Thread: Fly Reel Questions

Default Fly Reel Questions

I just picked up another 7wt ( 9'6" St Croix Legend Ultra) and need to buy a reel for it. I have been fond of Lamson reels but am wanting to maybe try something different. I have been looking at Nautilus, Abel, and Galvan reels. I am thinking of putting the Rio Versitip fly line system on it. I primarily will use this setup for Big Bows and Steelies. Any insight would be helpful.

How much do you wanna spend, and how are things like tolerances, weight, drag materials, aesthetics, customer service, etc, prioritized for you? Do you want to be able to customize your reel, and if so, to what extent?

The 3 companies you listed make excellent products, but most of their reels are $400+. All 3 have diferent design aesthetics, as well as acceptable standards of machining. All use different drag designs, and the various 7 and 8wt models are all variable enough in weight to be different. All 3 offer custom options, from superficially aesthetic to fully functional...

I own both the mid- and top-end reels made by all these companies (Galvan Rush & Torque; Abel Big Game & Super; Nautilus CCF & NV), so I have gone through this process before.

The Nautilus reel is one of the best on the market. What makes them stand out from the crowd is they are lighter than the other 2 mentioned and are designed to hold up to Tarpon and Permit. Having said that, they are extremely weather resistant and more importantly is one of the few reels on the market that has a true "water proof" drag. The CCF and the NV are in a league of their own. I own both and they are without a doubt bullet proof. Cheers!

Well I went to both World Wide Angler and Mossys today to look at reels. I looked at both the Nautilus NV and FWX at WWA. Was only turned off by the guy behind the counters lack of knowledge and enthusiasm about selling reels. So I went to Mossys and looked at the Torque and at a Velocity. I gotta say that Lamson felt really good! Plus the guys at Mossys are great! Still holding out........

Great rod man, my St Croix Legend Ultra 6wt is one of my favorites. As for reels, Lamson Guru is my first thought. Order it online from Yager's Fly Shop and he will put backing and a premium line on it. Only charges like $40 for $60-70 lines. Just ordered two myself. He is a good dude, ordered from him many times in the past.

http://www.yagersflies.com/wagurenewfor.html

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Be sure to check what your local shops will do for you as well before you order.

Another reel you might want to put the touch and feel on is a Hatch. Not a cheap reel but more along the lines of the Nautilus reels with a complete sealed drag system, made in the US and a strong smooth drag.

Just food for thought
    "The Tug is the Drug"

True, you guys got lots of great fly shops here. I have spent the last 6 years in Nome, Kotz, and Nantucket.

I have learned how to shop online out of necessity

There are many benefits to buying locally when the opportunity is afforded.

For other ideas on high end reels, check out the Solitude reels. Chuck keeps raving on and on about how awesome they are and he has fished his HARD. Might have to give one a try myself. Not sure where you can buy them locally, Mossy's Fly Shop perhaps.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Galvan all the way. I have the Torque T6 mounted on a Z-axis 10' 7wt. I use it primarily for bows and steelies high sticking. You will not be disappointed. I bought my first Galvan while on a fishing trip in Nor Cal in the nineties and he was basically making them in his garage and have hooked ever since. Excellent company, top notch reels and a great price point. Nautilus are nice, Abel is an overpriced of Gucci gear. Galvan will beat them all and you can spend the savings on some extra beer on your next trip. Cheers, tight lines sir.
    Last edited by AlpineEarl; 03-13-2011 at 16:26. Reason: typo

Hatch has definitely sparked my interest. I love buying locally from the little guys if the prices right. If not I am with you Dan, get the deal where you can! Not gonna lie, I got that Legend Ultra online for cheap! I am going to hold out for the Sportsmans show and see what kind of Deals pop up!

Solitude reels are very nice. However, vie been wanting one of those Galvan reels for a while now. I've got Lamsons, Tobit, etc, but something about the Galvan Torque seems just right.

i just recently picked up a lamson konic 3.5 for my 7 wt, used it twice and love it. smooth and love the finish.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

I love the Cortland Climax V1 it is an affordable reel which outperforms more expensive ones. I have one on my 9WT. I just recently bought a St. Croix Avid 7WT and I ordered a Redington CDL Titanium 7WT. I got it in the mail today and I am not impressed compaired to the V1 which costs $75 less. I should have bought another V1, I may return this one and just suck on the shipping.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    True, you guys got lots of great fly shops here. I have spent the last 6 years in Nome, Kotz, and Nantucket.

I have learned how to shop online out of necessity

There are many benefits to buying locally when the opportunity is afforded.

For other ideas on high end reels, check out the Solitude reels. Chuck keeps raving on and on about how awesome they are and he has fished his HARD. Might have to give one a try myself. Not sure where you can buy them locally, Mossy's Fly Shop perhaps.

-Dan
    I've been fishing with Solitude's reels for the last 2.5 years. I fish all year including every weekend during the winter. I've treated this reel pretty rough for the last year and it performs exceptionally. I've used this reel when it was -15 degrees and had no problems. They're bomb proof with a sweet, strong, smooth drag and made in the USA at an affordable price.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

I think they are all good reels, but I think Galvins look the sexiest which is really all that matters
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I roll w/ Ross. I know they're spendy but hey nothing but the best for me. Oh and Sportsmans Warehouse carrys them so I don't have to deal w/ specialty flyshops. I can't stand guys that try and turn their hobby into a job

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I roll w/ Ross. I know they're spendy but hey nothing but the best for me. Oh and Sportsmans Warehouse carrys them so I don't have to deal w/ specialty flyshops. I can't stand guys that try and turn their hobby into a job
    Bush, I roll with Ross as well. The CLA is bullet proff IMHO. I have some of their higher end reels as well and they all have worked great for me. You either love 'em or hate 'em, but in all reality the fish don't know what your using. It's all about presentation and having a good drag system, which I think Ross has. To each his own, go with what you like.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Hmm, hate guides too? What about commercial fisherman that like to fish? And some teachers? Don't like some coaches either? How about pilots?

Heres one for you guys. Just wondering what you guys think. Does fly reel/rod color matter? Black, Silver, Grey, Green, Gold, Red, etc does it matter when fishing in the Fresh, does it matter when fishing in the Salt? Do the fish care? Any ideas from Trout to Bonefish, does it matter?

Don't you know that the fish only like black rods in th AM an green rode in the PM ,
    just kidding good luck on what ever you buy an use