse on fur?
    “We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.” - (Aldo Leopold)

Quote Originally Posted by joefish00000 View Post
    no stanly i didnt recieve a pm,

at first i was all for fmjs but the last coyote i shot had a apple sized hole on the exit. i barly nicked the shoulder and even that small amount of bone made a huge hole. what is the smallest grain bullet you guys have tryed? and to clear things up i mean fur load for fox, lynx, and coyote. i dont relode yet, i have a freind who dose so im trying to figure out what load to for. are the hotter loads worse on fur?
    Joe
    As you have seen, a FMJ isn't always the answer. A light, fast bullet "should" explode inside the chest cavity, when things go as planned. problems can arise if the bullet hits a stalk of grass or small twig and starts to open before contact with the target. This could result in a large entry hole or even a superficial blow up on the skin (only wounding the animal). You could also get full penetration/exit resulting in a large exit hole, though I think this is going to be a very low percentage problem.
    IMO, the light fast bullet is still the way to go - as long as we're talking 22 caliber (or smaller) ammo.
    Hand loading is a facinating hobby and the way to go (IMO). If you find the results with a given bullet are too explosive, you can always slow it down a little or try another bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanly View Post
    Now I haven't shot my favorite bullet in the 223, yet. I have been shooting a Speer 52gr HP out of my 22-250 for 25 plus years. I get 3760fps and this rarely exits. Usually stays inside. I have worked up some loads for my RRA AR but haven't had a chance to shoot them yet. Haven't shot anything but coyotes with it and some dogs that were chewing on our goats.
    I shoot the same thing in my 22-250. This hollow point will sometimes tear the heck out of a fox, so I switched to the fmj with no problems on the exit. I have shot 10 or so coyotes with the fmj and they died in their tracks!! Federal use to sell a 22-250 40 grain blitz factory loaded and you could shoot a jackrabbit and the bullet wouldn't exit!! I never tried them on fox as I was leaving Montana to return to Alaska for good, college was over. I love my 50 as I call it and I reload the 70 grain Speer soft point for deer.

I am another 223 55gr FMJ user. It has worked quite well so far and I see no need to change.

I only have fox here so a 25g bullet in 17 cal at 3300fps is about as perfect as it gets. .172" entrance and that's it. Hornady HP or Starke rpvb, both do great.