Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai Kwikfish fishing

Default Kenai Kwikfish fishing

Anyone have success during the July run using rubs such as the pro-cure herring pastes as opposed to wrapping with actual bait. In my opinion bait is a pain in the *****.
    Thanks in advance.

I really haven't had much luck with the paste, fresh bait (wraps) seems to work much better for me.

Default Don't forget the trout!

Baited Kwikfish work good on trout too. . .

Wink

Thanks for the $.02 Marcus. We should take a poll on who did not see that response coming in light of the other discussions taking place.
    As for real "dine" v "paste" to me it is much more of a hassel to mess with paste. cold water and vaseline don't clean up all the great, but fish blood will just wipe away. As for catch rates some guys like to use both, but if you wanted to help out with the discussion going on most of the other threads in this forum between Doc and Marcus use the paste and in the process you might just save a hog or two
    sorry guys I just couldn't resist

Well I will be there the last week so I may just take a chunk out of that 70 percent late july trophy pop. A couple responses have me thinking I will just stick with bait. I prefer to fish eggs anyway but we know you need a couple weapons in the arsenal to be effective.

I was thinking of wraping kwikfish with hearing on the deska when its legal to use bait have never done it before. How does it work do you think it will work on the deska sounds like you guys use it on the kenia any secret I should know like best way to keep hit on. Thanks for any help chris

Description and pix, as well as a link to a video here:

http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/r...ardinewrap.htm

The bait wrap also slows down wobble of the plug fellas ... a good thing for kingers Make 'em big and thick!!

Default Test Kwikfishery

This last year I got to spend a large amount of time on the Nushagak here in Dilly chasin kings and was introduced to the sardine wrap method by a friend that fishes the sainted Kenai. Granted this experiment was on a river that gets more than 100 k Kings in river most years but it's a great way to test the variables in a river where strikes are separated by minutes....not days, and should be applicable elsewhere.

I hit the water with herring oil, sardine oil, smelly jelly stuff, sardines, and sponge material and of course silly string. I was hoping that with more fish around I could just use sponge material soaked in either oil and save the expense and pain of gettin sardines in the bush. But after trying all of the above for substantial amounts of time. The wraps were tops, seconded by reapplying sardine oil to a used wrap...sometimes even the next day. Just the oils or smelly jelly stuff or even using the oil on a piece of sponge lashed to the kwikfish like a sardine plug were not anymore effective than a naked kwikfish as far as I could tell. A buddy of mine in the same area used herring wraps and I had a decided edge on overall hook ups with sardines. I'm not that experienced in the Kenai King dealio but this seemed a great place to compare and although some out here say that when you are on a 10 thousand fish day it doesn't make a difference what you are using and they are partially correct. With that many salmon in the river you will catch them at will if you know how to run a boat and tune a plug, but it was literally ridiculous with Sardine wraps. So, inconclusion, I would say that my research says that if it makes a difference in waters with lots of kings....it should give you the edge where there are less and the pressure is higher. Hope this helps some of you or better yet, spawns (pun intended) more trials of different stuff head to head in different areas.

King salmon didn't get fat eating paste... they got that way eating MEAT!

Wrap the real McCoy on there boys! Works for me...

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Kwikfish colors?

Cool pics doc!

That brings up one of my frustrations with the Luhr Jensen folks. What's the deal with Kwikfish colors?
    For example, the first pic you posted...I have never seen that color anywhere. I want it! ha!

I go to the Luhr jensen web site and they don't show half the colors that I know are out there. Where does everyone get their custom kwikies from?

Am I missing something here?

Hello, my name is Charlie and I have a Kwikfish buying addiction.
    <grin>

Kwiks come in a few standard colors, eveyone can buy and order such as large reatilers. You can create you own and order it but you will be stuck with alot of kwiks in the same color as the minimum is very high and extremely pricy to paint. With their recent buy out...well a while back now...there is much speculation as to what will happen with custom colors. The four guys left doing it here stateside may just have had enough of it, acoridng to rumors.....but we all know how those go.
    Your best bet to find custom colors is shop online...ebay...or go to Trustworthy, Ken's, Mountain View has a few unique ones, or start shopping web sites to the south of us. Sometimes they will get customs in the 16's
    Good luck in you search for the best kwik!!!!! I know we all have our favorites.

speaking of I saw a while back on another forum they had a kwik competiton. A buch of guys design their fav...we all vote...someone fronts the money and makes the order and we all buy one or more at the cost.....
    anyone game!!??!!??

Thumbs up Good Idea

Got to admit, read this thread last night and got to thinking, I don't have any real good colors either. And reading Clice's post I decided to do a search on ebay, and found that there were 3 auctions for Kwikfish. And I won 2 of the three bids. $70.00 total and I ended up with 18 different Kwick fish and 2 clear tackle cases. And most of them were colors I've have not seen at a store. Not bad thats about $3.80 a piece and two free tackle cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Clice View Post
    speaking of I saw a while back on another forum they had a kwik competiton. A buch of guys design their fav...we all vote...someone fronts the money and makes the order and we all buy one or more at the cost.....
    anyone game!!??!!??
    That's the I-fish board down in OR. I will try to port some pics of the tricked out designs that have won the contest since 2004.

The 2004 Cheese Measles is a classic... destined to be a Kenai classic, eh yukon?

I designed a winning plug in 2005 that was also pretty hot on the Kenai.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I own at least a dozen of them!!!

Default Cheese Measles!?

LOL....I want it I want it!!!

How do I get in on this?

Default K-16

Great pics. The attention to detail is a huge difference. Trim the pieces close and keep equal amount of meat on each side of the plug. Don't use too much string. Also, be careful of plugs for sale by load. I have a 5 gallon bucket of plugs to give away, but they just don't work. Mostly they just won't tune. I also think leader length, diver set up, and single hook set up are crucial. Way more than my .02.

Default Singles versus trebles

I mostly run 15's out on the Nush and this past year used trebles ....and what a pain in the butt for releasing fish....not to mention the pain for the fish. Will switch all of them over this year to singles but would love some info on the best way to do it for hooking efficiency and balance/tuning etc. Not to hijack here, but a pm from those in the know would be great.

Default pm

PM sent Catchit. Did you get it?

Default tuning plugs

Catch It
    Next time you are over this way I'll show you how I rig the singles - not to say it's the way to go, but it works. That'll also give us something to talk about other than my new kid.

Hope things are good out your way

Tom

Default jtm9

Could you get into more specifics on the rigging. Ran them free sliding with the chain, tuned the baits and still could not get them to dive correctly. I charter on Lake Erie and agree that rigging and location are by far the biggest factors to success. If you could help a Lower 48 angler out on some tactics, specifically the Kenai, but general rigging tips would also be much appreciated!! Thanks in advance, John.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast