Thread: Musk Ox poaching

Default Musk Ox poaching

Outside of this tragic waste ~ what is causing the demise of this heard? Predators, disease??

http://www.thearcticsounder.com/arti...d_near_nuiqsut
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I believe predators was the reason given years ago.

According to the Bio up there, the grizzlies figured out how to kill them after many years of not wanting anything to do with them. Then, it was like they started killing for sport.

talked to some bios who reported grizzlies doing multiple killings at once.
    Someone had a video on here a couple years back of a griz taking down three musk ox calves at once..shot the video from his truck if i recall right.
    Anyway, several herds were hammered by bears all at once. they figure the bear got ahold of one, but the muskox turned on him and he basiclly killed his way outa it...never fed on any, probably to beat up.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Interesting enough that they brought in musk-ox from greenland to restablish the Alaskan herd in the 1920/30's starting w/ 31 on Nunivak the using that herd to seed herds in other areas of the state. The only real problem with this is that the Greenland ox are decidedly smaller than the ones found in northern canada or the ones that formerly roamed our north regions. Interesting to note that there are no brown bears on greenland and I can't help but that the larger Canadian musk-ox would be better suited to inhabit regions where brown bears are present. I would love to see a 5 year moritorium on ox hunting in conjunction with bringing in about 30 large dominant males from Canada. The big canadian ox would certainly end up doing the majority of the breeding since it is based on dominance.

Here we go again, Point Hope all over again, and nothing wil be done as we know. Then on the other hand that fellow getting his stones busted over the defin. of a roadway and giving his son a warning ticket when he didn't do anything wrong! I must be getting old because I don't understand anymore.

There were quite a few Ox Drowned on the North Slope a few years back when they were out on sand bars in summer and went too far.

They caught that Janitor in Point Hope that gunned down all them OX, but ya, did **** little to 'em, what a shame. Last I heard, he movd back to where he came from in the 48.....guess his Alaska Hunting Adventure is over.......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Interesting enough that they brought in musk-ox from greenland to restablish the Alaskan herd in the 1920/30's starting w/ 31 on Nunivak the using that herd to seed herds in other areas of the state. The only real problem with this is that the Greenland ox are decidedly smaller than the ones found in northern canada or the ones that formerly roamed our north regions. Interesting to note that there are no brown bears on greenland and I can't help but that the larger Canadian musk-ox would be better suited to inhabit regions where brown bears are present. I would love to see a 5 year moritorium on ox hunting in conjunction with bringing in about 30 large dominant males from Canada. The big canadian ox would certainly end up doing the majority of the breeding since it is based on dominance.
    I was wondering why all the top B&C Ox are all from N. Canada. How many hunters take grizz out of that area?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am