Thread: Cricket a good 3 season youth 22lr rifle but not in winter!

Default Cricket a good 3 season youth 22lr rifle but not in winter!

I took my son out for some target practice with his cricket .22lr rifle this weekend with the temperature around zero. He received the rifle last spring for his birthday. From spring to fall he fired around 2,500 rounds. The rifle never misfired, is accurate, right sized for a youth, light and easy to carry. He is now a safe and accurate shooter with the maturity to handle a rifle in the field. I like the fact that the rifle is a single shot.
    Even with all these positive reasons I would not buy another Cricket rifle for use in Alaska for one reason alone. It does not have a feed ramp and you must place the cartridge in the chamber with your fingers. In the spring, summer and fall this is not a problem but in winter it is way too cold for bare hands on a metal gun. 20+ years in Alaska I should have known better and the temperature was only 0 not -40!

Quote Originally Posted by herebychoice View Post
    I took my son out for some target practice with his cricket .22lr rifle this weekend with the temperature around zero. He received the rifle last spring for his birthday. From spring to fall he fired around 2,500 rounds. The rifle never misfired, is accurate, right sized for a youth, light and easy to carry. He is now a safe and accurate shooter with the maturity to handle a rifle in the field. I like the fact that the rifle is a single shot.
    Even with all these positive reasons I would not buy another Cricket rifle for use in Alaska for one reason alone. It does not have a feed ramp and you must place the cartridge in the chamber with your fingers. In the spring, summer and fall this is not a problem but in winter it is way too cold for bare hands on a metal gun. 20+ years in Alaska I should have known better and the temperature was only 0 not -40!
    Well you and your son are both tougher than I. My bare fingers quit working somewhere arouind +15!