Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: POW Island Deer Hunting

Default POW Island Deer Hunting

I am debating about traveling to POW Island to do some deer hunting next fall. My question is about lodging. Has anyone stayed at Thorne Bay Lodge or the Public Use Cabins? I am looking into something that has relatively easy access. I will be on a budget so do not want something that I must fly into. I know there are at least a couple cabins that have road access.

If anybody can help with pointers on which cabin or lodge on the island will be good for deer hunting and maybe some fishing mixed in there as well.

I live here in Thorne Bay and would help if you contact me direct.

I believe the owner of Coffman Cove Adventures posts on here a bit and has posted some nice hunting reports. Not sure if his operation fits into your budget, but here's the link: www.coffmancoveak.com

We will be on a tight budget but also willing to spend a little if I can justify the value. At coffman we will be looking at like 1150 for a week per person as opposed to thorne bay being 1000 or the public cabins being much less.

If you have your own vehicle, a FS cabin would be an inexpensive way to have a roof over your head and the ability to dry out gear.

You can find out information on places to stay here on the Island at the following:

http://www.thornebayalaska.net/

http://www.princeofwalescoc.org/

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/cab...bin_info.shtml

You should consider ordering the Prince of Wales Island Road Guide available at
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/dis...r/maporder.htm
    or you can order it from http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/dis...pow/tbrd.shtml
    You can call the Thorne Bay Ranger District at 90-7-828-3304 and ask them about the Access Management Plan road maps...this will show you the open and closed roads.

If your planning your hunt you could use Google Earth. If you go to http://www.mhtrustland.org/index.cfm...=Exchange-Home and follow the posting to Land Exchange Proposal.kmz which is a Google Earth layer you can get a detailed recent air photograph coverage of the island which lays over their digital elevation model. It shows much more detail than the current imagery in Google Earth. That way you can research your access options and where roads go high getting you closer to the alpine if that is your chosen hunt.

Wasilla Baseball team is doing a raffle for a deer hunt on POW. You would stay at Coffman Cove Adventures and airfare is included. PM me if you would like more info or tickets.

You can stay in my alpine camp. It will be wide open for the whole month of October. If you want to stay longer than that it costs a little extra, to re-winterize the place you know. Standard fee is two backstraps per person.

It's not much, but you can start hunting right from the back door.
    Alpine is awesome...

I might have to take you up on that Beau!
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

I am doing the same thing, I am looking into trying to Ferry across and use my truck and a public use cabin to hunt. If there is any better places to do this, please let me know. I am also looking into mybe Kodiak for deer hunting. Bottom line is I want to deer hunt and would perfer to have a public use cabin. Also if flying into a lake is best, can someone tell me what is the best way to do so. Who to use, were to fly to, shouldi ferry down then fly? Thanks to all.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

thanks for the offer Beau. It will not be until next year that we will be going. If it will be available for fall of 2012 let me know and we can discuss some details and see if it will work.

Quote Originally Posted by beauhunter View Post
    You can stay in my alpine camp. It will be wide open for the whole month of October. If you want to stay longer than that it costs a little extra, to re-winterize the place you know. Standard fee is two backstraps per person.

It's not much, but you can start hunting right from the back door.
    I'm too paranoid to sleep up high. I'm scared that the wind will swirl and scare off all the big nocturnal bucks that I'm looking for at 1st light. I camp just below the alpine in the timber, and climb up to the alpine in the dark to be in position at first light. I'm sure their are plenty of ways to do it though!

Quote Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
    If you go to http://www.mhtrustland.org/index.cfm...=Exchange-Home and follow the posting to Land Exchange Proposal.kmz which is a Google Earth layer you can get a detailed recent air photograph coverage of the island which lays over their digital elevation model. It shows much more detail than the current imagery in Google Earth.
    That was a good tip, thanks! The clouds on the standard Google Earth were right over our place in Whale Pass, and a few other places of interest.

Yeah, I know what you mean Joel. I just put that up there so other guys think that the area is hunted out. Besides that's way too fancy living for me.
    Alpine is awesome...

Blackpowder, excellent info no wonder you get those big uns! Thanks for that.

Archie, you can do an inexpensive trip to the island, the info Jim gave you is good info for most of what is available here. As we are full for 2011, I know of a few options that may help. A few things to keep in mind are the amount of folks you have and expectations for the trip. Cars run $80-$100 a day to rent, cabins 35-200 per day to rent. Food, more expensive than Utah but not crazy. ANY public use cabin that is road accessible can be hunted from. Have a car, get a map, make it happen. If you come late enough, cooler space is not an issue.

COST - Acutally our prices are $1225 per week BUT ours includes meals and no minimum on folks. 1-6 same price (though we limit hunters unless arranged as a whole group) TB Lodge is $4000 flat rate per week 1-4 folks NO food. Up to 12 folks in camp. Apples to Oranges ;-) Nice place. Rent a car and cabin on your own ~$1500 total for the week. Having a shower and dryer is key.

Things to keep in mind - If you decide to go the lodge route ask them success rates, repeat business, freezer space, showers, vehicles, etc. Some are set up with walk in freezers, butchering facilities, etc. Anyone touting 4 deer for a week isn't being realistic, keep that in mind for a first time trip. We have folks that come every year that know the land and can harvest at will. New folks struggle a bit to learn the lay of the land (we and other DIY operations CANNOT help DIY hunters so it is a learning curve). Finally shop local - staying with folks who live on the island and have a vested interest in the resource is something we encourage for what it's worth.

I will be in Salt Lake City tomorrow for the sportsmans show if you'd like to chat we'll be there all weekend. I have some good brochures from the island that may help you to get you in the right direction.

Good luck!
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Are a lot of lodges starting to offer "deer packages" to offset for the downturn in charter fishing?

Joel,

I don't think so, I haven't heard of any. Wouldn't make too much sense really, most of the bigger lodges are shut down by then so to re-open and have everything available a person needs (vehicles especially) the cost/benefit isn't there. Additioanlly there aren't a lot of sitka hunters out there to make it viable to open up a huge place. Folks like us and others in Coffman and around the island run a few folks a week and it is all we need to be viable as we are pretty small - 95% of my deer guys are Alaskans which is cool. TB lodge DID just get into the deer game two years ago to offset lack of business but I don't think that had anything to do with limits.

You been fishing? We got pounded by snow up here in Coffman the last week, I was in Craig Monday and you guys got nothing. Lucky.

G
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

I went out this morning for the first time since Dec and froze. Forgot how cold it can be out there. No kings. Boat is all ready to go though. I'm more excited about killing a black bear than catching kings, but $8.75lb will keep me heading out..(grin)

Picked up a keeper sunday before last. Actually I didn't catch it, I was low man on the totem pole and had to fish the hoochie. So I mostly held down the couch. Only been out twice this winter trolled about 8 hours total, and picked up two keepers and a shaker.
    Alpine is awesome...

I've heard you guys had some good winter fishing over there. The guys who fished did ok this winter over here. I fish an open style skiff. Good for hunting and summer fishing, but you really feel the elements in the winter time so I tend to stay home. Now, back to deer hunting...(grin) I promised my 10 year old a 4x4 buck, if he didn't get in any trouble for the rest of the school year. That was at Christmas. Looks like i'll be finding him a 4x4 in Aug if he keeps doing well.. Kid knows when to behave himself!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast