Thread: Flying Windy Pass from FBKS to Talkeetna

Default Flying Windy Pass from FBKS to Talkeetna

For those who have made this trip what advice to give? I have about 300 hours here in Tanana area but not too sure about flying through that pass. I've approached it a few times with very bad air. I seen planes fly right above the road at times. Or do I climb and fly it about 7,500 and hope at that height not to get kicked around.

Thanks,

GS

If its blowing, you will likely do better up high. Not always of course. The middle of the pass is not normally as rough as the entrance and exit. I just plan on getting kicked around at some point there. Seems a reasonable expectation.

Doesn't ALL wind come from Healy? I think I learned that in aviation weather class.

Default windy

I usually go through in the summer time and am limited by the ceiling. It's bumpy. If it's a nice clear day, I'd climb. Just remember if you're going direct VFR that the weather will usually change as you get closer to Talkeetna. It can be a safer bet sometimes to maintain contact with the road. It comes down to experience, comfort level, equipment, etc. Also, if you're flying the pass, experiment with altitude a bit so that you can find the most favorable winds. Have fun.

I flew out of Healy for three summer seasons. They don't call it "Windy Pass" for nothing. Having said that it really isn't all that bad. When you plan your trip look at the weather charts for a strong pressure difference between the south side and the north side of the range. You can look at the weather from the AWOS at the McKinley Park strip but another resource is the DOT cameras and wind meters at Antler Creek (just south of Healy) and Cantwell.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/iways/roa...electForm.html

That will give you an idea of what is going on on both sides of the pass.

I never had any wind related incidents that made me think the outcome of the flight was in doubt, nor did I ever have to divert because the turbulence was too bad to fly through, nor was I ever unable to land at Healy because of the wind. There was multiple times that I canceled flights out of Healy because of the wind as well as times that I came back, landed and said I'm not going through the pass again today.

If I were you I would plan well on your flight through the pass but don't avoid it because if it's reputation. If it's windy just secure all the loose items in the plane, cinch down your seat belts and slow down to maneuvering speed. I'll bet you a jelly doughnut after you go through you'll say "That wasn't bad at all!".

If you want to fly IFR (I Follow Road) Windy is fine but if you look at a few sectionals ... it is more direct to dial up Talkeetna in Fairbanks and go through an area called Broad Pass, north to south. Lower terrian, easier route, open tundra, not too many emergency landing areas .... just a thought

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    If you want to fly IFR (I Follow Road) Windy is fine but if you look at a few sectionals ... it is more direct to dial up Talkeetna in Fairbanks and go through an area called Broad Pass, north to south. Lower terrian, easier route, open tundra, not too many emergency landing areas .... just a thought

I think you should look at the map again you have to get through Windy to get to broad I think?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    ?????????????

What mit said.

And the same road runs through broad........