Thread: Light weight range finder

Default Light weight range finder

Looking for opinions on range finders to take on my sheep hunt this year. Id like to keep it under $400. I'm thinking Leopold 750.

Post this in optics...might get more action.
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by f0zzy2 View Post
    Looking for opinions on range finders to take on my sheep hunt this year. Id like to keep it under $400. I'm thinking Leopold 750.
    Don't learn the way I did, skip the Leupold and buy a Leica. If you just have to have a Leupold I will sell you one Cheap.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have to agree with Stid on this one. I have a Nikon Monarch Laser 800, weighs 7ozs. I've never gotten it to range over 500ish. Not that I want to shoot that far, but if you can range a critter at say 800+ then the rocks in between, you can do the math and get within range. Sometimes it's a little slow. All in all it's ok, does the job. I think I paid 200-250 bucks for it a new few years ago. I've ranged critters with it that I've shot. The Leica was twice as much then but really is twice the range finder.

I was on a sheep hunt with AKCub one time and he had a Leica 1200 crf when they first came out. We compared them side by side. Man, that thing was WAYYYY brighter than the Nikon and ranged 1000+ yds instantly. I ranged 1300 with it once.

You really do get what you pay for....

Just like SYND, I use my range finder more for ranging objects than I do game. Plus, the conditions encountered while hunting in Alaska are less than ideal for using a range finder. I did not start out with a Leica, bought my way up to one. Having owned several I now see the difference. The Leicas just do ranging, but they do it well.

Steve
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Don't learn the way I did, skip the Leupold and buy a Leica. If you just have to have a Leupold I will sell you one Cheap.

Steve
    I agree with Steve completely. I have Leica 900 and I love it. I have Leupold I could make a "sweet" deal on too.

Thanks for all the advice, If you guys would have posted the Leopold's for sale I probably would wave bought one. I'll be looking at the Leica and Nikon now. I love my monark binos. The range finder is my last big ticket item before Aug. Thanks for the advice

I would skip the Nikon too, I gave that one away. Worked fine to a couple hundred yards, but would not read much past that. I gave it to a bowhunter I know.

Steve
    Founding Member

I have only owned one brand of LRF - Leica. Well worth the price. Buy once and be content that you have the best. CRF 1200 (yards) 7.4 oz with battery and no case, 9.1oz w/battery and case. Doesn't get any lighter, or compact with unequaled quality. IMO, you cannot go wrong with Leica, they are the best when it comes to anything optical. TS

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Another vote for Leica,I have a rangemaster 1200,had it since 08,replaced it for the old blocky 900.The only reason I replaced it was what Snyd and Stid said,It sure is nice to range the critter from a distance and range how far a potential shooting spot in range of the critter is and sneak up to were you know they are close enough for proficient shot.The 300 yrds makes a differince.I know they are expensive,My wife wanted to kill me because I allready had one and had to have another{Brother sure liked his birthday present}.But as you all know, you pay for what you get,sure you can find em 500$ cheaper but quality is not cheap!

Thanks again guy's I would have learned my lessons by going the cheap rout and have had the tongue lashings from my wife later "Do you really need another one!!!" I'm buying the Leica CRF 1200, found won for $550 with free shipping. I think thats a good price from what i've seen.

You should be happy with that one.
    Founding Member

They got the CRF 1200 in Wasilla Sportsmans for $599.00.......I know its $40.00 more but if you need them right away there here, they also have the 1600 CRF for $799.00