Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Another Rookie Question from AIC.

  1. #1
    Member AlaskaIsCold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Anchorage/UAA
    Posts
    144

    Arrow Another Rookie Question from AIC.

    Hiya!

    So I know its -really- early to start thinking about Silver salmon on the Kenai Pennsula. But I was wondering about the timing of silvers in the kenai tributaries (Like Quartz and Cooper Creek) Every where I seem to look its pretty much all about kings in the kenai and reds in the russian. I sometimes hear something about dolly varden but thats about it. Does anybody know when they start to come in? I'm Pretty sure im gonna go with an ESL pattern or a Dolly Lama.

    A second question is about Ressurection Creek (That goes though hope) Ive been there a few times over the last three years and I always see tonnes of pinks (the place is known for them) But are there other salmon species as well? Like silvers or Chum ? Ive never fished up river of the bridge before, can anybody give me some intel (hopefully pictures?) on how the river is up there?

    Thanks!

    --AIC
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

  2. #2
    Member Raptor_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Silvers show in the upper river in August and September. I catch a lot of them by Jim's landing while chasing bows and dollies.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    1,590

    Default

    Be SURE you check the regs before fishing for silvers in the trib streams (Quartz or Cooper). I don't believe salmon fishing is allowed in either.
    Resurection Creek does get some silvers & chum. Chums will be present with the pinks, but are vastly outnumbered by the pinks. I think all the Turnigan streams (Bird, Galcier, Portage, Ingram, Six Mile & Resurection) get all 3 species. Of course, some also get reds & kings, too.

  4. #4
    Member danattherock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,608

    Default

    Just rent a raft from Max (Alaskacanoe) and float the middle for silvers. Pay Max to shuttle you. Catch fish, drink beer, catch fish, drink beer, etc... Couldn't be simpler.


    http://www.alaskacanoetrips.com/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

  5. #5
    Premium Member Wyo2AK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Spenard
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Just rent a raft from Max (Alaskacanoe) and float the middle for silvers. Pay Max to shuttle you. Catch fish, drink beer, catch fish, drink beer, etc... Couldn't be simpler.


    http://www.alaskacanoetrips.com/
    That's some sound advice.

    As Gary said - all the Kenai Lake tributaries (like Quartz Creek) are closed to salmon fishing. As I've heard and read about it - after they put the hydro project on Cooper Creek it pretty much wiped out the salmon runs.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

  6. #6
    Member AKnook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Be SURE you check the regs before fishing for silvers in the trib streams (Quartz or Cooper). I don't believe salmon fishing is allowed in either.
    Resurection Creek does get some silvers & chum. Chums will be present with the pinks, but are vastly outnumbered by the pinks. I think all the Turnigan streams (Bird, Galcier, Portage, Ingram, Six Mile & Resurection) get all 3 species. Of course, some also get reds & kings, too.
    I have fished Bird creek a bunch of times and have only caught pinks. I did hook into a pretty nice sized blushed king once. Pretty surprised. can't fish for them there so a quick realease was it. Pretty cool to see one in there though.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    1,590

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKnook View Post
    I have fished Bird creek a bunch of times and have only caught pinks. I did hook into a pretty nice sized blushed king once. Pretty surprised. can't fish for them there so a quick realease was it. Pretty cool to see one in there though.
    Yeah, I think the regs were recently "adjusted" to not allow fishing when the kings were going through. Even though "king" fishing was already prohibited, there were a few folks that fished for dollies that were catching kings. From what I understand, there were too many "dollie" fishermen for the small run of kings there.
    As a side note - I've often wondered what a person could catch in June fishing in Turnigan at the mouth of Rabbit Creek.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •