Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Bear Fence

Default Electric Bear Fence

How many of you actually own them and do you use them on every hunt? How many have actually had a bear in camp? Just wondering if I should think about getting/using one.
    Hunt not with a gun big enough for what you are hunting, hunt with a gun big enough for what may be hunting you!

Default Fence

I have one and use it often, not always able to find a spot to set it up while float hunting. I have 2 friends that had their camp rolled by bears this last season and both will be buying a fence. You can build one cheap, or buy a ready made for about 250 bucks. Add up how much your gear cost. My tent was almost 500 by itself. Everyone I know that has had bear trouble was while they were out hunting and not while they were in camp. If you are on a float hunt and they chew up your raft, well you are up @#it creek. Mine gave me 250 bucks worth of peace of mind knowing that my safe warm place to sleep was there when I got back, and I did sleep better with it. Just my 2 cents. Fences have been talked about alot on this forum do a search and read some of the older threads. Well worth it to me. Here is a picture of my moose float camp.

Steve

Default Bear Fence

I have the UDAP model. $250. Looks like Steve in the previous post has the same fence. I seriously considered building my own at have the price but it would have been 20lbs vs 3.5lbs. So I paid more for lightness. Fence works great as far as I know, despite heavy bear sign around our camp and in the general area on Afognak this past October, no problems in our camp. It was worth the peace of mind. However, I did get attacked less the 100 yds outside of the fence, so once you step over the wire, you're back to square one. Now if they only made a portable one, kinda like the shower costume Daniel-san uses in the Karate Kid...lol

Default Story time....

Quote Originally Posted by ucohokie View Post
    I have the UDAP model. $250. Looks like Steve in the previous post has the same fence. I seriously considered building my own at have the price but it would have been 20lbs vs 3.5lbs. So I paid more for lightness. Fence works great as far as I know, despite heavy bear sign around our camp and in the general area on Afognak this past October, no problems in our camp. It was worth the peace of mind. However, I did get attacked less the 100 yds outside of the fence, so once you step over the wire, you're back to square one. Now if they only made a portable one, kinda like the shower costume Daniel-san uses in the Karate Kid...lol
    Ok ucohokie, now I need to hear your attack story! Thanks for the info, I've looked at the UDAP fences! That site is no joke!!!
    Hunt not with a gun big enough for what you are hunting, hunt with a gun big enough for what may be hunting you!

Default Build your own

The charger is the main peice. I have seen one that uses AA batteries, the polywire can be bought by the foot and is cheap. The poles can be bought at garden stores, wire tie, zip ties can be used as insulators. I would buy a electric fence tester, most feed stores have them. Let me tell you why they don't get near that thing, it will put you on your knees. Come on, come clean I know you just had to grab it. The tester cost 15 bucks and solves the who has to grab the fence to see if it working thing. Ucohokie you touched it didn't you, I know you did. It is an UDAP, but after using it I know I could put the parts together. We talked about this during the fall and I remember someone saying that they sell the chargers and wire at a place in Palmer. I'm sure it is in the old thread.
    Hey Ucohokie, I bet a cattle prod would work if you had the stones to use it, I don't. But I have used them on some mean bulls and they hit the trail, and even pissed themselves while in the trailers. The tester is worth the money, making sure you got a good ground is about the trickiest part.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    The charger is the main peice. I have seen one that uses AA batteries, the polywire can be bought by the foot and is cheap. The poles can be bought at garden stores, wire tie, zip ties can be used as insulators. I would buy a electric fence tester, most feed stores have them. Let me tell you why they don't get near that thing, it will put you on your knees. Come on, come clean I know you just had to grab it. The tester cost 15 bucks and solves the who has to grab the fence to see if it working thing. Ucohokie you touched it didn't you, I know you did. It is an UDAP, but after using it I know I could put the parts together. We talked about this during the fall and I remember someone saying that they sell the chargers and wire at a place in Palmer. I'm sure it is in the old thread.
    Hey Ucohokie, I bet a cattle prod would work if you had the stones to use it, I don't. But I have used them on some mean bulls and they hit the trail, and even pissed themselves while in the trailers. The tester is worth the money, making sure you got a good ground is about the trickiest part.

Steve
    Thanks Steve,

That was in an old thread I read it last night, I can't get to palmer anytime soon though...don't have the money for the plane ticket. I did find a backpacker kit at http://www.waterstrider.com/bear-rep...tric-fence.htm for $150! Seems reasonable, I saw that in the old tread someone had used that very charger too. Just wondering if there's people out there that say their for the birds. I know one person who has that idea...he's a crazy ol' bird though! Thanks for the input!

I took one and used it on the Peninsula and as some who remember my story we had a large sow with 2 year olds that we had problems with. We found their tracks in the sand not 5 yards from our camp but obviously they didn't mess with us while we slept. Worth the piece of mind to me if you are going to be around and amongst them. My big concern was them destroying our camp and being there on the Peninsula without adequate structure or food.We used the one sold in Palmer.

Default travel

can you take those on commercial aircraft? any restrictions?

Default food in camp??

Stid2677 do I see you're sleeping and eating in that picture? Eating next to your sleeping but both surrounded by the fence?
    Bruce

Bruce its a lot easier to eat near camp than to hike or ride to an eating location. <grins>

Default Never by the Sleeping area.

No we ate by the meat pole. That tarp was just to sit under and stay out of the rain. I always set up a cooking tarp. I hate being stuck in the tent all day, as a matter of fact I shot a bou while sittiing under that tarp while my buddy was out looking for one. The cooler is the seat that he used in the raft and for somewhat dry storage. No food ever been in it. I trust the fence enough to cook behind it, but why push your luck. No do overs if you get it wrong.

Default Airlines

I would give them a call, but the charger don't have any hazmat and only uses 2 D batteries. I'm sure you have to have in in your checked bag, hell you can't even have tooth paste in your carry on anymore. What is the world coming to???

Steve

Talking Hell yeah we touched it!

The UDAP uses a portable charger common in the ranching business. That's all these fences are, portable livestock fences, so the chargers pulse to prevent battery draining and "touch shock paralysis" to the animal (so they don't stick to the fence). I think the pulse rate is about 30 pulses/second on the bear fence. So grab it, if you have boots on, it's not that bad, but will give you an idea of what is protecting you - and it's limitations.

If you're feeling manly or taking dares - take your boots off, then touch the fence - get the bear's perspective on it.

If you're feeling really manly (or stupid or drunk pick any two in combination) - put on your dog's shock collar and try to walk through the invisible fence around your yard - those collars don't pulse.

Default Plane Travel

It's not a taser. Throw it checked baggage, there is no problem.

Default Woops no spark!

Im all about the bear fence, great idea. Now that being said, how many of you guys actually know how to check them to see if they are working in the field or not? Cub mentioned how ours gave us piece of mind on the penninsula. It was placebo effect for the first few days. After three days of secure comfort we discovered that ours wasnt even working. You farmers now how critical a GOOD GROUND is to this fence. With out ground its a pretty white fence that looks kick A## in a picture. We ended up running 4 strands with the + and - ribbon a couple of inches apart so if a bear rubs up aginst the two, they get bit. Its all you can do in poor conductive soil. Dont think it is a simple as the one around your cow lot. You wont have a 6' copper rod in the field with you. Also yes you can build a fence yourself, but I have to say that the factory kits are really nice. The poles are better suited for the field too. Also I dont remember seeing small battery powered units at Alaska feed. The most important thing, Sombody has to test it once its put up in the field. A "INSULATED" tent stake from one ribbon to another will do. Whatever you think, just test it. If it dont spark its wasted weight.

Default Get a tester

I'll take your word about the boots, I almost pissed my pants with my boots on. But I had to try it. My buddy tried it in the crotch, turn it off if you are short. You can figure it out, just about messed up my fence. LOL.
    Steve

Default Dog Collar

Quote Originally Posted by ucohokie View Post
    If you're feeling really manly (or stupid or drunk pick any two in combination) - put on your dog's shock collar and try to walk through the invisible fence around your yard - those collars don't pulse.

I tried that dog collar one one time! It was a push button shocker though...not to bad...as long as your intoxicated. Oh, yeah Laugh it up... you've never done anything dumb while drinking!?

Default Jim is Right

The ground is the tricky part. Most feed stores sell a small tester that shows how much zap the fence is producing. I just made it part of the kit. Here is a link I have the Five-light Voltage Reader. Or just have who ever don't buy the fence grab it. My vote is the tester. The novelty wore off the first time I grabbed it. They are used by the parks service in Montana and do work very well. Did alott od research before I got mine. Very light and you can buy more poly wire and protect all your gear.

http://electric-deer-fence.com/elect...ters/index.htm

Default ?

Can you used multiple grounds from extra tent stakes if you get out there and find you are not getting a good charge??

Default Grounding

Yea you can use as many grounds as you like and another trick is to keep the soil around the rods wet as in pour water around the rods everyday. Or you can use the negative wire positive wire thing. I just keep mine wet and use the tester to verify voltage. Hope this helps.

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast