Thread: Lost my faith in round nose bullets for hunting.

Default Lost my faith in round nose bullets for hunting.

Was out lookin for some places to make some coyote sets, and I am always lokin for squirrels and grouse to shoot, only, I always have my own, home modified hollowpoints for shooting such things, one shot, one squirrel in the pot. one happy little boy. so I hear this squirrel so I went ot go find it, and last time i got bullets all the had was round nosed ones so I ended up taking 4 shots from the 22 (one nicked the spine right behind the shoulder, one went right through the lungs, one went right behind the ear, and one in the shoulder) and it was STILL running up the tree, so RAN back to the house and it took 2 12 GA shells (one shot at 20 yards, and one at 10 with NO 7 1/2 shot) and a thump on the head to end it... So I think tonight I'm gonna start modifying bullets or hunting....or start packing the 12 GA for incase I see some bears

Was it super squirrel or is it the bullets? I know exacially where my bullets hit and I can hit I pie plate at 100 yards (it is open sights) and upon skinning it I noticed that all but one should have proved fatal, i hit him once in hte gut when he was running at about 50 yards, but 3 chest shots and one head shot, that aught to kill about anything, shouldn't it?

4 shots with a 22 to kill a squirrel?

A head shot on a squirrel or rabbit with a .22 cal anything will do the trick. The absolute best way to improve performance on game is range time. Not trying to be a smart a#$ at all, but a squirrel is VERY easy to kill with a .22., I have killed hundreds of large gray squirrels in the lower 48 with sub sonic round nosed bullets, and air rifles, and they are twice as big as our lil buggers here.

No need for anything but accuracy to fix that.

I have had a squirrel take a couple shots from a air gun but never more than one from a 22. Not saying they all hit the ground DRT but they did all pretty much tumble to the ground on impact. I did encounter one super squirrel though. We were out hunting and decided to stay an extra day so we were strrrreetttching our food trying to make it last. We decided to add a tree rat to the ramen and set out looking for one with the .44 blackhawk. We found one sitting on a low branch trying to make like a tree. My cousin lined up and center punched it. I swear I saw daylight through it where he hit it. The darn thing went flipping out of the tree bounced once and then launched itself into a hole in the root mass never to be seen again. I have no doubt that it died there in short order but we never could figure a way to get it out. Even tried the forked stick twist method when we couldn't find it reaching in the hole all the way to my shoulder. So much for squirrel noodle soup

Was there any edible meat left on the squirrel to justify bringing it home? Haha.

Wow, crazy story. I've made poor shots on gray and fox squirrels in the past, ie through the guts or back end, and had them run. However, every time I connected in the head, neck or shoulders that was one dead squirrel! I prefer solid 40 grain ammo for small game hunting......especially squirrels. Hollow points do too much damage. But in your case, sounds like you might wanna try CCI Stingers, although there won't be a lot of that little old pine/red squirrel left!

Accuracy wasn't the problem (except the one through the gut) I can hit 22 shell most every shot at 20 yards or so, but this was super squirrel. I've never had one do that before....except the one I shot with my 32 special....but thats another story....

I was gonna get apic of it, but my dog got into my fur shed and ate ALL my fur and stuff...

Well, the only one I've shot here in AK succumbed to a single shot from my wife's Ruger LCR. I have found the CA grey squirrels to be rather tough critters though. It took about 8 shots with a 1000 fps. .177 cal pellet rifle to knock one of them suckers out of a scraggly old bull pine one day.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Were you south of the alaska range? It might have been an Alaskan Brown Skwerl - they eat fish and are much tougher than interior skwerls or so some say. You might want to goto a hard cast bullet in something bigger than say a .45 bullet. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Were you south of the alaska range? It might have been an Alaskan Brown Skwerl - they eat fish and are much tougher than interior skwerls or so some say. You might want to goto a hard cast bullet in something bigger than say a .45 bullet. Just sayin.
    Come again?

I shot 5 squirrels last week with my .17 mach 2. It does a nice job, not much chance they will walk away from it.

That's a crazy story FFG, I think Bullelkklr may be onto something tho, did you square the hide on that thing afterward ?
    get any skull measurements?

Maybe, ya got into one of those "Coastal" versions of skwerl

So, you nicked the spine behind the shoulder,...
    got a double lung shot in there,.....
    and one behind the ear,.....(just fur there, or is that thru the skull?)
    and busted him in the shoulder with #4,......

then two more with the 12 gauge, and you STILL, had to club him to death in the end ?????

I think that is just a super squirrel of some type,
    were you near any suspected drug labs maybe, y'kno a little extra amperage in his system ??

Cool Story
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    That's a crazy story FFG, I think Bullelkklr may be onto something tho, did you square the hide on that thing afterward ?
    get any skull measurements?

Maybe, ya got into one of those "Coastal" versions of skwerl

So, you nicked the spine behind the shoulder,...
    got a double lung shot in there,.....
    and one behind the ear,.....(just fur there, or is that thru the skull?)
    and busted him in the shoulder with #4,......

then two more with the 12 gauge, and you STILL, had to club him to death in the end ?????

I think that is just a super squirrel of some type,
    were you near any suspected drug labs maybe, y'kno a little extra amperage in his system ??

Cool Story
    I did run into a "lab" of some sorts about 4 miles away....

When I got back with the 12 GA (about 5 minutes later) I was expecting his to be dead in a tree some wheres, but he was still slowly climbing the tree, I brought it home for an autopsy, but when I brought it home for an autopsy, some folks came out, and I had to greet them, and you know how it is when little kids come out......anyway, that night the dogs got the body before I could take a picture.

the shot behind the ear wen in about half inch behind the ear on the left side, came out just in front of the ear on the right side.

Maybe he was like those bears you hear about that attack people, they can have thier heart blown out and a few rounds in the skull and still maul a guy.

Use 22 shorts or 22 flat nosed they seem to kill better on small game.