Thread: Float trip recommendation

Default Float trip recommendation

I would like to do a float trip with my daughter next year and would like some recommendations on guides. Here are some of the things I have been considering.

1. My daughter will only be 13, she is use to the outdoors and fishes,hunts, camps and with me already. Need a guide who is understanding of that.
    2. Some of the rivers I've thought of are Goodnews, Togiak, Aniak, Mulchatna
    3. Looking at a 7 +/- day trip
    4. End of Aug first week of Sept.
    5. Fairly easy float, I don't know how much portaging she could do.
    6. Enough fish to tire a kid out
    7. Rainbows/Silvers does not matter

Those rivers aren't the only ones I'd consider just the ones I could think of. I've only hunted AK many times, I've never done a float trip or fished AK. Hope that is not a too confining wish list. I don't care if it is a independant guide or out of a lodge. Thanks Art

Check your email Art.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Drifting on the Fly with Scott Sager. He has taken me and my 3 kids on a float trip ranging in ages 9 to 19 years old several times. All on the fly rod. Scott will work with the kids on their casting as well as get them into fish. He specializes in custom trips. You tell him what you want and he will put something together for you.

www.driftingonthefly.com

looks like you are well on your way with those options, I floated one of those rivers when I was 11, it changed my life.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

AK I'll tell you what changed my life was flying out of Dillingham in 91/92 on a Grumman Goose, Pilot name was Lester when we landed on Nishlik lk. I thought the plane was becoming a submarine fell in love with AK right thier.

Default Foster that spark...

Quote Originally Posted by Artd View Post
    I would like to do a float trip with my daughter next year and would like some recommendations on guides. Here are some of the things I have been considering.

1. My daughter will only be 13, she is use to the outdoors and fishes,hunts, camps and with me already. Need a guide who is understanding of that.
    2. Some of the rivers I've thought of are Goodnews, Togiak, Aniak, Mulchatna
    3. Looking at a 7 +/- day trip
    4. End of Aug first week of Sept.
    5. Fairly easy float, I don't know how much portaging she could do.
    6. Enough fish to tire a kid out
    7. Rainbows/Silvers does not matter

Those rivers aren't the only ones I'd consider just the ones I could think of. I've only hunted AK many times, I've never done a float trip or fished AK. Hope that is not a too confining wish list. I don't care if it is a independant guide or out of a lodge. Thanks Art
    Greetings Artd,
    A lodge-based trip on those rivers seems to me your best bet to satisfy your appetite for western AK and your daughter's young age.

Things I'd personally be cautious about:
    1. Wading too deep. Nothing scares kids or grownups outdoors worse than finding themselves overwhelmed. Workload, physical discomfort are the usual culprits, but an honest life threatening situation can occur - which will not help your case to go on another trip with your daughter. Remember your goal (I presume) is a safe trip, reasonably comfortable and interesting (fish, wildlife, new places, adventure) enough that your daughter will want to make another trip - thus building a lifetime of excellent memories.
    2. Ignoring the learning curve: These are premier rivers, but remote. Most on these forums I think will advise you approach these remote rivers stepwise - insuring your gear, skills and judgment are up to the challenge. On my family's first 2 float trips, it hailed on day#1 then rained everyday, then we had gale force winds on day#1 then rain nearly everyday. Learning how to stay dry, securely pitch your tents/tarps, leave bears enough walkway on gravel bars and how to get dry once your clothing/gear gets wet - are IMO critical to having your daughter/family return for future trips. I found too that planning/logistics took time - studying maps - knowing locations where air evac could be accomplished if needed for instance, was all vital foundation for confidence that we could handle most contingencies.
    I like your priorities ("enough fish") though. You also might find Grayling worthwhile - they can often be had on nearly every cast.

To my thinking, either start small (day floats, local/road access rivers), or go with ample support. A lodge based trip will offer the best support structure - guides, a place to warm up/get dry if weather inclement, and the least work (meal planning, gear shipping, safety and emergency considerations). These approaches give you (and your daughter) a toe in the water, maximize potential for enjoyment. Rain happens: I cannot emphasize enough the importance of keeping dry or getting dry (a heated tent was my very best investment for family trips/comfort. That is one priority I suggest you include on your trip performance criteria.

If you're inclined to try a closer option, my family has had excellent experiences with Blue Moose Rafting in Fairbanks. BMR offers different rate schedules for parties willing to do some of the work. On our initial trips with BMR, we brought some of our own gear and/or meals. BMR provided rafts, guides and main camp gear. Those trips gave us the confidence to try some trips on our own, purchase a used raft and finally try our own DIY flyout - which was great.

Your daughter is lucky to have a Dad who encourages and aids her interest in the outdoors. Not enough kids do it seems these days. Please feel free to contact any of the forum members who respond to your thread. I know they'll be more than happy to assist in any way they can. Good luck.

Indiana, only because that's where the check came from...

Artd, since you're not receiving private messages send me an email at ekberger@comcast.net and I'll send you some helpful information.

Regards,

Eric

Goodnews. Has only one lodge, so fewer jets and then on the lower ~1/3 only. Should be minimal portaging/dragging required that time of year, unless it's been really dry and then it's mainly at the very top. Has a million charr to tire your kid out, and some schools of big ones, as well as bows (mainly higher up in the braids) and silvers (down low mainly), and grayling. Pretty scenery.

guides usually do it in a week; I did it unguided with a map and GPS, ~8-9 days, a more relaxed pace. up to you.

Hi Artd,
    If your daughter is already used to outdoors the goodnews should be perfect. Still, other kids on the trip probably would be an asset. My daughter is 14 and we are planning the Tikchik this summer from Nishlik to Koliganek (first time as a family trip - without guide).
    Gernod

Thanks for the replies.

http://goodnewsriver.com/

7 day trips top quality tents (arctic ovens), best gear available. If you contact 'em tell Paul Hippie referred you, that may a price break.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Hey Hippie! Nice however last time I posted something like that they got a price increase! I guess maybe it's just me!

Hope you have a great summer!