Thread: Wrangell mountains info

Default Wrangell mountains info

Looking for some info if anyone is willing to share it. This is going to be my first foray into the Wrangells and i've contacted close to a half dozen air charters who work that area. I've got a couple of areas already picked out but i'd like to know if it is worth taking my wife there to chase rams. If you hunted the Wrangells before and are willing to share a bit of knowledge shoot me a pm and we can talk about the areas I am looking at. I know some people here get all bothered about sharing info in public which is why I am doing this via pm. I will have to put down a deposit and the sooner I can get some worthwhile info the sooner I can gt this booked. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

i think i'd put some stock in what the air charters have to say, i know on the south portion there are some areas air charters won't go because of established guides. the portion of the wrangells i was in, i was impressed by the amount of rock and the amount of rock you won't be traveling thru..amazing mtns for sure. make the talkeetnas and some of the chugach look kinda sissy. be ready to go hard core.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Ill be doing a walk in hunt there this year. Thats why the training has started so early... Definitely look into areas that aren't quite as rugged (Depending on the shape your wife is in). Like BRWNBR said, There are some parts to those mountains that go from "wow this is tough", to "wow this is impossible..."

Having hunted there, I would not go back or take my wife. What area that is not divided up and dominated by guides and transporters is very rough and hard to traverse.

Just MHO, YMMV.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

dominated by guides is a good way to put it. most of the sheep guides i've heard of or know about there run between 12 and 14 sheep clients a fall...
    did hear that one transporter dropped 40 residents into the south wrangells one fall...
    Master guide 212

It is interesting that some of the sheep hunters who are locals from this unit are moving to the Brooks Range. I know two who did.
    North Wrangells is definitely easier to hunt.

It really depend on your skills, how comfortable you are traveling in the big mountains and where you are trying to navigate. The premier (still available to you) hunting areas are more difficult to access and you may well encounter rock, snowy slopes or glaciers - sometimes all three that require more technical skills than just mountain hiking on established trails and routes. (I won't be any more openly specific than that).

Some rock climbing experience is almost a necessity and even mountaineering (alpine climbing) experience is a definite asset in these mountains. Hunting in the Wrangells can be very dangerous due to the terrain as well as the unpredictable hazards e.g; severe weather, rock falls and slides, personnel injuries, etc. that you may encounter.

When venturing in to some areas of the Wrangells you definitely need to have your stuff together and be aware of you and your partner's level of experience, capablities and limitations. Long way of saying, hunting in the Wrangell Mountains is serious business and not for the faint of heart. I say go for it! Just be aware of what you are getting into. PM me, if your still interested.

"AND YE SHALL KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YOU FREE."

JOHN VIII - XXXII

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Having hunted there, I would not go back or take my wife. What area that is not divided up and dominated by guides and transporters is very rough and hard to traverse.

Just MHO, YMMV.

Steve
    Agree w/Steve. Been there done that. It was a hunt of a lifetime though.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Ditto what everyone has said. Tough country but quite spectacular. It wouldn't be by my first choice for a husband/wife trip.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I've gathered up some very good info and this hunt is going to happen unless I cannot get an air charter. I know the Wrangells can be a tough place to hunt but there are areas that can be hunted without killing yourself. I'm experienced enough to know mine and my wifes limitations and what has been said in a few of these posts isn't going to discourage us from hunting this area. It can be and will be done and we welcome the opportunity hunt some new country. Appreciate the advice anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    I've gathered up some very good info and this hunt is going to happen unless I cannot get an air charter. I know the Wrangells can be a tough place to hunt but there are areas that can be hunted without killing yourself. I'm experienced enough to know mine and my wifes limitations and what has been said in a few of these posts isn't going to discourage us from hunting this area. It can be and will be done and we welcome the opportunity hunt some new country. Appreciate the advice anyways.
    I thought you were floating for caribou. Sounds like its going to be a busy year!

no ones trying to discourage you from hunting there...just giving you a heads up on what the area is like. you asked for info and they gave it to you. have a riot out there. but we'd have felt dumb if you went out there and came back saying "wow it was rugged, wish someone woulda mentioned that before we headed out!"
    It gets the crap hunted outa it every year, so obviously its not impossible. One of the prettiest places going if the weathers nice. that is until you get to another spot in alaska with nice weather...and so on.
    Master guide 212

Not to mention that you're closer to AkHunter55 than AkHunter45...

;-]]]

I mean, what are friends for?!

Taylor

John, I thought you drew Delta sheep?
    Or was this just a sheep hunt for the wife and to get prepped for DS204?
    Proud to be an American!