Thread: Jetboil and freezer bags

Default Jetboil and freezer bags

I'm prepping for my DS204 this fall and have been doing alot of research. I enjoy the forums and thought I would put in my 2 cents.
    I've probably compared about 100 tents(my old Eureka Summit is at the end of the trail after 13 years) and read every review I could find. It's between a MSR fusion (heavy)but bullet proof Big Agnes SL2 or a Mountain Hardware light wedge 2.
    Anyway I'm going lite with 1 other person. and have decided to go with my Jetboil. It's sure hard to not take my MSR dragongly. It's been a REALLY good stove.
    I've been running unofficial "tests" all week and it sure is an awesome cooking system. They have a good web site, with lots of tips, like store your fuel canister upside down to avoid rust spots.
    I came across another really good site for recipies. Simply add boiling water from what ever stove you like.
    Hope it helps
    Check out www.freezerbagcooking.com

Default Stoves.

I went on a 10 day sheep hunt and a 14 day moose float hunt last year and used the same stove setup up you mentioned. I would take both. The jet boil is great, however. It really only shines for boiling water quickly. Hard to cook for 2 people with it. We aslo had trouble with the jet boil when the temps got low. Had to warm the fuel to get it burn right. I would never go with only one stove. To me a stove is the single most important item. That MSR dragron fly, will burn anything that you pour in it. I have had mine for 7 years and it has been around the world, even to Iraq and is still going strong. The jet boil is great for the day pack, a quick cup of joe and a mountain house, but when I started trying to cook sheep meat or stuff like this it came up short. My dragon fly has saved my life on 2 occations and I will not leave the road without it. Just my 2 cents.

Steve

Default Tents

I used the MSR muthahubba, http://www.msrcorp.com/tents/muthahubba.asp
    about the same weight as the fusion, but the extra room plus the storage on each end saved us. It rained the entire 8 days and our gear stayed dry plus we each had our own exit. Easy to setup and breaths very well. A small tent can get really small if you have to stay it for an extented time waiting for the weather to break. My buddy had a mountaion hardware single wall tent, very expensive and I have to say that thing had so much water dripping from the roof, it was like being outside, plus the water would pool under you and get you wet from the bottom as well. I'm sure it is a great tent in the right conditions. We did not have the right conditions. Here is a photo of that tent.
    Steve

if i'm gone for more than two days i always take a back up stove, i carry teh jetboil and use that almost exclusivly but i also carry the pocketrocket by msr, runs on the same fuel as the JB so i dont' have to carry more than one fuel...
    and the pocket rockets has flame, which is multi purpose...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

ive got a question on the jet boil.. can you use the 1 liter mug/pot with another stove? im sure it wouldnt lock on or store inside but it seems like it could be done...maybe with one of those little folding butane stoves..

JetBoil makes an accessory "stabilizer" for the fuel canister and a pot support for larger pots that attaches to the burner. With this setup you can use larger pots and pans. Note however that the advantage of the heat exchanger on the bottom of the JetBoil cup is lost, so the stove is no more efficient than any other canister stove in this setup.

I've used an MSR XGK for years. In fact I have two, and use them a lot. I've never had a problem of any sort, so I wouldn't think twice about taking only one stove. I prefer having a multi-fuel stove. Personally I would never consider a butane stove. Well, unless I took more than one.

Here's a peek at what's coming from MSR.

http://www.msrcorp.com/stoves/reactor.htm

Default jetboil

Thanks for all the advice. The main thing I was trying to say was to check out those 2 web sites as they have alot of good info on cooking backpacking foods. Quick ,no dirty dishes, water left over on some dishes if you boil food in bags,and lite weight. It seems ALOT of people are using jet boils and other Isobutane/Propane stoves and lanterns. I think they would be the ticket for early fall hunts. It also looks like MSR is coming out with a new stove the Reactor.
    I said I was leaving my dragonfly, I meant I was leaving it at base camp and will have 2 stoves for the trip.
    It's amazing how much gear I fella aquires over the years. I counted my stoves tonight I have 16, probably not as many as alot of you die hards. Pretty crazy. Some were inhereted. old colemans stainless tanks, seva and primus from sweden, a zebco propane etc etc...

I use my XGK in camp and if I carry any stove it's an Esbit tablet stove that rides in my survival gear. Lightweight and reliable, about the weight and size of a deck of cards. The tablets are great fire starters if you happen to be where there's wood.