Thread: Winchester 375 H&H unfired brass too short???

Default Winchester 375 H&H unfired brass too short???

I sat down at the bench to reload some 375H&H for my Sako and I measured My once fired brass from the rifle and noted that it was .002 longer than SAAMI specs. I usually size my brass down to about .002 less than the fired brass for hunting ammo, so I measured some new unfired Winchester 375H&H brass and found it to be .017 shorter than SAMMI spec.

I have never seen new brass this much shorter than SAAMI specs, I'm sure once it is fired it will stretch to fit the chamber.

Has anyone else seen this??? Thoughts????

Thanks in advance.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have seen short new brass a couple of times and if it was on a case with a short neck like 300WM it would bother me some. The 375H&H has a fairly long neck so I wouldn't be to concerned. It's just going to grow as you use it. You may end up never having to trim it.

Thanks for the reply, I was sure it would fireform, I'm just thinking that the first firing will lack some accuracy.
    Founding Member

You're fine, I've seen it a several times. I have a new box of Nosler 300 RUM brass that is .020 shorter than SAAMI. A typical production chamber has more room than a custom match chamber and it will allow the body and shoulder area to grow when fired. After fire formed you can expect the neck to grow for typical reasons.

Thank you the info guys, I know that you need to fireform brass and use once fired for best accuracy. I have had short brass, just not that short.

You guys rock, now I just need a 375 bushing for my case trimmer,,, I always forget something. I know I will come home from the manstore with more than a 5 dollar bushing too.

Steve
    Founding Member

I will say .017 is not inconsequential! Jeez, must have been a monday morning batch. WW brass will do that though. I would mark the headstamp with a Sharpie so you can "watch it". I have been loading for many years and only had a headspace problem with a 375 H&H after multiple re-loads. Saw that telltale bright brass circle about 1/2" up from the belt.