Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One more year for felt sole?

Default One more year for felt sole?

I have heard a rumor that the state is going to wait an other year before banning the felt sole waders. Anyone know, fact or fiction.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

The change was adopted to take effect on the 1st of January 2012. TU asked for 2011 but was to soon from the requested date.

Thanks, guess I have another year then before I have to spend more money.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Its time to ban TU from Alaska not felt soles

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Its time to ban TU from Alaska not felt soles
    Just remember, TU is a group of local fisherman who care about the resource. I am definitely on the fence about the felt soles but I know that TU does a lot of good. They have been extremely active in the Pebble mine issue.

the felt sole issue effect us locals but it is mainly intended to stop all the tourist from bringing something nasty up from the lower 48.

AK is not the only state to ban them, in fact I look for the majority of states to eventually ban them.

What sucks is, this ban is for fisherman only. It does not apply to hunters or more specifically duck hunters. We can't use felt soles, but the guy duck hunting upstream can. Stupid.............
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    What sucks is, this ban is for fisherman only. It does not apply to hunters or more specifically duck hunters. We can't use felt soles, but the guy duck hunting upstream can. Stupid.............

Really??????? Is that true?????? If so that is crap! What they should do is make it so customs takes the felt soled boots! So people don't bring crap into our streams!

are any manufacturers making a similar product that won't be banned and won't easily pick up the gunk? Or are we all going to rubber in 2012?
    Justin

Not that they do not come here to do it but I have never seen anyone come here to duck hunt but on the other hand I have seen thousands coming here to fish.

Most duck hunters don't use felt anyway.

That is because the rule was inacted by the Board of Fisheries who has no legal jurisdiction over hunting or other activities, nor should they.

Quote Originally Posted by akflyfisher View Post
    Not that they do not come here to do it but I have never seen anyone come here to duck hunt but on the other hand I have seen thousands coming here to fish.

Most duck hunters don't use felt anyway.
    You haven't been to Cordova.

I think the angling community should demand quality research to document the threat by felt soled waders and shoes. As a biologist with over 35 years of experience including definitive stream research on a similar fish disease (Ceratomyxa) I know of no circumstance where anglers have been identified or documented as a source of whirling disears or ceratomyxa. It has been documented repeatedly that they can and are carried by introduced fish stocks particularly those of hatchery origin. Fish eating birds have also been identified as a problem but I know of any research where this has been documented. What amplifies the issues with these diseases is habitat degredation including water diversions, temperature modification, bank erosion and loss of riparian habitat.
    If these diseases were so easily spread why are there viable and healthy fish populations downstream of infected reaches. Why would not the disease extend to the river mouths and ultimately the ocean? Anglers have fished streams where infected fish stocks occur for many years with felt soled boots. Why have there been no documented or even reported instances of spread of disease? While I have not conducted a definitive literature search what I have found would qualify in my opinion as somewhere between urban legends and old wives tales.
    This is a serious economic and safety issue and warrants quality peer reviewed research and definitive findings before such a drastic action is implemented.

I have personally instituted a ban of trout unlimited associates on my property. Let this serve as a warning they will be gut shot and dipped in a pool of ravenous trout

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

I am all for preventive measures to stop invasive species, but all of these organisms can inhabit other areas besides the felt sole. Those of us that wear boots know how much dirt, sand, algae, and mud gets inside the boot. So, my point is theoretically these invasive species could harbor in our boot laces, inside and outside of the boot material, in the insole etc.

If bird eating fish are part of the problem I say open season on seagulls on the Kenai.

Several of the major manufacturers of wading boots have felt alternatives. Chota has a set and Korkers with their "Kling-on" alternatives. The soles are refered to as "sticky rubber" through not to the touch. The reviews have been really good on the Korkers. They are significantly better than lug soles and close to felt. My fishing partner (57 years old) wore a set of Kling-ons last year and in his words, he did not notice a difference between them and his felts...encouraging....nuff said

I heard T.U. in conjunction w/ PETA, are pushing for legislation that 24 hrs prior to fishing the kenai anglers had to wax their knuckles and forearms and yes because of kenaibowfan, their palms. Apparently when releasing the coveted rainbow trout they were introducing trace amounts of testosterone and causing male pattern baldness in the river otters.

I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

They are not as worried about diseases, they are worried about the transportation of invasive species (e.g., New Zealand Mudsnails, zebra mussels and quagga mussels) or other viable biological material (including plant seeds, species eggs, and spores) that is transported into an ecosystem beyond its historic range, either intentionally or accidentally, and reproduces and spreads rapidly into new locations, causing economic or environmental harm.

I use simms bootfoot waders with felt. I bet that less stuff gets stuck on and transported on them than on a regular stockingfoot wader with waderboots with lugsole. It's not the equipment that is the problem but the persons using them. Banning felt soles isn't going to do squat. I do have a pair of sticky rubber wading boots and without studs they are pretty much useless. Actually can be dangerous for those that are not the most surefooted person. I personally am against the ban but will comply when the reg is in order.

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I heard T.U. in conjunction w/ PETA, are pushing for legislation that 24 hrs prior to fishing the kenai anglers had to wax their knuckles and forearms and yes because of kenaibowfan, their palms. Apparently when releasing the coveted rainbow trout they were introducing trace amounts of testosterone and causing male pattern baldness in the river otters.
    Oh we got jokes huh FB??????? LOL good one buddy. I'll see you and your coffee table on the river!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast