Thread: Manual water bailers?

Default Manual water bailers?

hi all......I was wondering what manual bailer/pumping system you guys use?...canadian boating regs say i need one to be legal. inaddition to a bucket!....suggestions?......thanks larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=10626

I carry one of these in addition to the almost 4000 gph in electric and the bucket
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Manual Bailer = bucket
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

2 each 5 Gallon Buckets. Sorry, Not trying to be a smart *ss. I can't imagine anything else that would manually bail water faster than buckets. If you can get on step, pull your plug or open your fish hold drain.

I have a can I use to get every drop I can out before using a sponge. Water comes in and goes in the bilge in a storm no matter what boat you have because of your vents, or it comes in w/ your wet raingear. Regardless I like to swab any moisture I can out of my bilge when i get to town. Did I mention I made sure the holding capacity of my bailer was a little larger than my bladder

cut the bottom out of a 1 gal. clorex jug or weson oil. works great and doubles as a funnel

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Water comes in and goes in the bilge in a storm no matter what boat you have because of your vents, or it comes in w/ your wet raingear.
    Really, not in my boat. It stays bone dry. The vent for the bilge us up under the gunnel and is baffled, so it would be a pretty good trick to get in there.

Larry,

I agree with AlaskaMutt on the West Marine manual pump, although I have never even tried mine.

An another note, a more useful tool to have is this:

http://www.alloymarine.com/index/suckup.htm

I keep two of these on the boat. One to change the oil, and the other is for water, such as the fish holds. If you want to get every drop of water out of somewhere, this is an efficient way to do it.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Really, not in my boat. It stays bone dry. The vent for the bilge us up under the gunnel and is baffled, so it would be a pretty good trick to get in there.
    You should run out Egg Island bar on a stiff SE, or from Softuk to Cordova in the ocean on a stiff westerly and see if its bone dry. I've found Sea glaze windows can't contain a breaker i've had one curl over me side ways and my new Diamond Seaglaze windows peed like a 10 year old boy. Maybe Diamond SeaGlaze windows suck because I had them leak in my other boat that was built in 2000 as well, but only in fierce conditions. I went w/ the heavy duty Diamond Seaglaze door w/ the heavy duty dogs...ahem take a breaker over the boat, same results leaked w/ the velocity of a 10 y/o lad hopped up on too much koolaide. What kind of windows and door do you have that are so water tight? Oh I also have majorly oversized vents I have over 900hp in my engine room that needs tons of air

Everyone here missed the part where he said "in addition to a bucket"
    Apparently Canadian Regs are different than ours.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    In addition to a bucket is another bucket, Aye.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post

thank you alaskan!!....yes, i guess once a boat reaches 8 meters lenght a bucket is not any good any more??!...here are the rest of the saflety items for the size of "Pez Gordo!"......thanks for the link of the bailer,,,,looks lke a winner!....next on the list are flares/fire extinguishers/bouy etc!...can you guys look at the list and make some suggestions on the rest?...as always --- thanks!! larry

Vessels over 8m but not over 12m

Personal Protective Equipment:

• One Government of Canada (Department of Transport) approved personal flotation device (PFD) or a life jacket for small vessels of appropriate size for each person on board
    • One buoyant heaving line of not less than 15m in length
    • One approved life buoys with an outside diameter of 610 mm or 762 mm that is attached to a buoyant line of not less than 15m in length
    • a re-boarding device if the freeboard of the vessel is greater than 0.5

Boat Safety Equipment:

• An anchor with not less than 30m of cable, rope or chain in any combination
    • One bailer
    • One manual water pump fitted with or accompanied by sufficient hose to enable a person using the pump to pump water from the bilge of the vessel over the side of the vessel
    • One Class 10BC fire extinguisher, if the pleasure craft is a power driven vessel, plus another class 10BC fire extinguisher if the pleasure craft is equipped with a fuel burning cooking, heating or refrigerating appliance
    Distress Equipment:

• a watertight flashlight
    • 12 Canadian approved flares of Type A, B, C, or D (not more than 6 can be Class D)
    You are exempt from carrying pyrotechnic distress signals if:
    • operating in a river, canal or lake in which it can at no time be more than one mile from shore OR
    • engaged in an official competition or in final preparation for an official competition and has no sleeping arrangements.
    Navigation Equipment:

• a sound signaling device or a sound signaling appliance
    • navigation lights that meet the applicable standards set out in the Collision Regulations

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    In addition to a bucket is another bucket, Aye.
    dont you mean eh?

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    thank you alaskan!!....yes, i guess once a boat reaches 8 meters lenght a bucket is not any good any more??!...here are the rest of the saflety items for the size of "Pez Gordo!"......thanks for the link of the bailer,,,,looks lke a winner!....next on the list are flares/fire extinguishers/bouy etc!...can you guys look at the list and make some suggestions on the rest?...as always --- thanks!! larry

[
    Merci Beacoup pour la lecon sur la securite des bateaux mon amis, aye! I appoligize for not using the proper punctuation. My keyboard fails me. I scratch my head on the statement that if a boat is over 26.24 feet that a bucket serves no purpose. I can think of many including bailing water.

would a whale pump meet the criteria for a manual bailer? My new boat has one installed as well as 2 electric bilge pumps. The thing I like about the whale pump is it is permanently mounted so if you need to use it you don't have to dig it out or mess with hoses, you just grab the handle and start pumping
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    would a whale pump meet the criteria for a manual bailer? My new boat has one installed as well as 2 electric bilge pumps. The thing I like about the whale pump is it is permanently mounted so if you need to use it you don't have to dig it out or mess with hoses, you just grab the handle and start pumping
    yes, i would think those would work..a little over kill for me tho,,,,,thanks for the link! larry

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Merci Beacoup pour la lecon sur la securite des bateaux mon amis, aye! I appoligize for not using the proper punctuation. My keyboard fails me. I scratch my head on the statement that if a boat is over 26.24 feet that a bucket serves no purpose. I can think of many including bailing water.

hey chico....you know alot more french than i do!!!.....yes, i read somewhere to carry a galvanized buck for bailer and double as a smoke signal device---pour in the oil and let it burn!!......i think i will get one of the manulas from west marine and have a look at the suck up device Jim has!!..thanks again larry

bcariverhunter,

Here are some more options for manual pumps:

http://www.beckson.com/tmpumps.html

We carry the 136 series on our boat as it allows me to reach down into compartments with hatches.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    hey chico....you know alot more french than i do!!!.....yes, i read somewhere to carry a galvanized buck for bailer and double as a smoke signal device---pour in the oil and let it burn!!......i think i will get one of the manulas from west marine and have a look at the suck up device Jim has!!..thanks again larry
    BCRH
    The oil in the bucket is not a bad idea! Good pointer. Not tickled about an open flame on the boat, but carefully done, might be a great distress signal. Hard not to notice Black Smoke. I also am gonna look at that pump to suck up my fish hold for when I make long trips or don't pull out every night. I hate having fish slime and blood in a fish hold when not nessessary. I failed to mention, I carry several chamois cloths for soaking up water and wiping down foggy windows. Had fun with the few pokes. You took it well. I grew up speaking Acadian French, read it pretty well, but suck at grammer and punctuation.

I'm glad you mentioned the "suckup". I have been on the fence and was wondering how well they worked. You must be happy if you have two of them.

Bob