Thread: SAFE affordable ATV for my son?

Default SAFE affordable ATV for my son?

Hi, I've been all over the internet trying to find reviews for a lower priced ATV for my son and I'm not having a lot of luck, so I hope you can help me.

Since he's going to outgrow it eventually, I don't want to spend a ton of money on a new ATV, but I'm also nervous about buying a used one because I don't want to adopt someone else's problems.

Can anyone tell me if this is a safe machine and a decent price?

90cc Kids ATV

i got a 3 wheeler id sell
    Semper Fi!

How old is your son?
    Define "safe".
    What price range are you looking for?

i have some cfmoto japaneese 90cc machines i's be willing to let go for around 200 a piece they ran fine last summer and my kids have out grown them. let me know.
    He who don't float. Don't follow the ARGO!

Don't waste your time with those off brand 4 wheelers they sell in Anchorage off Arctic. They are junk. My sons best friends family got a pair and they didn't make the season with it. No service. Not sure how old your son is but Honda Recon for about 3 grand (new) is a great machine. Granted its a 2 WD but it is very light and will go were most 4 WD's will go. My youngest son got one at age 11 and he's 16 now and just outgrowing it. The only thing I've done to that machine is change the oil once a year, put a set of tires on it and replaced 2 batteries. It runs like a champ and easy to start. Its easy on fuel also.

Greythorn what kind of wheeler ya got? I used to float my big red down the knik. I have so many cool memories.
    I'd be way interested if you aren't f.o.s...

The bombardier 90 is a good childs ATV from what I have seen. The steering is light, center of gravity is low, governor works well, and it's dang hard to flip over. The only complaint is it will stall while crossing shallow water. Still the stability of this lil mini is its finest selling point. Overall I consider it a safe ATV for a child. My daughter has no problems handling this ATV solo.

A remote control four wheeler is going to be the safest and cheapest route...

I like the LT80's. You can get a kit to widen them and make them very stable. I have seen them in good shape for 800-1000. Not too much worry about the model year, they were the same from 1986-2006 when they cancelled the model. I have two LT80 projects ($300 total) that I am working on for my kids and I picked up a 2004 Polaris Sportsman 90 for $500 in 2009 so there are deals out there. That is especially true if you can fix up one that needs a little TLC.

Aside from that, there is no such thing as a "safe" ATV, Dirtbike, Bicycle, or skateboard but many of the Chinese models do have issues like exposed chains/gears that can catch a foot or a finger. The "real" quads don't have those issues unless someone went in and removed the safety measures.

Something like this may just fit the bill depending on the age of the kid.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/2259975347.html

For a smaller kid. The old 50cc suzuki quads are pretty darn indestructible.
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/2275405797.html

no way im not selling my big red
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    no way im not selling my big red
    I don't blame you! Those things are as cool as they get. I am gonna try and rebuild my old one, my brother tore it to **** and now it sits at his buddies house. Guess I need to go collect...

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    I don't blame you! Those things are as cool as they get. I am gonna try and rebuild my old one, my brother tore it to **** and now it sits at his buddies house. Guess I need to go collect...

what year is yours?
    Semper Fi!

I'm not ceratin, but I believe it is an 83' or 85'. Sweet as sugar.
    I'll try to dig up some pics next time i'm in the valley.

When it comes to kids wheelers the biggest "safety" item is the kid himself. That is what causes most of the injuries. Kids need supervision to be safe. Family riding is the best solution for many.

I can tell you first hand from having owned a head trauma rehabilitation facility that 4 wheelers were the number one reason for us to have patients. Broken down further, 4 wheelers and kids were seen more than any other age group or reason for our services.

If you are going to tempt death by buying your child a 4 wheeler, please do not let them ride it unless you or someone you designate are supervising.
    NRA Life Member since 1974