Thread: Bill in Legislature seeks to fence in Delta bison

Default Bill in Legislature seeks to fence in Delta bison

Representative Dick has introduced HB 187 to amend existing statute governing management of Delta bison. The bill is pasted in below.

We have gone over this issue here before. There is overwhelming public opposition to fencing in the Delta bison herd. The working group and Advisory Committees don't want that either. So I'm not sure why Rep Dick is pushing this bill that, the way I read it, seeks to mandate fencing in the bison in some form.

There is also another bill from Rep Dick, and Rep. Feige, who is the co-chair of House Resource committee, regarding wood bison (HB 186), that seeks to take away authority of ADFG to reintroduce wood bison and tie that to what may happen with the Delta bison issue. You can read both of the bills at this link

I encourage hunters to voice their opposition to HB 187 and fencing in the Delta bison herd by sending in comments to the House resources committee and Rep. Dick.

Here is Rep. Dick's contact info:
    Rep_Alan_Dick@legis.state.ak.us

Staff:
    Paul Verhagen
    paul.verhagen@legis.state.ak.us
    907-465-2847
    Jan-Apr

Cynthia Erickson
    cynthia.erickson@legis.state.ak.us
    907-465-4527
    Jan-Apr

Here is contact info for House Resources committee:
    Staff

Louie Flora
    Committee Aide
    louie_flora@legis.state.ak.us
    907-465-3923
    Jan-Apr

Linda Hay
    Committee Aide
    linda_hay@legis.state.ak.us
    907-465-3715
    Jan-Apr

HB0187a
    New Text Underlined [DELETED TEXT BRACKETED]
    HOUSE BILL NO. 187

IN THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF ALASKA
    TWENTY-SEVENTH LEGISLATURE - FIRST SESSION
    BY REPRESENTATIVE DICK
    Introduced: 3/10/11
    Referred: Resources

A BILL
    FOR AN ACT ENTITLED
    "An Act relating to game management of bison."

BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF ALASKA:
    * Section 1. AS 16.20.310(a) is amended to read:
    (a) The commissioner shall develop and may amend a game management plan for bison in the area described in AS 16.20.300. After holding public hearings in accordance with AS 44.62.310 - 44.62.319 (Open Meetings Act), the commissioner shall implement the game management plan. In developing and amending a game management plan, the commissioner shall also take into consideration studies and suggestions from working groups or task forces related to the game management plan.

* Sec. 2. AS 16.20.310(b) is amended to read:
    (b) The game management plan must include, but is not limited to
    (1) planting grains for bison and planting other wildlife forage;
    (2) altering existing plant cover to create additional range and year
    round habitat for bison and other animal species in the area;
    (3) tilling to produce forage;
    (4) designing, developing, and building diversionary or temporary
    3 fencing, holding pens, and other apparatus to prevent the movement of bison into agricultural areas.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Representative Dick

Refreshing to finally see Politicians with names appropriate to their role.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

How challenged are these guys? Every property owner in the state if not the nation knows that if you want to keep things out of YOUR yard YOU buy a fence... Why do these Delta farmers seem to be so perplexed by this concept?

In most western states, if an area is open range you are required to build a fence to keep livestock OUT. If it's not open range the livestock owner is required to build a fence to keep their livestock IN. Bison are not livestock so it's up to the state to provide protection for the landowner or compensation for damages. All over the U.S. farmers are compensated and protected from crop damage by wild animals. While I don't agree with Rep. Dick's bill, there is certainly precedent for it in other states.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    In most western states, if an area is open range you are required to build a fence to keep livestock OUT. If it's not open range the livestock owner is required to build a fence to keep their livestock IN. Bison are not livestock so it's up to the state to provide protection for the landowner or compensation for damages. All over the U.S. farmers are compensated and protected from crop damage by wild animals. While I don't agree with Rep. Dick's bill, there is certainly precedent for it in other states.
    Per the information in your post, it would appear that that precedent applies to livestock, not wild animals. You could make a reasonable case for the farmers who had operations prior to the introduction, but I believe any farmers who came into operation with full knowledge of the presence of bison should be SOL.

