Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap-O RMK Gun Rack

Default Cheap-O RMK Gun Rack

IMG_2085.jpgIMG_2087.jpgIMG_2085.jpgIMG_2087.jpgI have been wanting a cheap removable gun rack on the front of my old war-horse RMK for a while now. Didn't really want a big Kolpin flopping around on the back, I wanted one that I could get to quick, and was easy to remove, so I could high mark, and not worry about tearing it off in case of roll overs. This is what I came up with. The rear can simply be twisted out of the mount, the front is attached with a wing nut. A scabbard could be added to keep the snow off when needed. I have $18 bucks in it, thanks to eBay, and a couple of hours of labor. I'm really happy with it. Please excuse duplicate pix, I haven't used this system before.

Default More Pix

Rear mount and backing plate
    Attached Images Attached Images

Were you having probs with snow under the hood? Why the duct tape?

Your mount looks plenty workable...

That is pretty B-A!! Im gonna have to look for a "war-horse" now just so I can make one of these mounts!

Default Cheap-O Ski doo Summit Gun Rack

Quote Originally Posted by gpaul99 View Post
    That is pretty B-A!! Im gonna have to look for a "war-horse" now just so I can make one of these mounts!
    A slight variation for the new to me Ski-Doo Summit 800......No duct tape needed on this sled, it has vents that can be closed......

Nice Dead sticker on the Doo!
    You don't have any concerns with snow in the barrel....or do you duct tape that too?
    Nice work.
    BK

That rifle holder looks very handy, Much handier than mine which is behind me. Still, I would be very concerned about the barrel end going through brush... even with tape on the end.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    That rifle holder looks very handy, Much handier than mine which is behind me. Still, I would be very concerned about the barrel end going through brush... even with tape on the end.
    Agreed. Your rifle/shotgun is out there for all the snow, brush, etc. to screw with the gun. A cordura scabbard can mount to the hood in a similiar manner and protect the front part of the gun. Not as cheap tho.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Another cheapo gun rack....rifle is holding up just fine....

Looks good but I would want a rubber on the muzzle.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

rubber gloves the fingers cut off work fine for the snow a rubber band will hold the fingers on just fine , if it is brush get cheep cloth gloves an cut the fingers off an rubber band to hold on SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    rubber gloves the fingers cut off work fine for the snow a rubber band will hold the fingers on just fine , if it is brush get cheep cloth gloves an cut the fingers off an rubber band to hold on SID
    We often just cover the end of the barrel with electrical tape. Now on that vintage of RMK, buy a piece of 1 1/2 by 3/16 aluminum flat bar and bolt it every 8" around the tub. Secure it to the bumper with hose clamps. You can knock down small trees with no damage to the machine. I've done it on several of them. makes going through the black spruce, especially the dead ones, a breeze.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Some don't like there rifle out in the open but this worked great for me in what little riding we had last year. Wasn't hard to figure out and is handy for a quick draw on the snow chickens.

I've since also welded up a rack for cargo space and packing, let's hope for a descent winter.

Nice job with the cargo rack!

I love the cargo rack, any more pics? I'd like to duplicate that

Pretty simple really, the base is an Up North Technologies tunnel rack that keeps cargo up off the tunnel and adds rigidity. To that I attached the rack I made with stainless bolts/nuts.
    I bought a 40 dollar rack from Snowmobile Salvage off a 90's Indy 500 and cut the nice bends out to use. I made it to the dimensions I wanted using 1/2" square tubing, had it all powder coated and ran wiring through it for the led stop/running light I picked up.
    When the sled comes out of hibernation this year I will work up a quick release of some kind for the removable passenger seat for the very rare times I need to use it. I made sure when making the rack the seat would still fit within it. Hopefully I get a chance to actually get enough miles on the machine to break it in this winter....think I have about 175 miles on her but am real impressed with the Ace 900 in that chassis.

Man, that's exactly what I want to do! I have the XP chassis, and need to be quick with the ol shotgun. Can you give any details on how you made that? Or did you buy it (I hope). I don't weld, so that might limit me a bit. Ever think of selling them?

Quote Originally Posted by xcrnr View Post
    Man, that's exactly what I want to do! I have the XP chassis, and need to be quick with the ol shotgun. Can you give any details on how you made that? Or did you buy it (I hope). I don't weld, so that might limit me a bit. Ever think of selling them?
    Of course I mean your gun holder - the rack is nice too, but my Expedition sport already came with a rack that works for me (pros of getting it from a dog-musher)

Sorry but it is fabbed up with the welder and not bought as a kit. It really isn't to difficult to make,the pics above would make it easy to duplicate or use to improve on in your own way. It's just some scraps that were laying around put to use. The butt holder is a thin gauge plate cut to the shape of the rifle butt with a little bigger circumference and 3/8" rod making the cage welded to it lined with fuel hose to protect the stock....upper mount is plate cut to the triangle flat shape on the cowling with one also on the backside to sandwich the plastic in between and make it rigid...top plate has a tab welded to it where I mounted a piece of an old rear window truck rifle rack with a bolt which allows me to adjust it up and down depending on which rifle I'm carrying with me at the moment. Hope that all made sense to you...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast