Thread: Harding Lake Pike Question

Default Harding Lake Pike Question

If while out Lake Trout fishing on the ice in a 140ft of water and one was to accidently catch a Pike would it be wrong to take a picture before releasing the fish. Reg does not state you cannot remove the fish from the water before releasing.

dont the regs say somthing about returning them to the water immediatly? i guess its in how you take those words

are you telling on yourself in the form of a question? :P

If I unintentionally caught a pike while ice fishing at Harding Lake for char, I would probably get a quick pic of the fish before I released it. This should open a debate.

The Reg reads:

HARDINGLAKE
    Only 1 single-hook or 1 single-hook, artificial lure may be used.
    Set lines may not be used.
    Burbot: Daily bag and possession limit is 2 fish, no size limit.
    Lake trout: Daily bag and possession limit is 1 fish, which must be 30" or longer.
    Northern pike: Harding Lake is closed year-round to fishing for northern pike. This includes catch-and-release, spearing, and bow and arrow fishing.
    Arctic char/Dolly Varden: Daily bag and possession limit is 10 fish, only one 18" or longer.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Me personally, about this specific issue I would not post any photos on the forum or even mention any type similar event about accidental pike catches at Harding, whether it happens or not. Ron what are you thinking, trying to start a revolution? riot?

what is the offical reason for no pike fishing out there anyway? everywhere else it would seem they are trying to eliminate them

From my understanding Pike were quite abundant in that lake many years ago then something happened to the lake level and part of the habitat was lost and the numbers went way down. That is about all I know.

I remember that the water was way higher 20 years ago or so...it was pretty near the campground if I remember correctly. So there were a lot of shallow weed filled areas on that end of the lake that are now gone. I remember someone saying that a family of beavers had dammed up an inflow to the lake, but some UAF literature seems to debunk this, noting that the lake is mainly fed by seepage from the surrounding landscape.

http://www2.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF1/184.html

Also, apparently there has been some work done to restore water levels...news to me, I'm guessing it's not had much effect if you guys are talking about low water levels...

http://www.alaskaconservationdistric...ifeHabitat.htm

Maybe someone else can chime in and provide some additional info....
    Last edited by Dr.No; 03-16-2011 at 21:31. Reason: the forum edit what the beavers did

I would have to give you mad props for catching a pike in 140' of water!!!

The water depth was 140ft but the fish was marked around 50ft. I guess he was just cruising.

hey there. im pretty current on the uaf litt as i am a bio student there. the lake is fed primarily by one small run off stream that seemed insignificant until a landowner rerouted it so it would not flow through his property. over the course of 10 years it dried up quite a bit. the stream has been restored and the lake should fill up again in about 10 years( so long as global warming does not dry the interior drastically). hope this clears things up a bit

adf&g regulations state that any fish intended to be released should not be removed from the water

Quote Originally Posted by EMMETT View Post
    adf&g regulations state that any fish intended to be released should not be removed from the water
    I have said this to numurous people...Alot of people think if they take a quick photo then release the fish its ok but it's still ILLEGAL.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

Quote Originally Posted by Albradley View Post
    I have said this to numurous people...Alot of people think if they take a quick photo then release the fish its ok but it's still ILLEGAL.
    I disagree.

The words "should" and "will" have 2 very different meanings to me. People may read into the ambiguity of the word "should". Tell me what page of the regulation you reference this from. Sounds like the portion of the statement came from the catch and release suggested information listed in regulations.

When ADF&G does not want you to remove fish form the water, it will Specifcally state "Will not be removed from the water"

I already copied what the reg reads word for word about Harding Lake. I believe the intent of the regulation is for people not to target pike and have no retention. If you incidentaly catch a pike will ice fishing in 40 feet of water for lake trout at harding lake, and take a picture before you release the fish, I do not think that is illegal.

IMHO I just would not post the picture on this forum to avoid speculation and the rants.

hey jedi. yes i took that from the catch and release recomendations. its not illegal as far as i know. it does however increase the mortality rate of said species. that point could be argued though. the only thing that will truly protect the future of harding lake pike is a return of previous lake levels. tight lines

regardless of pictures, how big was it? I would imagine it was pretty big...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    regardless of pictures, how big was it? I would imagine it was pretty big...
    How big was what? LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    How big was what? LMAO
    Ahhh, you just couldn't help yourself, could you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    Ahhh, you just couldn't help yourself, could you?
    You sir have a great sense of humor! Will surely look you up again if I make it back to Juneau.