So if I fence off my Mountain Ash trees, and run 'lectric wire around my vegetable garden to keep out those pesky moose, can I send the bill to the State??

Makes 'bout as much sense as Dick's Bill.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

So if I fence off my Mountain Ash trees, and run 'lectric wire around my vegetable garden to keep out those pesky moose, can I send the bill to the State??
    I doubt they will pay for that, but they will send out a guy to kill a moose that has become so honery as to cause a problem. They will also send out a guy (or allow you to do it) to kill a bear that messes with your stuff and you haven't provided the bear a reason to be there (ie:dog food or garbage)

Hey, I'm just bringing up what happens in other states. I'm not saying it's right, but I can see where Dick is coming from.

Per the information in your post, it would appear that that precedent applies to livestock, not wild animals.
    That's in the second part of my paragraph.

Besides, if you read the bill it's not a bill to necessarily fence in bison (or fence out bison) it's an amendment to the current law that will allow fencing and other methods to control their movements out of agricultural areas.

Where is the 'most' Alaskans that want a fence? I for one enjoy seeing the Bison roam free. I know we do not live there but the wifes family did home stead there a long time ago.
    I would think the our people in Juneau have better things to address then the stupid fence idea!

That's in the second part of my paragraph.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, noted. Still, the farmers who came after the introduction are akin to people building on flood plains and asking "what gives?" when things start getting wet...

I would think they would have better things to do than banning cell phones in cars, but they still do a ton of frivulous things in Juneau.

Ahh, noted. Still, the farmers who came after the introduction are akin to people building on flood plains and asking "what gives?" when things start getting wet...
    I agree. However, this is kind of a special case since the State promoted and subsidized the ag program in Delta.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I agree. However, this is kind of a special case since the State promoted and subsidized the ag program in Delta.
    Not everyone gets to be on a finance committee, and as such, we get this sort of legislation sponsored....Although the state promoted/subsidized the ag program, did it specifically have provisions immunizing participants against wildlife (Bison included) damage? If not, I believe my initial analogy stands. I could offer you a free house in an avalanche zone and pay you to live in it, but I would not be responsible for any avalanche damage that you incurred at a later date. Not my problem.

I got curious about state compensation for damage cause by wildlife. Found an interesting paper here:

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_d...um/yoderHR.pdf

It notes

"In return for compensation, agencies often place requirements on landowner abatement, land-use practices, and hunting access."

Doesn't look like that is part of the bill....I guess if you're sponsoring it, no reason to put any onerous terms on yourself...

Guys it really comes down to the farmers wanting some more money from the state. They have been getting away with saying the bison is the reason they arnt turning a proffit so they are looking for away to get out of there dept. The thing is, wether the state does this or not, they win on both acounts, 1. they can fight in court that the past dept. was caused by the bison. 2. Is that when they win ( If the people/state will let them), they get a clean slate. The state has put so much money into this farce they want to try to get out from under it. Hey use the buff as an escape goat.

The bison arnt the problem, the state is.

I grew up in Delta Jct and the fact is I've never seen a fence that could stop a herd of buffalo short of 4 inch steal pipe 10 ft high

Correct me if I am wrong, but there are land owners who require a tresspass fee and others that do not allow hunting on thier property correct? I have absolutly no problem with this as it is thier land to do what they want with. What I do have a problem with is, being compensated by the State for crop damages and are still allowed to carry on with this practice. It should be out there someplace that if they recieve any state aid they must open thier land to hunting to help alleviate the problem.
    I grew up in ND and the farmers/ranchers there are recieving aid because of all of the deer eating thier hay piles in the winter, but every bit of land is posted up tight and no hunting allowed for miles around. In my mind this is wrong because it is the sportsmans dollars that are helpng them with a problem that was created because of them keeping the sportsmen out.

They are an invasive animal... Should be all shot and reintroduce the woodland bison... Lol this should get some folks riled up. This is what's going to happen... The state will either ask queen Lisa or boy toy mark for some federal money to fund this. Because as Alaskans that's what we do best ask for federal money... Me I don't care I don't waste 10 bucks on this tag and because I don't ever plan on hunting them.