Thread: .44 "SPECIAL" Ammo Question...Light bullet...??

Default .44 "SPECIAL" Ammo Question...Light bullet...??

I am looking for factory loaded cartridges for the .44 "Special" with a light bullet, like 135 grains, slow/low velocity plinking/dinner cartridge. Can you point me in the correct direction...???

I've never heard of a factory load that light. I think at one time there were some 180's around, but I haven' seen them in a long time. Could be my lack of looking, though.

I'd just handload or hire someone to do it. There are custom handloading outfits here in the state, though I can't dredge them up. As for light, I've been real pleased with 240's at around 500 fps. That load shoots lower than heavy loads, and by quite a bit. As light as you're talking you might have to crank the rear sight way up, maybe even get a taller leaf or even shorten the front sight.

I figure to have a 2.5X fixed Leupold for the dinner meat detail, using a light load. I envision only putting on the scope for dinner acquisition. And walk'about with 300+ grain loads and no scope. http://ruger.com/products/rotaryMaga...eets/7408.html So I won't really care about the heavy defense loads point of impact, only the dinner makers.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I figure to have a 2.5X fixed Leupold for the dinner meat detail, using a light load. I envision only putting on the scope for dinner acquisition. And walk'about with 300+ grain loads and no scope. http://ruger.com/products/rotaryMaga...eets/7408.html So I won't really care about the heavy defense loads point of impact, only the dinner makers.
    I've used 240 SWC in 44 handguns for small game (squirrels & rabbits) and such. I loaded them with enough unique to get 700 fps and they proved dandy out to 25-30 yards. You may find that they work as well as lighter bullets and the heavier bullets are more accessible. Recoil in various 44 mag handguns was/is negligible; I can only suspect it would be all the better in your rifle.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Thanks........do you think they could be loaded safely at a lower fps.....?

Thanks........do you think they could be loaded safely at a lower fps.....?
    I've never pushed them slower on purpose, but I suspect that it can be achieved. However I do not think there would be any advantage to it.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I've never pushed them slower on purpose, but I suspect that it can be achieved. However I do not think there would be any advantage to it.
    They would be quieter. And the lighter the bullets the less weight 300 cartridges would weigh.

Trail Boss works really well with swaged or cast 240 gr sub sonics around 900 fps. 180's should work as well.

The good news is I was looking in my Midway USA catalog and found: Ten X Ammo makes a 200 gr. .44 Special that only clocks 627 FPS and they have a retailer in Anchorage. I'll start with these and see how loud they are. They should be sub-sonic.

The good news is I was looking in my Midway USA catalog and found: Ten X Ammo makes a 200 gr. .44 Special that only clocks 627 FPS and they have a retailer in Anchorage. I'll start with these and see how loud they are. They should be sub-sonic.
    Isn't sub-sonic anything under about 1050 fps? I know it depends on elevation but I was pretty sure anywhere in the 900's was sub-sonic.

JUst come by and get some 240s. we have cases now, pain to get