Thread: Remington 750 autoloader anyone?

Question Remington 750 autoloader anyone?

Just saw a Remington 750 in 35 Whelen, does anyone use em on bear or moose up there? How dependable are they? Thanks!

I acquired one in a trade and played around with it for a little while. The magazine that mine came with wasn't any good and would puke the bullets out instead of cycleing one at a time. I replaced it with a new factory magazine and it ran like a top. It was very accurate with 250gr speer JSP. I didn't load it up too heavy, but at 2400fps it was accurate and very reliable. The only thing I didn't like about it was that there was no way to quietly load a round. Since I don't normally travel or walk around with a loaded chamber this was kind of a pain in the butt.

Quote Originally Posted by THE_HUNTERIAM View Post
    Just saw a Remington 750 in 35 Whelen, does anyone use em on bear or moose up there? How dependable are they? Thanks!
    As far as the 750 goes....I think Remington finally got the bugs worked out of their auto loaders. They have made a little more progress everytime they reintroduce the same auto loader with a few up grades and a different number assigned to it!

A guy that I hunt coyotes with uses one in a 243! It rattles around behind the truck seat uncased during the week and kills everything it shoots at on the weekends. If they can survive the abuse that Woody dishes out then they must be pretty tough!

I have the 750 "whale gun". It shot the 200gr corlocks great right out of the box. I did not want to shoot that small of a bullet and loaded some 225gr partitions. I had to mess with the seating depth a bit to get them to cycle correctly. The gun also did not like the bullets run too fast, or it cycled poorly (typical of autoloaders). I have 4 magazines for it, only 2 of them work. The others are flawless. The aftermarket ones are junk. The old 742 magazines work too (I have one from the 1960's). I have put about 100 rounds through mine and it does fine. I like the feel of the rifle and it is fun to shoot. I don't think I would do the dangerous game thing with it, I don't trust it that much. That is what the 375 Ruger is for.

I have not shot it at any game yet, but will be taking with me during a buddies moose hunt I am tagging along on, just in case we see a black bear or some back-up is needed. I am looking into an elk hunt with my brother in OR. It is a real brushy short range kind of hunt and would be perfect for this type of gun. I found mine cheap online, they are not flying off the shelves, so you should be able to find a deal. Good luck.

I guess I's a slow learner but I have bought 3 Rem 750 in 35 Whelen over the past 2 years. The 1st two I returned to the dealers because they jammed: failures to eject, failure to feed, etc. I thought the 3rd time would be a charm. Wrong! It too was a jam-o-matic, so I sent it back to the factory. It came back with rust where there was no rust when sent it in, and the trigger group was filled with goop. It still jammed. Neither factory ammo nor reloads worked. It's now in the hands of a competent gunsmith.

I still like the feel of the gun, the caliber and its looks but...