View Poll Results: What is Snowshoeing?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blazing a new trail and post holing?

13 46.43%
  • Being on a packed trail whether it's a hiking or snowmachine trail?

0 0%
  • Both?

14 50.00%
  • Neither?

1 3.57%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snowshoeing Debate

Default Snowshoeing Debate

Okay... my husband and I are having a debate about snowshoeing. He doesn't agree with my definition of what I believe that snowshoeing is. He doesn't agree with agreeing to disagree, so he encouraged me to post this and see where we go with this.

I'll tell you where this is derived from, though.
    I took the kids out snowshoeing today from our house into North Pole.
    We decided to take the snowmachine trail into town and back. He asked if we went on the slough and I told him no because there was overflow. He then said that it wasn't called snowshoeing.

So... what is snowshoeing?
    Is it where you shoe and post hole to blaze a new trail?
    Is it where you are on a packed trail that is of snow?
    Is it both?
    Is it neither?
    Clear it up for us so that we can get on with this... that he just isn't right and that's that.
    Lurker.

Gosh, CO, did you ever solve the dilema of "should he go or should he stay"... and now it's snow shoeing?
    To me snow shoeing is where you need the contraptions just to stay on top. Otherwise you'd end up in the snow to your middle. If you are on a packed trail, why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Gosh, CO, did you ever solve the dilema of "should he go or should he stay"... and now it's snow shoeing?
    To me snow shoeing is where you need the contraptions just to stay on top. Otherwise you'd end up in the snow to your middle. If you are on a packed trail, why bother?

LOL!! I think that 'Should he stay or should he go' resolved itself. He's going.

This particular debate is between my husband and myself.
    You voted the way that I voted, but it sounds as if you agree with him, though. He thinks that snowshoeing should only be off the beaten than and if it's not, then what's the point.
    Well... I think that it's both. It can be on the path and it can be off the path. Um... I did a snowshoe race and that as on a path that was already all packed down.
    I think it's either.
    He thinks it's blazing a new trail.
    Lurker.

If you have snowshoes on your feet and you're walking on them, it's called snowshoeing. The terrain under your feet has no bearing on it. End of debate.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    If you have snowshoes on your feet and you're walking on them, it's called snowshoeing. The terrain under your feet has no bearing on it. End of debate.
    pretty much, that said if you are wearing snowshoes on a packed surface you should be laughed at heartily.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    It pains me to agree with JOAT, and I only do so as it is 1:50AM, NOTE: if confronted by a reporter I would say, "I Miss'spoke".

If I have them on going from point "A" to point "B" its only gona be natural to take the easy route. If I'm doing ten miles and I can make that trip easier on myself by hitting the river ice or a trail or two, I'm doing it. No matter what ya call it.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    It pains me to agree with JOAT
    If you did it more often, you too could be Right!
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

If the trail is packed, what is the point of the snowshoes? I get a good chuckle out of folks wearing their snowshoes on the windblown mountain behind my house while I climb it in hiking boots. Snowshoes are great for staying on top of loose, unconsolidated snow...but for a packed trail? I just don't see the point.

I thought that there was going to be a distintive line on this.
    Funny.
    I think that it has fueled this debate.
    Lurker.

Snowshoeing on a packed trail is akin to snorkeling in a bathtub. Technically you're snorkeling, in reality....Your posing as a snorkeler....

Websters sums it up..

1snow·shoe noun \-ˌshü\
    Definition of SNOWSHOE

: a usually lightweight platform for the foot that is designed to enable a person to walk on soft snow without sinking.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Snowshoes are great for staying on top of loose, unconsolidated snow...but for a packed trail? I just don't see the point.
    trails that are hard packed in the morning may result in boot postholing by mid day.

someone breaking trail with snowshoes for a long while, upon arriving back at a packed trail, they will probably take it.

one might head up a packed trail for a mile or several, planning to branch off into deep snow to bird or rabbit or bear hunt, or take photographs or just romp around.

someone might own snowshoes but no crampons so they like the grip on a packed trail even though they don't need the flotation.

is it safe to assume a trail is hard packed for as far and as long as someone wants to walk?

how did that trail get so smoothly packed anyways? did someone put a sign at the bottom decreeing the trail officially 'Packed' and banning further use of snowshoes for all the dangerous chuckles they may cause?

the people you see on the packed trail with snowshoes, may just be trying to give you a chuckle. maybe thank them next time.

if you're wearing snowshoes and doing something , you're snowshoeing. one would think this would be fairly self-evident.

what's in the water in north pole these days anyways?

...and the debate goes on.
    We are discussing this again, right now.
    I wished we could just agree to disagree on this.
    I've snowshoed here and in Colorado. I've had official snowshoe partners in the past. I've snowshoe raced.
    I am not winning this battle, but I am not going to agree with my husband.
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    trails that are hard packed in the morning may result in boot postholing by mid day.

someone breaking trail with snowshoes for a long while, upon arriving back at a packed trail, they will probably take it.

one might head up a packed trail for a mile or several, planning to branch off into deep snow to bird or rabbit or bear hunt, or take photographs or just romp around.

someone might own snowshoes but no crampons so they like the grip on a packed trail even though they don't need the flotation.

is it safe to assume a trail is hard packed for as far and as long as someone wants to walk?

how did that trail get so smoothly packed anyways? did someone put a sign at the bottom decreeing the trail officially 'Packed' and banning further use of snowshoes for all the dangerous chuckles they may cause?

the people you see on the packed trail with snowshoes, may just be trying to give you a chuckle. maybe thank them next time.

if you're wearing snowshoes and doing something , you're snowshoeing. one would think this would be fairly self-evident.

what's in the water in north pole these days anyways?
    I wasn't trying to be rude, just stating the way I view the usefulness of snowshoes. And when I chuckle at such folks, it's not mean-spirited...just seems odd and it makes me smile. As for a few of your questions, being as I was referring to a very specific mountain trail...there are no pockets of deep snow up there right now (and rarely are beyond a certain point), the trail gets packed both by frequent wind and by many hikers each day, yes it is safe to assume that the trail is packed as far as they want to go (with the exception of the rare hiker that might be starting there for a more than 5 mile alpine hike in winter), I didn't make any suggestions about "banning" anything but rather said that it makes me chuckle (which, in general, I find laughter to be a good thing), and postholing in late afternoon heat generally isn't an issue for the majority of the winter or in an area where the average snow depth due to frequent winds is about 6 inches.

sorry if some of my sarcasm wasn't more obvious.

so if your wearing snowshoes and there is no snow are you snowshoeing?

I saw a couple walking down the plowed walking trails at UAA in snowshoes. I got a good chuckle at that, along with a few other native Alaskans. Go back to California stupid hippies!
    If it's easier to walk without snowshoes, do it! They are heavy and awkward, only a yuppie would need snowshoes for anything other than breaking trail in deep snow, or digging a snow cave.

Oh grief. I am absolutely not going to relent on this debate.

Snowshoeing is snowshoeing. Packed trail or blazing a new one.

I am not giving up on this one to my husband. He *thinks* he's right about everything else, but he's not right about this one.
    Lurker.

If I go to the airport and rent a plane then spend an hour taxiing around the ramp before parking it can I really say I went "flying"?

This is the most ridiculous debate I think I've seen on this forum... Nice work! Here's my definition:

Snowshoeing: Something I don't get to do as often as I would like, namely because I spend too much time at the office at 5:00 am working :-)
    My signature is awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast