Thread: Thompson Pass Trails

Default Thompson Pass Trails

Planning a trip to Thompson pass and looking for information on any trial system and/or GPS files for a Garmin using Topo Map source. Also any info on Tazlina Lake, south on the Glenn Hwy would be great too.

Thanks in advance

Default more info

A little more detail about what your going to be doing and when your going to be there will get you more answers.
    Welcome aboard.

Default Got my ears on

I've never been down to the T-pass area either

So I'll gladly ditto any info you get here

Where to park?........which direction?.......types of riding? (trails powder himarking etc)

Whatever happened to those forum rides??

Default Thanks for the input

Brother's coming up for a week and I am plannning on a snow machining trip April. A few of us go every year and we are looking for a new area to explore and play. Been to the Lake Louise, Gunsite, Eureka, Petersville, Summit lake, Denali Highway, and Willow over the years. It is the winter road trip for us, average riders with common sense and good manners.

Default tips

First off, be careful if you go to Tazlina Lake funny things happening with the water. Tsina River vally would be my choice. Before you get to Worthington Glacier on the right. Lots of powder be careful up high if you get that far.

Default Funny Water

Like what is up with the water at the lake? Lots of Overflow?

Default Taz river

The iceberg lakes blew out about three weeks ago. Check out pictures on general discussion posts. They were taken close to Richardson Hwy bridge. Not sure what condition lake is in now though. I would be leary of the area.

Default I know of no trail system around Thompson pass

I know of no trail system around Thompson Pass. Too steep and rugged. Friends do a trip down one side over to the Copper River and then to Cordova in good weather. But they side hill and do things this old body won't attempt. Some people ride the pipeline access roads. There is a trail at about 60 mile across from the DOT station heading east. Have not been back there in the winter. Someone has probably broken it in though. There is also a Tazlina Lake Trail but condition is unknown. We had some BIG flooding back in November and I doubt if anyone has had a chance to rebuild trails. Any trail along the Richardson may not be good any more. That flooding in November did tremendous damage from about 80 mile down.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 02-27-2007 at 23:30. Reason: missing t

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Trails all over TP

Go to Tonsina Lodge and look at the map. Big black lines show where the trails go. There is a Ton of riding to be had in the area. If your looking for actual groomed or packed trails.... well.... they may be buried under 3 feet of fresh powder. Well hopefully they will be (snow gods please help us). If your into boondocking it's definately the place to go.

Yea there are plenty of trails that lead from T Pass North to Eureka. Some excellent riding through that area.

I go to T Pass a few times a year and learned the area myself.
    Hard to get lost, but its a good idea to be avy savy and to make sure if you go down you can get back up.
    Especially in the spring when the snow softens during the day.

There is all kinds of different skill levels of riding just use some common sense.

Be careful. One person's idea of a trail is not equal to another's. Yes there are tons of places to go in Thompson, but there is not a "trail system" there. Lots of glacier travel and avalanche country. Be prepared and watch the weather during the days ride. It can change in a heart beat. Let us know if you wouldn't mind a few of us to tag along.

Default Thanks for the insights.

I appreciate the insights to the Thompson Pass area and T lake. I will of course use good sense and watch for the dangers of the area. I was hoping that someone was riding with a GPS and had downloads of where they were riding. I will be sure to swing by the lodge and check out the map for the trials. I am still interested in hearing about the T lake and PAss.

I beleive that the cold snap we are getting will be around for another week. Will know better tomorrow, but the computer modles on the NWS site show a persistand cold front. Bad news...high winds starting Thursday thru Friday, 35-45 from the north, might last into the weekend.

There was a low that may squat in the PW sound a week from Monday that could drop some snow, but the pattern seems to be pushing those lows towards the SE.

Default Incredible riding area!

Explored the T Pass area last Spring during the Valdez Hill Climb event. We parked/camped on the road to Worthington glacier. Lots of trails and riders there last year and awsome riding. We followed the pipeline trail to the Tsina river then went upstream. There was some well packed trails last year yet lots of nice powder/hills to play on. You can check out valdezsnow.com and I downloaded a trail map from aksnowAssoc. Sorry now GPS stuff. Also, there are Heli-ski operators in that area ... maybe they have some GPS stuff.

Default Update on the Glacier dams

We were briefed today the there was another breech of the glacier dams again. Douglask, thanks for the tip on the websites.

Default This weekend

Check the weather reports from the National Weather Service before coming down. Winds to 80 mph with wind chills to -50 right now. Not diminishing till maybe Sat. afternon. Gonna be mighty cold.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012