Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Field Food Ideas???

Default Field Food Ideas???

Want to get some fresh ideas on what folks like to eat while out enjoying our great state. Please no MREs suggestions I ate those for over 20 years while in the Army and for 3 months straight while in Iraq and don't want to see another. Mountain House are great, but I like to cook and enjoy making some good food after a hard day hunting. Nothing warms you up like a good meal. Here are a few things that I have found that work good for me.

Lipton green tea to go and the same thing in a variety of flavors. I like flavor in my water and found that I drink more if I use these. Plus they are sugar free and in small foil packets that are easy to carry. You can heat the water and pour into a Nalgeen bottle and use it to warm you up as well, like a hot water bottle.

Precooked bacon.. Uhhmmm Bacon. The stuff last forever and taste great, high energy.

Flour tortillas, pack flat and easier to carry than bread.

Instant Grits or Oatmeal depends if you are from the North or if Yall are from the South. I can eat grits every meal. From the south by the way.

I took 5 lbs of real potatoes and some stick Crisco, Man fried potatoes and moose backstrap. Don't get much better. Worth the weight. Put the above in a tortilla and you have a moose burrito.

Cliff brand 20gram protein bars in peanut butter. Quick energy while you are moving and grooving.

PB&Y on pilot bread. Spam, the new ones in the single serve foil pack.
    Anyways you get the idea, lets hear what you guys and gals like to eat while on the trail.

Steve

Default The forbiden dougnut....

Lipton pasta or rice packets and some canned meat of your choice. Extra crunchy peanut butter and tortilla's...or just the pb and a spoon Love Peanut butter!!
    Hunt not with a gun big enough for what you are hunting, hunt with a gun big enough for what may be hunting you!

I like spice changes and volume in camp food. Lots of varieties of dehydrate hamburger helper, and ua grautin potato type dishes on the convenience aisle at the market. Heck, there's even cajun. If boiling water is no problem, most of these work well with a little added moose or whatever while giving you lots of variety.

Dried fruits are great, and for deserts and breakfast you can go back to what our parents used to do in the good old days: Stewed fruit. Apricots, prunes and raisins top my list whether raw or stewed with a little sugar and a handful of dried tapioca for thickener.

On the trail don't forget your John Wayne sandwiches: Pilot bread with peanut butter or cheese. For celebrations do both at once.

Lloyds makes some precooked BBQ ribs single rack, you can get them at carrs and so on, i take those on about every trip, heat and eat...and yummmmy gives ya some bones to eat for hours after words too...there great!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default sheep food

You obvisouly pack different depending on what you hunt.
    Stove top stuffing and cous cous for sheep hunting. Great flavor.
    Bagels are also good for sandwiches on other hunters. Filling and better than bread.

We just make our own dried meals. Put them in the drying oven, vaccume seal and add water over a slow simmer. Only thing that I have found that does not reconstitute is shrimp. Jim

The frozen potatoes that are cubed are great. Buy the huge bags at Freds. They act a little like freezer packs in the cooler and they pretty much go with anything. Always have to have my eggs! Pancakes are good too. Cream of mushroom soup, ground moose, cubed potatoes, and some Tabasco make one hell of a dinner.

Default Making me hungry.

Is it hunting season yet. might have to try the frozen tater thing, I knew you guys knew some tricks. Mushroom soup, taters and fresh moose. My mouths watering thinking about it. Just raise the old bug next and eat. Tried to eat my bug net about a dozen time last year. Has hard to drink through too. LOL

Steve

We have a rule we always have to take meat we harvested during our last hunt.
    More good choices are stuffing mix where you only add water. Dried flavored noodles, much cheaper than mountain house and taste far better with the same amount of prep time.
    Buy the thick bacon and pre cook it your self before leaving home. And plently of cans of buttermilk biscuits. They cook up beautifuly in a pan on low heat covered.
    Tennessee

Default hunting food

Depends on if I'm packing or on the 4 wheeler. Most of the time I only have what I can carry on my back, so I go as light as possible. Basically, anything dehydrated. Also instant soups, beans and rice, oatmeal, etc. I also carry a small jar of spices to cook up fresh meat in camp. I have them pre-mixed in the one shaker.....garlic powder, lemon pepper, and hickory smoke salt. If I'm using the 4 wheeler, I always take potatoes, spam, and a frying pan. Sometimes eggs, too. I always have my whisper lite stove. If I'm on the wheeler I also take a Coleman gas stove.

