Thread: Hb 20

Default Hb 20

I just received this....

AOC EMAIL ALERT HB 20. (House Bill 20).

We all need to come out and testify on behalf of bill HB 20. (House Bill 20). It will give personal use fishermen priority over commercial fisheries. That way Alaskan residents will get to fill their freezers first. Below are different method of communicating your intent.
    TITLE:
    "An Act providing for a priority for a fishery that is restricted to residents when fishing restrictions are implemented to achieve a management goal."
    BILL: HB 20 SHORT TITLE: PERSONAL USE FISHING PRIORITY
    BILL VERSION:
    CURRENT STATUS: (H) FSH STATUS DATE: 01/18/11

SPONSOR(s): REPRESENTATIVE(s) STOLTZE, KELLER, Neuman, Johnson, Thompson
    HEARING: (H) FSH Mar 15 5:00 PM CAPITOL 120 TELECONFERENCE
    TITLE: "An Act providing for a priority for a fishery that is restricted to residents when fishing restrictions are implemented to achieve a management goal."
    Alaska State Public Opinion Message System:
    Communicate with your legislators http://www.legis.state.ak.us/poms/
    or print out form http://w3.legis.state.ak.us/docs/pdf/pomform.pdf
    For a listing of the LIO 's, in your town, go here: http://w3.legis.state.ak.us/misc/lios.php
    We can make a difference. “The squeaky wheel gets the grease”. Pass this email on to like minded friends asking for their help.
    Please forward this email on to everyone on your friendly email list. If this email was forwarded to you:
    Join AOC and receive your own AOC email alert. Join online at www.alaskaoutdoorcouncil.org

If you need to update your information or request a mail in membership form you may send an email to membership@alaskaoutdoorcouncil.org
    Thank you for your support
    Sincerely,

Bill Iverson,
    President - Alaska Outdoor Council
    310 K Street, Suite 200
    Anchorage, Alaska 99501
    Phone: (907) 264-6645 Fax: (907) 264-6602

This is a terrible idea. It pits Alaskans against each other and both groups can share in the conservation of a resource. The Board of Fish plans state without question that conservation measures should be shared in proportion to harvest in the absence of a management plan. If a plan exist then the need for a priority goes away if the process is fair. This type of bill is a waste of time and energy and causes grief when it does not have to happen. That is what AOC does - work to eliminate a valid user group in Alaska and reject the idea that in some areas of the State the public interest is best served with a commercial priority and other areas a personal use priority or sport fish priority. A blanket law does the citizens of this state no good.

To further my point the recent BOF action or no action on the personal use fisheries shows this type of law is not needed. The PU fishery was basically not touched.

Default Quake in Japan has thrown the Earth off it's axis...

I love the concept that is stated in the full title "An Act providing for a priority for a fishery that is restricted to residents when fishing restrictions are implemented to achieve a management goal".

Obviously, their target for restrictions is the commercial fishery, but does it also apply to the sport fishery? How do you manage differentially for residents and non-residents in comm and sport fisheries?

Simply doing a personal use priority doesn't necessarily get us there...maybe I'm going to have to agree with akres AND ucida (talk about strange bedfellows) that PU fisheries need to be expanded...

Ya know, I should be rallying for this but I'm thinking I need to sit down and just keep quiet. I certainly do not want to piss off my sports fishery brothers. It just seems that Rep. Stoltze bill wants to protect Residents before giving out of staters that extra shot. But... What do I know, I'm just assuming..... YUP, you got it.
    Going to make some popcorn and keep my trap shut!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Awww...c'mon bushie! You're a resident and surely (as a constituent of Bill Stoltze's) he's looking out for your interests, as well.

What's that? Stop calling you Shirley?

Fullbrush - very nice.

Whop2000 - this bill would play right into the hands of UCIDA and the lawsuit. M/S clearly states salmon are federal and that the commerce clause and other provisions make this illegal under federal law. Are we not trusting enough in Alaskans to protect Alaskans who personal use fish. I understand why one would think otherwise based on what happened to subsistence fisherman in the 80's but the courts are now clear on how groups are to be treated.

More conflict and win/lose by AOC and the like. We do not need this in UCI or anywhere in this state. It is time to stand up and say enough to the power brokers. Again, I point out - sleep with a snake and you get a bite on your ass.

This will never pass, not only will it not fly with comm. fishing groups, but also KRSA. KRSA would never let this pass and maybe the guys writing this bill didn't think that it would hurt not just comm. fishermen but also guides. Anyway like UCIDA's proposal for nonresident dipnetting was quoted as "a waste of paper" this as well is a waste of paper, a waste of time, and a waste of state's resources. Come on guys (our state reps.) figure out the gas line first then try to get rid of comm. fishers.

Please pass the salt and parmesan.
    Making a statement? Maybe, maybe not. I was asked to comment on this and duly declined. Hey Shirley, wanna go for a beer this weekend? Just please leave the headdress at home.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?