Thread: More places in Anchorage now carrying 9.3x62

Default More places in Anchorage now carrying 9.3x62

Just wanted to pass along the word that Great Northern Guns now carries 9.3.

They have the Hornady 286 grain
    Nosler custom Ammunition (250 gr. Accubond, and the 286 Partition)
    I think they even had a Federal load too.

Wild West Guns was the only folks in town who carried ammo last year.

I hounded Great Northern a good while to carry ammo for a rifle they sold me, maybe others did too.

I picked up a couple boxes of that Nosler Custom Partition that was listed as 2450 FPS.

I was buying Lapua from Wild West but that load was only pushing about 2200 FPS and I felt that more could be achieved than that mild load. The Nosler Custom uses Norma brass, and comes in a nice plastic box. It's only about 15 dollars more than Lapua Megas. The Hornady load was really good priced, I think only $40 but don't quote me when you go in there.

I'm happy for you! I will go sacrifice a goat in your honor... Soon carrs wil have it as well..

I'm suprised that GNG didn't carry 9.3x62, I've seen 9.3x64 there. Frank told me that they carry limited amounts of European calibers for hunters who make it over the North Pole.

Right now they have some 9.3x62 unfired brass, saw it Saturday.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

don't forget Boondocks as well. More of the same. No goat sacrifice required.

anyone have the PRI loaded ammo in 9.3X62?

Hornady as agreed to manufacture ammo in several older and European calibers for rifles Ruger chambers or promises to chamber. The 405 Winchester, 450/400, 450 and 470 N. E., the 9.3 x 74, and a few others to include the 9.3x62. All very well received by those few of us who shoot those. I have some of Rugers No. 1 rifles in the N.E calibers. The Hornady ammo is good and their brass is among the very best available today. Certainly worth the price. Good call!!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Hornaday seems to favor making ammo for Ruger rifles. The old Mauser chambering deserves to make a come-back. It offers good performance and power at moderate recoil in quality firearms.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Lothar Walther list M1 Garand barrels in 9.3X62, how cool is that?

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Hornaday seems to favor making ammo for Ruger rifles. The old Mauser chambering deserves to make a come-back. It offers good performance and power at moderate recoil in quality firearms.
    True true. For most rifles, it's relatively close to a 375 H&H, but with five in the magazine. Purdy handy when you walk around with an unloaded chamber.

I was buying Lapua from Wild West but that load was only pushing about 2200 FPS and I felt that more could be achieved than that mild load.
    I talked (or made a lot of hand signs and "please repeat") to one of the Lapua Engineers at SHOT. I'm a big fan of their stuff and asked them specifically about the velocity figures of the 9.3 with the Mega and their 200 grain 30-06 loads which we sell the hell out of.

The bottom line if I understand garbled Finn English is that their velocities are designed for optimum expansion/penetration with that particular bullet, both on Moose and Kudu. FWIW. Didnt know there were Kudu in Lapland.....

Every bullet is a specific velocity lover

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    I talked (or made a lot of hand signs and "please repeat") to one of the Lapua Engineers at SHOT. I'm a big fan of their stuff and asked them specifically about the velocity figures of the 9.3 with the Mega and their 200 grain 30-06 loads which we sell the hell out of.

The bottom line if I understand garbled Finn English is that their velocities are designed for optimum expansion/penetration with that particular bullet, both on Moose and Kudu. FWIW. Didnt know there were Kudu in Lapland.....

Every bullet is a specific velocity lover
    In my limited experience with these Lapau Megas, they haven't expanded for me on black bear. They just zip right through. I'm sure they'll be darned good on moose though. I'm hoping that going back to the good ole tried and true partition may allow for more reliable expansion on a game animal thinner than moose. I don't understand why no expansion occurred, is the lead they are made of have more hardness than normal bullets? They sure are tough bullets, that's for sure.

I think the old 9.3x62 might be making something of a comeback as well... noticed its now chambered in Ruger's African Hawkeye- which should do nothing to hurt its popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Hornady as agreed to manufacture ammo in several older and European calibers for rifles Ruger chambers or promises to chamber. The 405 Winchester, 450/400, 450 and 470 N. E., the 9.3 x 74, and a few others to include the 9.3x62. All very well received by those few of us who shoot those. I have some of Rugers No. 1 rifles in the N.E calibers. The Hornady ammo is good and their brass is among the very best available today. Certainly worth the price. Good call!!
    I checked out the Hornady website today and found a little video from them regarding their new loading they offer.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I think the old 9.3x62 might be making something of a comeback as well... noticed its now chambered in Ruger's African Hawkeye- which should do nothing to hurt its popularity.
    So does Tikka and Steyr !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

The 9.3x62 is a fine cartridge, but I gotta wonder why a nonreloader would get a rifle that is that hard to find ammo for. I shoot a 358N, but I don't expect to find ammo just any where.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    The 9.3x62 is a fine cartridge, but I gotta wonder why a nonreloader would get a rifle that is that hard to find ammo for. I shoot a 358N, but I don't expect to find ammo just any where.
    I had half of my reloading equipment stolen from my storage shed a while back. I've slowly replaced some of it, but not nearly to the extent of the equipment I used to own. I had a 500 ct. of 9.3x62 graf and son brass, and a ton of speer 270 grain hot cor bullets along with what was stolen. The other half of my equipment was not stolen because it was in a rubbermaid tote that was less accessible. My Redding and Forrester dies have since been replaced with standard RCBS or Lee dies, and I'll have to pick up a single stage press to replace my redding and forester presses that were stolen. Doesn't hurt to pass along the word that ammo is available for those who just want to pick up a box of factory ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    I guess some people like me and others on this site just like to think/shoot outside the box. Heck I've got rifles that have NO commercial ammo loaded for them. I had a 338-06 and 35 Whelen before they became commercially available.

Best way to get 9.3x62 is to buy a case. If/when it ends up a group buy in so to speak by an individual transference --- just be honest with gun-store owners and it likely helps somewhat to be a frequenter or good customer.

When you buy a full case make 100% darn sure in advance verifying the purchase (the particular loadings you want). Might be a deposit or a pay full in advance. Work with them.

Does three things:
    1.) generally savings buying in quantity
    2.) shipment that nobody has to stock, handle, or see shelf - life in inventory
    3.) your deposit or full pay exhibits customer trust and something to work with, so in turn often extra customer services beyond the sales floor.

Once cases and boxes are in hand... all good on however/whomever shoots 'er up, reloads, or hoards it.... either way having it on hand, policing your fired brass, whatever further enters into the ultimate savings over time on loads like 9.3x62 is worth trying to get by the case.