Default Simple Meals

A simple filling meal can be made using the rice that comes in mesh bags. Just boil water, toss the bags in and in 5 minutes the rice is ready. We pour any thick meaty canned stew or soup over the rice for a heary meal that is easy to make.

Default This is getting good

Never thought of canned biscuits, I too carry the plastic spice container that has many spices in it. I pop off the top and fill it with the spices I like and get rid of the ones I don't. I to pack for the type of hunt, Even sheep hunting I like to take some good food and leave it at base camp if the hunt permits. I don't have the back I once did thanks to ole uncle Sam, so most of my hunts are drop off or fly-in. Keep it coming guys some great ideas so far, what else can we do outside right now??? I also like to take a small flask with a swig or two of an adult beverage, to celebrate the harvest if I'm so luckly. Just a shot each, not talking about drinking and shooting here. Just a shot to celebrate a great time spent in beautiful country with good friends.

Steve

Wink Stid/grill

Did you pack that rebar grill up the mountain?lol Got any meat left, looks good.

Default Using what you find.

Found it laying around, part of an old mining camp. Found a ammo can with some blasting caps as well. Looked like they had been there as long as the mountain. Those sheep back straps were gooooood. Is it Aug Yet???

If you like omelets in the morning and are able to boil water the easiest way to make one, at camp or home, is to premix the ingredients in a vacuseal bag and seal it with a little air. Boil the sealed bag and presto, perfect omelet with little mess.
    Chris Willhoite

If weight isn't an issue one of our favorite camp staples is paunice. You have to make it ahead, but is it ever a good with eggs as an alternative to meat and bread with breakfast.

It's basically cornmeal, flour, ground meat and seasonings pressed into a loaf pan. You slice it about as thick as bread and brown it in a skillet with butter.

We make it from almost any meat, though pork is the original. Cut the bones so the marrow can come out, then simmer it in minimal water with seasonings. Steaming works good too, though it takes longer. When the meat will come off the bone, course grind it and add it along with the marrow to the cornmeal and flour mix. I don't know of anything better with a couple of fried eggs on top.

Man, I'm getting hungry even thinking about it. Guess what's going to be for lunch in a few minutes!

Default Nols

On last year's moose hunt my partner brought along the NOLS cookbook and we made a bunch of the recipes in there, including pizza. I'll never go in the backcountry without it again. Far superior to freeze-dried or MREs.
    http://www.nols.edu/store/product.ph...2&cat=0&page=1

Thumbs up Bag it

We premake meals and seal it in vacuum bags. Freeze it and then just boil water. Heat the meal up right in the bag. All you have to do is cut it open and dish it out. Tastes great. Easy and no dishes to wash. When you're done, you've got hot water to use for something else.

We've had meals stay frozen for more than a week. No need to haul ice in the cooler for other cold items.

We used it with Stew, Chicken and rice, chili....you get the idea.

Tortillas are the way to go too! El Pato tomato sauce comes in a small can, tastes wonderful. Works great as a hot sauce for those breakfast burittos.

Default Bear Creek

The Bear Creek soups are very good and pack light. I especially like the potatoe soup they have. Just add water and simmer.

Default ramen..

Certainly not for a whole meal, but if you're out and need something real light to carry along, just crush it in the bag, pour in the seasoning, shake it up, and eat it straight. It's not a favorite, but it's filling and gets us through lots of short trips away from camp.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast