Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: electric halibut reel

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    2

    Default electric halibut reel

    I'm looking for suggestions for an electric halibut reel for my wife. She has R.A., and a reel of this sort would be of a great help to her.

  2. #2
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    My wife uses the Diawa Seaborg 500 as she has a medical issue that limits her use of conventional reels as well. The Seaborg 500 is plenty of reel for halibut fishing. It will wench up a 20-30 pound halibut with no problems. Larger than that require her to pump the rod as well as use the electric switch to pull up the line as you would a conventional reel without the cranking arm work out. She loves the reel. Bait checks are no effort at all. 300 feet is less than one minute. You can use the battery pack but its costly and fragile. We just use the powercord it came with and plug it into a scotty down rigger plug and she fishes one side of the boat. She could go to the other side but its a tight cord and gets in everyones way. You can reel it without power like a conventional reel. The reel is in Japanese and hard to find in english. I bought hers three years ago at the sportsmans show for 549.00 I believe. They normally run 600 bucks. There have been several threads on this in the past that you could do a search on. A happy wife is a happy wife. Hope this helps.

    5249.jpg

  3. #3

    Default

    Hello

    I have two of the Diawa 750MT and they have brought 80-120 pound halibut with no problem. Wait until the Sportsmans show and the prices will be a little better.

    Later
    Moose

  4. #4
    New member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Coffman Cove ,AK
    Posts
    4

    Default

    I have Shimano 4000 HP and love it.

    It makes bait checking a fast easy thing to do often.

    It takes a little to get used to using it. Practice with new to you electric reel before going out fishing.

    I bought mine used on E-bay for $300 plus $54.00 freight Express from Japan. It came loaded with nearly new80 lb Spectra line.

    For the purpose it works very well.

    Regards to all Doug

  5. #5
    Supporting Member Old John's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Michael
    I've been out of the game going on 11 yrs now, so I'm not "up to date" on some of these things... Used to see a lot of adds for Electric motors attached to I believe a Penn 114 (4/o reel)... I know several Charter operators in the Homer area had a few of these for their clients... and it seems all the marine supply outfits (catalog and on-line) advertised these electric reels... maybe start by asking Penn what they have available.../John

  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Amen to the happy wife thing! Better that than the alternative. Thanks much for the info. I like the idea of being able to plug into the scotty outrigger power source.
    Regards,
    Mike

  7. #7
    Member killer instinct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    273

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    My wife uses the Diawa Seaborg 500 as she has a medical issue that limits her use of conventional reels as well. The Seaborg 500 is plenty of reel for halibut fishing. It will wench up a 20-30 pound halibut with no problems. Larger than that require her to pump the rod as well as use the electric switch to pull up the line as you would a conventional reel without the cranking arm work out. She loves the reel. Bait checks are no effort at all. 300 feet is less than one minute. You can use the battery pack but its costly and fragile. We just use the powercord it came with and plug it into a scotty down rigger plug and she fishes one side of the boat. She could go to the other side but its a tight cord and gets in everyones way. You can reel it without power like a conventional reel. The reel is in Japanese and hard to find in english. I bought hers three years ago at the sportsmans show for 549.00 I believe. They normally run 600 bucks. There have been several threads on this in the past that you could do a search on. A happy wife is a happy wife. Hope this helps.

    5249.jpg
    +1 .... I have this one due to wrist surgery a year ago. Works great! We also didn't buy the battery pack - the hubby made our own ($60) and we can also plugged it in the downrigger port. We bought ours at B&J Commercial and they also put line on it for us. If your military, they give a discount.....

  8. #8

    Default

    sEA borg 500 buy a cigarette lighter plug in and use a battery pack as your power sorce have used it for 5 day trips with no problems. Shell like it so much YOULL get one too..

  9. #9
    Member captaindd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Salcha, AK
    Posts
    762

    Default

    I have Myia Epoch 700dt/800dt and a couple of electrical mates with 114 reels. The Epochs are commercial grade and are kind of heavy but they can pull up 200lb plus fish with no problem. Down side is there is no handle so reel does all the work.

  10. #10
    Member polardds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    801

    Default

    Whatever happened to our State trying to pass a law on the electric reels? I thought they limited the reel and rod setup to no more than 15 lbs?

  11. #11
    Member chico99645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    1,481

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Whatever happened to our State trying to pass a law on the electric reels? I thought they limited the reel and rod setup to no more than 15 lbs?
    Maybe because it's a stupid proposal. Its like an agruement between traditional bow hunters and compound bow users. Its a Purist issue IMO. To each their own. The end result is the same.

  12. #12
    Member captaindd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Salcha, AK
    Posts
    762

    Default

    I think the 15 pound rule was one of the fish board proposals for South East that the board turned down. The reason for the proposal was to keep sport fishing from catching Black Cod.

  13. #13
    Member Cliffhanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Homer, Alaska, USA
    Posts
    732

    Default

    A former boss once told me:

    Happy Wife=Happy Life!

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Estacada,OR
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Garner View Post
    I'm looking for suggestions for an electric halibut reel for my wife. She has R.A., and a reel of this sort would be of a great help to her.
    I have a Penn electric hooked to a penn 340GTI , A 200 pounder won't slow it down.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    104

    Default

    I bought the wife a Diawa Seaborg 500 for Christmas so she hasn't used it yet. I think I'll power it up by using a scotty plug. I can't decide if I should buy a rechargable battery pack or the cartridge. Any ideas or suggestions?

  16. #16
    New member Sockeye Salm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    190

    Default

    I bought 2 of the Daiwa Mega Twin Seaborg 1000 last spring. I put 3600' of 60 lb Tuf-Line - Guides Choice line on them. bought it and had it rigged at B&J's. It's a new model and Tom had to order it. He was so impressed he got a couple more. I put the Scotty plug on it, and just plug into the outlet on the boat. I've gotten a couple of 50 lb Halibut with them, with no problems. I really got them with Black Cod and Shortrakers in mind, but so far haven't gotten any. I've fished as deep as 250 fathom, or 1500' deep with no problems. I use a 3, 4 or 5 lb. sinkers. I'm going to do a lot more exploring this summer. Brian has given me a couple suggestions on where to try. I get a kick out of fishing that deep, where few sport-fishermen have ventured. Never know what I might catch. The reel has an adjustable auto shut off, so just turn it on and leave it alone for about a minute and a half or so and you're at the surface.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •