Thread: Trailer brakes

Default Trailer brakes

I didnt see a trailer forum so I thought I would ask here. I have a bayliner 2556 and it weighs around 8500 lbs the trailer originally had surge style breaks but they no longer work and the tubing is not good anymore and would need to be replaced. So I dont like towing this thing around too much without having a breaking system on it and I want to put a set of breaks on it. I am thinking of going electric but dont really know much about trailer breaking systems. Is electric the way to go or will the salt water eat them up too fast also how hard is it to install electric breaks or should I just rebuild the surge breaks on the trailer.
    Thanks

Tony

you will want to stick with surge brakes i have the same boat and more thank likly trailer and i redid the whole breaking system few years ago not all that hard to do. if you need a hand i will help ya i am in soldotna i have a heated shop you could pull your boat into to do the breaks on it. it is more money but you could do a electric over hyro system best of both worlds not a whole lot more money

Man I hate it when my trailer breaks!

Thanks for the offer RMK I may have to take you up on that I wont really be home till the middle of April I was planning on taking the boat to homer and mooring it there so I can take the trailer home and work on it with the boat out of the way. I need to buy the parts to do it first though.
    I am assuming that Six states will have what I need or at least could order it.
    Nice looking boat you got there I have been really happy with mine but I have only had it a year so far. I am hoping to hit the shrimp as soon as I get back home from work then Vacation

on that weight boat surge brakes are not allowed into canada. it may be a problem someday.

Do the electric over hydraulic you will not regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Do the electric over hydraulic you will not regret it.
    I totally agree. And now is the time to do it.

Where around would have something like that and what kind of cost would that be to do the electric over hydraulic vs the electric or surge type. I am out at work right now and dont even know what size of breaks I have so I have been looking on the internet at prices and it seems like its a lot cheaper than I thought it would be. But I could be looking at the wrong ones or missing a lot of pieces

If you decide to go with the serge breaks they are so simple to do. I did mine this last summer. Three main things to buy are the Actuator(hitch), break line kit, and the break pads with backer plates. The backer plates unbolt off the spindle and you bolt the new ones on then hook up the new break lines and then purge the lines by opening up the valve on the backer plates and pump the new Actuator until you get break fluid out. There are some small details that I left out but you get the idea. They are real simple.

Cheers
    Olin

I am going to convert my surge breaks to Ele/hydraulic and online it looks like it will take about $700 worth of parts to make the swap.. this includes everything to do the swap. I already have a break controller in my truck but that is something to consider if you don't have one.

Thank you, Tony, for asking this question, I have the same issue.
    Thanks to all for your replys.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Most times if you can remove the brake line off of your surge system, it will go right into the actuator or need a union and short piece of line. Not a to of a headache.

One hint if you do have to replace brakes lines, before you pull them out of the frame, attach a string to the old line especially if can not see the other end when you look down the tube.

I just bought a new axle and electric brakes from the local dexter dealer. He recommended electric brakes and said I wouldn't have any problems. When it showed up none of the brake parts was galvanized. As he looked into his mistake he found Dexter doesn't make galvanized electric brake drums or backing plates or even the hardware. I ended up painting everything with zink it. I'm hoping it will last a couple years as i don't go to the salt only a couple times a year.

Quote Originally Posted by f0zzy2 View Post
    I just bought a new axle and electric brakes from the local dexter dealer. He recommended electric brakes and said I wouldn't have any problems. When it showed up none of the brake parts was galvanized. As he looked into his mistake he found Dexter doesn't make galvanized electric brake drums or backing plates or even the hardware. I ended up painting everything with zink it. I'm hoping it will last a couple years as i don't go to the salt only a couple times a year.
    Fresh water you will ok for a while, saltwater will eat 'em up.....two pieces of advice ALWAYS and I do mean ALWAYS disconnect your trailer plug from the tow vehicle, last to help extend their life install a washdown system thru the backing plate that you can hook a hose too. Big problem is not being able to rinse at launch time.

Thanks for the pointers DS. I will for sure flush everything after heading to the salt

Kodiak Kid: Where did you find the best deal on parts and shipping? Four bolts on the backer plate and reattatch the lines sounds like the way to go. Did the backer plate already have the shoes and drum on it?
    "Ebbtide" 27 X 9 GlacierCraft
    MMSI#

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Fresh water you will ok for a while, saltwater will eat 'em up.....two pieces of advice ALWAYS and I do mean ALWAYS disconnect your trailer plug from the tow vehicle, last to help extend their life install a washdown system thru the backing plate that you can hook a hose too. Big problem is not being able to rinse at launch time.
    Is there a kit available for that washdown system?
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Dexter does have galvanized brakes.
    Electric/ hyd isn't worth the money for the actuator.
    4 bolt is 3500# axle. $50ish per backing plate
    5 bolt is 6&7000# axles. $70ish each.
    Backing plate refers to the entire brake, drum not included.
    Electric is better than surge in many ways. Corrosion in wire connections will be your only worry in salt.

Just my opinion.. I know nothing about boats but everything about trailers.. Cheers!
    Precision trailer inc. Purcell Oklahoma.