Thread: Driver comfort comparison: side-motor on double-ender VS square-stern canoe?

Question Driver comfort comparison: side-motor on double-ender VS square-stern canoe?

Motor-heads,

I've always paddled my canoes, but I keep getting older, and the family keeps growing bigger.
    So someday, we're gonna need a bigger canoe, and probably get an outboard.

My question is; Which is more comfortable to drive?
    I'd rather stay facing forward as much as possible, rather than twist halfway around to work the tiller.

Thanx, Dave.

square sterned canoes arent uncomfortable at all. If you keep your arm twisted behind you.....it does get uncomfortable. BUT......if you keep a tiller extension hooked to the motor, you can keep the tiller extension under your arm right into your hand, and it's the most comfortable way to run a canoe since it's hard to sit sideways on certain models. If you do this......you can change between standing and sitting, and that's always a nice change to stretch your legs a bit. Side motor won't do much for yah up here, if this is where you plan to live. It's good to have a paddling canoe, and a motored canoe. The motored canoe can be controlled down river with a paddle, but doesn't glide too efficiently with a paddle on flat water. A paddling canoe with a motor hangin off the side aint the greatest set-up.

How large is the intended big canoe and how much power. I've used both quite a lot and like the side mount for double enders to 18' and not more than three HP. This outfit is intended mostly for lake travel.

Default HP and tiller extension

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    not more than three HP.
    Ya mainer is more in the 10-20 HP crowd for a canoe. Me too.

Second that tiller extension suggestion; love mine, though I went over the top a little (happily) with the longest one that Carbon Marine sells online.

on large water you can sit down an run with a tiller, EXT. {long} on small water or shallow you need to stand to let you scope out the water in front of the canoe an under , also let you judge the water depth so you can use your lift to pick the motor up an slow down in the a lake or river [if the water is clear] you can read the water better if standing then siting [even dirty water]
    my 2 cts
    SID