Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Thread: My Gear, Your Area, Moose Hunt!!

  1. #1
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default My Gear, Your Area, Moose Hunt!!

    Okay here's the deal. I'm looking for someone to moose hunt with this fall. I would like to do an ATV based hunt and have all the gear required for both myself and whoever I hunt with. I have never done any serious ATV hunts and have no idea as to a location. I have taken several moose and really don't mind if I harvest a Bull or not. I'm a serious hunter and a decent cook. Don't mind an adult beverage after the days done but don't want to be around anyone sloppy drunk either. I'm an honorable man and give my word that I will not return to or bring anyone else to any hunting spots shown to me. I have a good camp setup with cots, table, stove and 2 Arctic Oven tents and stoves. Want to use my Mudd-OX track rig, it is not a fast vehicle but very capable. Have a Pacrat trailer and can haul 2 to 3 people and gear. Can go in early and make camp as well. I'm more interested in being in a moose camp around like minded people than I am about taking another moose. If I was to take a Bull I would be more than happy to share the meat. Well financed and willing to pay my share. Just don't want to do a flyout for moose this year, but know I will be miserable if I stay at home. If this sounds like something you may be up for send me a PM. I'm 48 yo and live in the Fairbanks area, but will drive about anywhere there is a road to hunt.

    To be clear, YOUR SPOT my gear.

    Steve
    Last edited by stid2677; 03-14-2011 at 19:52.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky
    Posts
    592

    Default

    Steve-

    I've been around long enough to know you are a man of your word and I have no doubt you would live up to everything you've stated. However, someone new to this forum, who isn't familiar with what a man of your stature is all about, may be a little confused by the title of your post. Lets just say I'd be really clear about your intentions when you start getting PM's from dudes you don't know that claim to be 'curious'.

  3. #3

    Default

    I like you haven't done a ATV hunt. However if I had OR were I would have no reservations about having you as a partner. Best of luck finding a great partner, and a good hunt.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

    On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

  4. #4

    Default

    Steve,

    You probably should have cleared your PM box before posting that offer - it's already full.

    Michael

  5. #5
    Member mossyhorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Woodland, Washington
    Posts
    866

    Default

    I wish I had a moose spot! I've been trying to think of a way to do a moose hunt this year for not a lot of money but don't have a wheeler or a boat.

  6. #6
    Member Hunt'N'Photos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska
    Posts
    1,210

    Default

    Steve, if you dont mind hunting with two of us shoot me a PM. I would be honored to share a camp with you!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

    To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

  7. #7
    Member akjeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    788

    Default

    Steve,

    Lets meet up somewhere in PWS this spring. I will be out there every Wed, Thu and Fri from second week of May thru June 10. I am usually somewhere in Port Nellie Juan, "My Show" is my call sign. I may be on the "Tahevol 2" but most likely my own boat. I would love to chat and share some stories.

    Jeff

  8. #8
    Member northriver21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    554

    Default

    Steve,

    I am most likely booked for this year and normally only hunt with family, but you are one of the "few" that I would like to someday share a trip with. I may have some time in late Sept after I have taken my boys on their hunts.

    I hope you find what your looking for.... I have a very similar setup as you (Argo/Fat-Rat) and we could cover some ground for sure.

    If you think of a mutual first trip and want to try a new area shoot me a PM and let's give it a go. I always like to try something different.

  9. #9
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akjeff View Post
    Steve,

    Lets meet up somewhere in PWS this spring. I will be out there every Wed, Thu and Fri from second week of May thru June 10. I am usually somewhere in Port Nellie Juan, "My Show" is my call sign. I may be on the "Tahevol 2" but most likely my own boat. I would love to chat and share some stories.

    Jeff
    I should have my RV at the Bearpaw RV park from the 23rd of May up to the 10th of June, most times I stay in slot #35, my call sign is "High and Dry". Always enjoy meeting hunters and talking hunting.

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  10. #10

    Default

    Steve,

    This might be the first year in many years that may not make it to moose camp in the fall. Depending on how sheep hunting goes I may make it. Normally I would invite in a second, its just I have all these dang draw tags I am committed to and it wouldn't be fair to bank a moose hunt chance on a "maybe", if the offer is around next year I'll be sure to invite ya along.

    But I do have a late fall cow moose hunt up by your neck of the woods, not exactly the same experience but ya know I can always use the help.

    Having hunted with Steve this past year, I can attest to him being a rock solid hunting partner even when the going gets tough. In fact we are going back to Kodiak together this year....so he can't be all bad.

    Good luck finding a partner Steve.

  11. #11
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Steve,

    This might be the first year in many years that may not make it to moose camp in the fall. Depending on how sheep hunting goes I may make it. Normally I would invite in a second, its just I have all these dang draw tags I am committed to and it wouldn't be fair to bank a moose hunt chance on a "maybe", if the offer is around next year I'll be sure to invite ya along.

    But I do have a late fall cow moose hunt up by your neck of the woods, not exactly the same experience but ya know I can always use the help.

    Having hunted with Steve this past year, I can attest to him being a rock solid hunting partner even when the going gets tough. In fact we are going back to Kodiak together this year....so he can't be all bad.

    Good luck finding a partner Steve.
    Thanks Luke,

    I have a warm place here for you and Becca to stay at while she gets her moose and you know you can count on me for any support you might need to make it happen for her. I know you have a full plate this year and I can't wait to see you smiliing with your first sheep. I would give anything to be there for that. I know that we will share that story while we are chasing them "Big Kodiak Gophers"

    I'm sure we will get her a bear this spring.

    Thanks my friend

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  12. #12
    Member AKArcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    688

    Thumbs up First hand experience

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Okay here's the deal. I'm looking for someone to moose hunt with this fall. I would like to do an ATV based hunt and have all the gear required for both myself and whoever I hunt with. I have never done any serious ATV hunts and have no idea as to a location. I have taken several moose and really don't mind if I harvest a Bull or not. I'm a serious hunter and a decent cook. Don't mind an adult beverage after the days done but don't want to be around anyone sloppy drunk either. I'm an honorable man and give my word that I will not return to or bring anyone else to any hunting spots shown to me. I have a good camp setup with cots, table, stove and 2 Arctic Oven tents and stoves. Want to use my Mudd-OX track rig, it is not a fast vehicle but very capable. Have a Pacrat trailer and can haul 2 to 3 people and gear. Can go in early and make camp as well. I'm more interested in being in a moose camp around like minded people than I am about taking another moose. If I was to take a Bull I would be more than happy to share the meat. Well financed and willing to pay my share. Just don't want to do a flyout for moose this year, but know I will be miserable if I stay at home. If this sounds like something you may be up for send me a PM. I'm 48 yo and live in the Fairbanks area, but will drive about anywhere there is a road to hunt.

    To be clear, YOUR SPOT my gear.

    Steve

    I can verify that everything listed above is 100% true. I have hunted with Steve in 2008 and while we didn't harvest a moose my trip with him was 100% successful.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.


    AKArcher

  13. #13
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    I can verify that everything listed above is 100% true. I have hunted with Steve in 2008 and while we didn't harvest a moose my trip with him was 100% successful.
    We didn't get a moose but Travis was one heck of a fire builder!! and we shared more dragging than I want to do again.





    Even shared an awesome sunset, yes I considered it a success as well my friend.



    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  14. #14
    Premium Member denalihunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    67 mi E of Cantwell, 68 mi W of Paxson
    Posts
    1,556

    Default

    Steve! Great post. We'd love to have you out here! ATV hunts are easy right from the lodge. We can do some bartering, and you will have a great hunt. Cheap, fun, and usually successful! Anyhow, give it some thought. Jen said she enjoyed having you here last summer!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

  15. #15
    Member AKArcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    ANC
    Posts
    688

    Default

    Man the dragging we did at the end of that trip was enough to make both of us happy we didn't put bullwinkle to rest.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.


    AKArcher

  16. #16
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    Steve! Great post. We'd love to have you out here! ATV hunts are easy right from the lodge. We can do some bartering, and you will have a great hunt. Cheap, fun, and usually successful! Anyhow, give it some thought. Jen said she enjoyed having you here last summer!
    Claude
    Mr Claude,

    I will keep you in mind. Had an awesome time at your place last summer. It was so nice in fact that if I do come, I may find myself spending more time in the lodge than out hunting. Will for sure stop by to see you and the family this summer.



    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Okay here's the deal. I'm looking for someone to moose hunt with this fall. I would like to do an ATV based hunt and have all the gear required for both myself and whoever I hunt with. I have never done any serious ATV hunts and have no idea as to a location. I have taken several moose and really don't mind if I harvest a Bull or not. I'm a serious hunter and a decent cook. Don't mind an adult beverage after the days done but don't want to be around anyone sloppy drunk either. I'm an honorable man and give my word that I will not return to or bring anyone else to any hunting spots shown to me. I have a good camp setup with cots, table, stove and 2 Arctic Oven tents and stoves. Want to use my Mudd-OX track rig, it is not a fast vehicle but very capable. Have a Pacrat trailer and can haul 2 to 3 people and gear. Can go in early and make camp as well. I'm more interested in being in a moose camp around like minded people than I am about taking another moose. If I was to take a Bull I would be more than happy to share the meat. Well financed and willing to pay my share. Just don't want to do a flyout for moose this year, but know I will be miserable if I stay at home. If this sounds like something you may be up for send me a PM. I'm 48 yo and live in the Fairbanks area, but will drive about anywhere there is a road to hunt.

    To be clear, YOUR SPOT my gear.

    Steve
    Why didn't I think of this! This is so much easier than trying to zoom in on forum member hunting pics and trying to decipher by terrain and sun location where they are hunting. Dang!

    Although we would all like to believe in your integrity, are you comfortable wearing a blindfold, while I drive your rig into my area? Also, You will be sequestered to the full rain fly cook shack until dark, but you can cook, and hang-out by the fire. Deal?

  18. #18
    Member smarion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    224

    Default Really?

    WOW! Guess he's off the list!




    Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Why didn't I think of this! This is so much easier than trying to zoom in on forum member hunting pics and trying to decipher by terrain and sun location where they are hunting. Dang!

    Although we would all like to believe in your integrity, are you comfortable wearing a blindfold, while I drive your rig into my area? Also, You will be sequestered to the full rain fly cook shack until dark, but you can cook, and hang-out by the fire. Deal?

  19. #19
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Why didn't I think of this! This is so much easier than trying to zoom in on forum member hunting pics and trying to decipher by terrain and sun location where they are hunting. Dang!

    Although we would all like to believe in your integrity, are you comfortable wearing a blindfold, while I drive your rig into my area? Also, You will be sequestered to the full rain fly cook shack until dark, but you can cook, and hang-out by the fire. Deal?
    Mr 1S1K,

    Thank you Sir for your generous offer, However I don't feel that I could make that long ride blindfolded without getting motion sickness.
    I can assure you that POACHING someones hunting spot is not the experience that I'm seeking. I'm more interested in making new friends and perhaps helping another hunter be successful. I have been blessed enough to harvest a few nice Bulls and would be happy to finish out my hunting days without taking another. I for sure would not compromise my integrity, in which you questioned to do so.

    However, if you would ever like to accompany me on a fly-in I would be happy to bring you along "no blindfold required". We maybe even to find a few like these.









    Thanks for your response and I wish you the very best of luck this fall.

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  20. #20
    Member tyrex13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage/Soldotna
    Posts
    1,176

    Default

    Those last two pics are absolutely incredible. Let me know if you ever want to go "moose camping" on the Kenai, I'm sure we'll see lots of cows and bears.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •