Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 375 H&H loads, What would you do??

Default 375 H&H loads, What would you do??

Looking for advice for some 375H&H loads I'm working up for my Sako 375H&H. The loads will be used to hunt bears on Kodiak this fall and I plan on keeping my shots well under 200 and preferably around 100 yards. I fired a string to test for pressure from 72 to 76 grains of ReLoader 15, no pressure signs of any kind were noted and velocity was under published max. I loaded some for groups based on a couple recipes that were posted on this forum by members that I trust. All loads were fired from once fired range pickup brass that I resized for my Sako.

First group was 4 rounds of 73.5 grain of ReLoader 15.

Next group was 4 rounds of 74 grains of ReLoader 15, I had cleaned the barrel before I fired this group.

This was the last group of 5 rounds of 74.5 grains of ReLoader 15.

I believe I could go up a few grains with no issues. Should I try a few more groups with more powder or stick with 73.5 grains and call it good? Based on this data what would you do????

Thanks for looking

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I don't think you have presented enough data to verify which load is the most accurate. If you are saying that these pictures are indicative of the results you have witnessed with 10+ groups of each charge weight then maybe, just maybe you could say that one charge weight is more accurate than another. I think what you have shown is that RL 15 and the 270 TSX is a very good combination in your 375 H&H. As for the particular powder charge you select, I can't see that there is anything to choose between them for shooting under 200 yards.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Push her up to 75.0 in .2 increments at the current seating depth. It appears to me that your starting into an accuracy node around 74.5. My guess is that you'll find your load right around 74.8-75.0

Brent,

I shot up to 76 grains in my workup string. Looking at the data for published velocity I could go up to 77 or 78 grains. With each hotter load striking higher than the one before it.

75 grains = 2565fps
    75.5grains= 2585fps
    76grains= 2609fps

I think I will push it up a little and see what I get. Just to see more than anything, because I feel that the 73.5 grain load would suit my needs without excessive recoil.

This is my first Sako and all I can say is WOW, it cycles so smooth, that I opened the bolt twice to make sure I had chambered a round because it cycled so easy that I could not feel it feed.

Always fun to play with a new load and rifle.

Steve
    Founding Member

Any of those loads will toast a brownie. I'd worry most about reliability and hitting where I wanted. That would keep me down from max a ways and I'd plan on putting around 200 offhand shots a month through it for the 6 months leading up to the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Any of those loads will toast a brownie. I'd worry most about reliability and hitting where I wanted. That would keep me down from max a ways and I'd plan on putting around 200 offhand shots a month through it for the 6 months leading up to the hunt.
    200 rounds a month off hand?? My wife and Doctor would not want to hear that advice. Lets see factory 375H&H rounds 80 bucks a box of 20, so that's 4 bucks each times 200, that's $800.00 a month, times 6, that's $4800.00 for practice ammo. Good thing I reload.

I get the point though and thanks for the advice. I can promise you that there will be no "I missed or wounded" stories from me. I get close, shoot straight and repeat as necessary when it comes to bears.

I too believe in shooting and being proficient with your rifle and load of choice and I'm intimately familiar with both when I take to the field.

Always nice to know the capabilities of your firearm and ammunition.

I shot over 500 rounds through my 325wsm last spring before taking it into the field and feel that I did Okay with that combo.

Steve
    Founding Member

I'm only repeating what my favorite guide tells his clients. If they shoot half that and lie to him, he figures he's covered.

And you jumped from handloads to factory ammo on me. 200 rounds a month isn't going to come anywhere close to $4800, and probably won't approach the cost of what you'll lay out in airplane bills. If you go with cast for the majority of the offhand work up till the last couple of months, you're way further down the scale.

The big thing is to leave the benchrest behind in your practice. If it's only 500 rounds, so be it. But all standing without a rest.

stid2677,

On a recent 375 H&H thread using 270gr TSX's and RL-15 some load data was discussed. I personally found a great load in a Rem 700 with a 24" barrel at the 73.5 charge weight. Murphy discussed 73-74 with his post. I think your right in the ball park. The Barnes data is suspected to be flawed.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ht=#post903095

Your groups are great for a production hunting rifle and the lesser of your charges are deadly accurate. I agree with Cor about your sampling being small but what you have shown is very good.

Load up another 8 samples of your 73.5 recipe and shoot two 4 shot groups with cooling time between the groups. If your happy, go hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    stid2677,

On a recent 375 H&H thread using 270gr TSX's and RL-15 some load data was discussed. I personally found a great load in a Rem 700 with a 24" barrel at the 73.5 charge weight. Murphy discussed 73-74 with his post. I think your right in the ball park. The Barnes data is suspected to be flawed.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ht=#post903095

Your groups are great for a production hunting rifle and the lesser of your charges are deadly accurate. I agree with Cor about your sampling being small but what you have shown is very good.

Load up another 8 samples of your 73.5 recipe and shoot two 4 shot groups with cooling time between the groups. If your happy, go hunting.
    Thank you Sir, I have followed your posting about Barnes data and the two recipes I based my loads on were from you and Mr Murphy, after I pressure tested them in my rifle of course. I assure you that there will be many rounds down the tube before next fall and I take great pride in making clean kills. I always take any data with a grain of salt and work up to my loads.

Steve
    Founding Member

Have you tried H4895 with the 270TSX yet?

Does pretty good for me....

Quote Originally Posted by UncleJake View Post
    Have you tried H4895 with the 270TSX yet?

Does pretty good for me....
    No Sir, that was my first go with the 375H&H. I did want to try some N140 and N540, however I could not find any and was told that it may not be imported much longer.

I will continue to take advantage of the great weather here to get proficient with this rifle.

Steve
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'm only repeating what my favorite guide tells his clients. If they shoot half that and lie to him, he figures he's covered.

And you jumped from handloads to factory ammo on me. 200 rounds a month isn't going to come anywhere close to $4800, and probably won't approach the cost of what you'll lay out in airplane bills. If you go with cast for the majority of the offhand work up till the last couple of months, you're way further down the scale.

The big thing is to leave the benchrest behind in your practice. If it's only 500 rounds, so be it. But all standing without a rest.
    BrownBear,

Your advice is well received and I do get your point. Thought this is my first Kodiak Bear hunt it is by no means my first bear hunt. I'm a very experienced hunter and shooter. I have over 20 years of military shooting experience to include teaching marksmanship skills. I also own Jeff Coopers book "The Art Of The Rifle" and have practiced those drills many times.

I do get your advice about taking the time to know your rifle and to be able to shoot it from various positions and under stress.

I was going to extremes with the factory ammo cost example but, even with hand loads a 375 is still expensive to shoot. I figure each round cost me $1.50, the TSXs alone are 44 dollars a box of 50.

I too have seen many hunters that buy a big bore and shoot less than 20 rounds with it and show up to hunt. That is not how I roll for sure.
    I take very serious the danger involved and what can happen to me or worst my partner if I fail to make a clean kill. I also fully believe that it is my ethical responsibility to ensure a quick clean kill and feel a beast as magnificent as a Kodiak Bear deserves no less.

Steve
    Founding Member

Burnt some powder and learned that I should have stopped at 73.5 to 74.5 grains of ReLoader 15. Groups started to get bigger and velocity topped out at around 2600.

Founding Member

I am looking at your group with the 74.5 grain load. Go hunting and post a picture of your big bear. Besides you want spread your shots out a few inches, if you put them all in the same hole you won't do as much damage.

Back in the day when I had a 375 Weatherby mag I was using IMR 4064 with a 270gr slug. All I know that rifle beat me like I owed it money but man would that thing shoot! Killed an elk with that thing, broke my nose in the process and knocked myself stupid all at the same time, I was shooting up hill at the time and you all can figure out what happened when I touched her off... That was enough for me and I traded it off... Anyhow try some IMR 4064 you will be surprised

Not to get off topic I should of kept that thing it was built on a FN supreme action at the time 11yrs ago those actions were selling for 400-500 alone. Traded it to my buddy and come to find out from him it was one of the very early weatherby's when Roy Weatherby was building anything on everything at the time. Until he finally designed his own action.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Looking for advice for some 375H&H loads I'm working up for my Sako 375H&H. The loads will be used to hunt bears on Kodiak this fall and I plan on keeping my shots well under 200 and preferably around 100 yards. I fired a string to test for pressure from 72 to 76 grains of ReLoader 15, no pressure signs of any kind were noted and velocity was under published max. I loaded some for groups based on a couple recipes that were posted on this forum by members that I trust. All loads were fired from once fired range pickup brass that I resized for my Sako.

First group was 4 rounds of 73.5 grain of ReLoader 15.

Next group was 4 rounds of 74 grains of ReLoader 15, I had cleaned the barrel before I fired this group.

This was the last group of 5 rounds of 74.5 grains of ReLoader 15.

I believe I could go up a few grains with no issues. Should I try a few more groups with more powder or stick with 73.5 grains and call it good? Based on this data what would you do????

Thanks for looking

Steve
    I would call it "way good!"

Just caught up with your post now. I started and stopped with Varget with my 270 gr TSX's. At 67gr of Varget with the 270grainer I was at 2600 fps. OAL was 3.580" with a WLRM primer. That was in my Talkeetna which has a 24" barrel. Doggone rifle thought it was a varmint gun! Anyway, the griz up on the Talkeetna R. didn't care for it. Pass thru at a quartering away angle from 50 yards. Short run, thrashed around, death moan and that was that. R-15 would have been next if Varget wouldn't have worked out. That Varget is one heckuva versatile powder. From my .204's to the 375 H&H it works well.

That 73.5 gr load looks very nice. I don't see any OAL's written. Are you tweaking that or just using SAAMI specs?

Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    Just caught up with your post now. I started and stopped with Varget with my 270 gr TSX's. At 67gr of Varget with the 270grainer I was at 2600 fps. OAL was 3.580" with a WLRM primer. That was in my Talkeetna which has a 24" barrel. Doggone rifle thought it was a varmint gun! Anyway, the griz up on the Talkeetna R. didn't care for it. Pass thru at a quartering away angle from 50 yards. Short run, thrashed around, death moan and that was that. R-15 would have been next if Varget wouldn't have worked out. That Varget is one heckuva versatile powder. From my .204's to the 375 H&H it works well.

That 73.5 gr load looks very nice. I don't see any OAL's written. Are you tweaking that or just using SAAMI specs?
    I seated them into the first cannelure groove and crimped them, I know from past experience with TSXs that they like a lot of jump. Thanks for the tip on Varget, I will give it a try.

Steve
    Founding Member

Ok, I just looked at mine and they are in the middle of the most forward cannelure with a moderate roll crimp. So you have to be very close to what I have. If you have some, try it. If not, I wouldn't buy it. I like to use as few powders as possible cause of their expense. So when I find something that works, I buy the 8# keg. At present I have H4831SC, H4350 and Varget as my "go to" powder line up. What I also like about them is that they are what Hodgdon calls "Extreme Powder". That means they are formulated not to vary in velocity due to extreme high and low temperatures. R-15 is formulated the same way from Alliant. I think its their only one that is made for extreme conditions.
    Anyway looks like you are there.
    Steve, how is that new Swarovski scope?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast